It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How you spell “The Berenstain Bears” could be proof of parallel universes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
what do you guys think? I'm always looking for glitches in the system...

It was this innocent comment left on a post about parallel universes that first pulled Rob Schwarz of Stranger Dimensions into one of the internet’s strangest theories. It involves The Berenstein Bears, a loving family of anthropomorphized bears who taught children life lessons via hundreds of picture books and two TV shows. But the problem is they aren’t The Berenstein Bears, they’re The Berenstain Bears.

link to source

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
There's tons of threads on this. Look up "the Mandela Effect".
Here's one:
Link

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz sorry if redundant, mods please delete if needed. I was just surprised and curious about this topic when I came across it tonight.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This has been discussed countless times. Human memory is far from perfect. Quite interesting, from a neuroscience perspective, but proof of parallel universes it is not.

Edit: I remember 'Stein', but my books that I have from when I was a child say otherwise.
edit on 4/29/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: hiii_98

Stein hands down I recall not being able to pronounce it right so I had to ask others that's why it sticks in my head.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I remember (misremember?) it being with an 'e' from just a few years ago when my kids watched it. I would have remembered the word "stain" at the end, and instead remembered "stein" like a beer stein. I can't NOT see words like that - it's how I learned to read.

Freaky. It's new to me, btw, so... ???

Brain hurts now.

- AB

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard me too, it blew my mind when I read about this. I'm also a believer in this entire world being a simulation, and this somewhat supports that theory.

edit on 29-4-2016 by hiii_98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Does it have something to do with Aliens and UFOs?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
It was a time slip and remembering '-stein' is a residual memory.

I just don't see how a parallel universe without more obvious signs, unless the parallel worlds closest to each other have most similarities?

Then again, what if time is cyclical, we've already been through a few bing bangs and apocalypses, and now are remembering things from the last cycle!

edit on 29-4-2016 by GodEmperor because: time slipped

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage of course who do you think is writing the code?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Leonard Bernstein was a well recognized personality, especially 20 to 30 years ago, so I think his existence is in the set of possibilities that simile and repetition are key factors in the misreading of the bears name.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I remembered stein, but my little sisters books said different. I believe there are other dimensions, but as for the Universe, I believe it is real. I also believe it shouldnt be, and there should be no energy, or mass. There should be nothing, yet there is. Its as if there was nothing, and someone flipped it inside out and made it into something
edit on 29-4-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
When I was a yoot, maybe '66 or so, and was first learning how the English language worked at a very tender age, I was very surprised one near Christmas that Berenstain was spelled with a tain instead of a tein, since I had never ever seen that ending on a name.

So I had been reading it as "stein". One day it sort of jumped off the page at me that it was "stain". And I thought it was a misprint, since I had been reading it as "stein", because that's the common name suffix. But it wasn't. It was "stain", and I had been seeing what I expected to see, instead of what was there. It bothered me for a good 15 minutes, because when I went back to look at other sources, it was all 'stain' the entire time. Which sent me off into a retrospect (without a lot of retro, because I was maybe 3 or 4) about how I had been seeing what I expected instead of what was actually there.

I think that's the entire "effect". Your mind was substituting in what you expected to see, because Germanic names of that sort end in 'stein' not 'stain'. So you elided the 'error' and subbed in the 'right' spelling in your eye flow. Until you didn't, and it was a big shock that NOW it was all 'stain'. So instead of saying 'wow, I've been visually correcting this to match what I expected, that's f'd up', it's "the universe has been altered!!!".

The universe is the same. YOU have just noticed something about yourself, and it's f'd up. Yes, you ARE seeing things that aren't there because your mind is swapping in what it expected to see. That's a big surprise. But it happens ALL THE TIME. It gets worse than that, if you notice that your eyes are lying about a lot of things. Your memory too.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I love you man! It is "stein" from when I'm from. But EVERYTING will now say "stain" So now WHEN?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Well, I'm probably the only person here who remembers it always as "stain". The reason being that I always knew that the pronunciation was with the long "a" sound, which only makes sense with a spelling of "stain" (since "stein" is usually pronounced with either a long "e" or long "i" sound).

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

what do you guys think? I'm always looking for glitches in the system...

no you are looking for any excuse to deny your faliability

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Regional pronunciation. People forget the affect of their environment. I remember The Berenstain Bears.

Answer me this, a man named Beilstein, how would you pronounce his name phonetically?

My wife pronounces his Surname, Beal-stine. My Mother-in-Law pronounces it as Bil-Steen.

Again, it all circles back to language, reading, writing, and a form of regional language arts. This is called dialect, or in America it is known loosely as "accent", either way, what one remembers versus what one can articulate seems to be the divide.

edit on 30-4-2016 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I suspect that the problem here is that the people who remember it as Berenstein were kids in the 80s and 90s. I agree with Bedlam. You expected it to be Stein, because that was more common and expected, like Einstein. I was an adult at that time, and I remember Berenstain. Although I also remember most kids incorrectly called them Berenstein Bears. I corrected my own kids. I couldn't reach EVERY kid. Sorry.
I am not trashing the entire Mandela Effect. I remember New Zealand being above Australia, and Mirror Mirror on the wall as opposed to Magic Mirror. But I remember Berenstain.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 321equinox

If people would read the stories, rather than be read, told, or try and repeat second hand stories, then there would be no mistake as to the original prose.

It is no wonder why this has become an issue with youth. Fewer and Fewer read original published works of art. Words are absorbed or viewed via the Internet, by pictures, memes, and posts. "Viewed", not read.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Nope me to. My mom even made a point about it telling me other people pronounce it wrong.. Always stain for me..
That's not to say I haven't noticed any weirdness with things changing. Jupiter rising was the name of Jupiter ascending in the movie theater preview I watched.. Google wasn't even kind enough to show me "ascending" when I typed rising.. No results.. Did a lot of digging and found reference to it as Jupiter rising.. I'm assuming it could have been a copyright issue or something they tried to bury.

Funny thing was some of the google results said rising but you click the link and it says ascending.. And the other way too some of the Google results showed ascending but upon clicking the Google link it was now rising..

If time slips do occur only particular people will remember any change. Most will think the change always was.

Who knows?
😜

And it was always mirror mirror on the wall.. Ehh lol

a reply to: Monsieur Neary

edit on 30-4-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join