It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Therapies For PTSD & Anxiety

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

page 1:
www.mdjunction.com...

page 2
www.mdjunction.com...

. . .
Behavioral Activation Therapy (BAT) page 4 is a treatment for depression that seeks to help people understand environmental sources of their depression, and seeks to target behaviors that might maintain or worsen the depression.

Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)page 1these "holistic" therapies include: Aromatherapy, Acupuncture, Yoga and Herbal Treatments

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)page 4 helps you change the thought patterns that keep you from overcoming your anxiety.

Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)page 4 helps you process your emotions about the traumatic event and learn how to challenge your thinking patterns.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)page 4
. . .
[from page 2]:
. . .
KittenMittens
3 years ago
Group Leader•7 years on site•23024 posts
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
My daughter, Michelle, went through EMDR for 'Adjustment Disorder'. Adjustment disorder is a group of symptoms, such as stress, feeling sad or hopeless, and physical symptoms that can occur after you go through a stressful life event.
She explained to me, "The symptoms occur because you are having a hard time coping, and the reaction is stronger or greater than what would be expected for the type of event that occurred."
She also said that EMDR was extremely useful in restructuring her thought processes. "One thing" she says, "that needs to be done is to be completely honest, brutally honest and accepting of the situation. As children with limited understanding we all experience Core Traumas (CT's). These CTs set up our automatic response to traumas that are experienced later in life."
. . .

This appears to be a rather exhaustive list of treatments for PTSD and anxiety.
There's usually a good summary of the treatment and several comments by other readers--many of whom have tried that particular treatment or who have a close relative or friend who has tried that method of treatment.
The commentaries I read were quite good--accurate, fitting, clear, helpful.
It could be a daunting task to review all the treatments. I think the most helpful are on pages 1 & 2.
The "Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) method is more powerful than some might think. I have a couple of colleagues who were trained in it and have achieved routinely excellent results with it.
I'm still trying to get one of my Marine friends to go get the treatment from them. I believe he'd be over a ton of stuff, if he would.
Anyway--imho, the info is well worth considering. All the more so if the PTSD is severe with brutal consequences for family members close at hand.
If you would do well to share this info with those you know--please do--it might be LIFE SAVING--literally.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Seems to me if you got a bunch of people pointing out that you are damaged, it would be counterproductive. Learning to be satisfied with what you need, a few good friends being part of that equation, is the best. Most people get anxious trying to please people they should not be worried about pleasing. Chilling out is the best.

Post traumatic Stress is different though. You still need to let go of that time, learning not to ponder on the past bad events. I will let that up to people who went through it to help those who are suffering from it. I don't think someone who has never experienced something can comprehend how it feels.

I had a friend who had that, the events of the vietnam war were always present in the back of his mind and he would go back when he talked about it. I listened but learned to change the subject because he would get obsessed with it if we kept on the subject. We would start talking about his other passion, remodeling his house. He actually taught me a lot about carpet and vinyl flooring installation. I taught him some of what I knew about carpentry and drywall and plumbing and heating. We also talked about hunting deer quite a bit.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Folks with PTSD tend to ruminate a lot and very destructively.

It can be challenging to get them out of that deep rut.

Some folks are very empathetic without having experienced exactly the same thing.

Major destructive experiences of all types--not just war types--of events tend to result in PTSD. It's more common than folks realize. It just hides under other labels.

There is a time to listen, raw out and help folks re-assess, face, feel the emotion more fully, and then lay it all aside. Most need help in doing that.

Thanks for your kind reply and good points.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

The "Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) method is more powerful than some might think. I have a couple of colleagues who were trained in it and have achieved routinely excellent results with it.

EMDR does work.

I had a Therapist who used EMDR to treat my PTSD and in 45 minutes he was able to remove the PTSD of that trauma for good.

All the side effects that I had with the PTSD went away as well and has never returned. I am a survivor of serious child abuse, mentally and physically.

I put myself though 16 years of Therapy, however there was one case that all the talking in the world with the therapist was not helping me with the PTSD.

I was very lucky, because my therapist just finished a course in EMDR. It worked and I was able to put that trauma away for good.

EMDR has been used by the Chinese for over 3,000 years. It is to believe that aliens gave them this method to cure PTSD.

Years ago after I was treated and cured from PTSD, I called the Veterans Administration in NC, so they could treat vets with PTSD with EMDR.

I told them what internet sites had all the information that proves EMDR really works. Sad to say, they were not interested.
edit on 30-4-2016 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

THANKS for sharing that and for trying to get the VA to pay attention. I think I'll ask my MD at the local VA clinic about it. My Marine friend really needs it.

Congrats on finding a solution. Thanks for your candid sharing.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Greetings-

You 'may' also look into Ayahuasca, but usually the caveat is that You are NOT currently prescribed an anti-depressant.

I was Rx as having PTSD back in 2008, and not wanting to take another BigPHarma™ poison, I was already taking 7 Rx meds. I looked into "Ayurveda' and meditation is part of that natural approach. In My personal research (In today's climate if the patient is NOT their own best advocate, in My opinion, they will be "sunk"-The Ones making a $$$ like folks to be 'sunk' Sunk = more $$)

I will have occasional 'flare ups' and then I have to 'force Myself' to be "Quiet" Notice that there are even more distractions so One doesn't get 'Quiet'? Coincidence?
Before One would have to go to Peru or the Amazon to use Ayahuasca, not anymore as there are now Centers in the U.S. it is costly and time consuming but an alternative, especially if One would like to delve into what else is out there..

www.fromshocktoawe.com...

www.cnn.com...

reset.me...

Best of Luck in combatting this.

••• Your Mileage May Vary •••

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I have no awareness of all that. It's totally beyond my reading, knowledge or study.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I apologize, in My former Life I tried My best to be 'clear, concise and to the point' while writing a report that hopefully didn't give a defense attorney the avenue to poke holes in it. Too wordy?

The first link has videos that may be easier to consume.

namaste

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

NO sweat on my account.

Feel free to write a short summary of the key issues and effects, if you're inclined.

Thanks for stopping in on the thread.

new topics

top topics

join