It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reagan's Daughter Criticizes Will Ferrell Over Planned Alzheimer's Comedy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I have to agree with you 100%. This is part of life, all of us at some point will deal with this issue. Just like we have to deal with all the other life shaping moments. There is always a way to find something positive in something so negative. The disease is frustrating, tiresome and life altering....but there are those moments when things that happen are humorous. Those are the moments that you remember when the person is gone.

We can't take these things so seriously that we then stop the conversation.
edit on 29-4-2016 by Watcher777 because: Didn't pay attention to the article.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Oh look the conservatives get a dose of their own medicine and now complaining about it.

Not a lot of conservatives making movies in Hollywood.
Oh, I see... you were making apples and oranges.

edit on b000000302016-04-29T12:30:30-05:0012America/ChicagoFri, 29 Apr 2016 12:30:30 -05001200000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It's in bad taste, but he should make it if he feels like it is a worthy project. The only thing that comes to mind are double standards. We can make fun of a horrible disease, but you can't draw a prophet or wear a presidential clown mask? Sure seems hypocritical.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I understand the Reagan's feelings, however Reagan was an actor and also the president of the USA so his plight would be interesting to some (although not myself) - provided handled well. Most alzheimer sufferers aren't so high profile as Reagan was so their situation wouldn't be of interest.

I get it you disapprove and many others do also, but perhaps a good film would give many viewers an idea of what alzheimers' is all about because although we are promised cures almost every year nothing has yet materialised and many people are getting this disease. Perhaps a little more knowledge of how it affects one may help a lot of people. I wouldn't be surprised if Reagan himself might not have approved.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
I never thought I'd see the words Alzheimer's and comedy in the same sentence. I was reading through comments earlier, and like with most things, I have a feeling that people who don't see the big deal with it have never had a personal experience watching a loved one suffer from the disease.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think what people are forgetting is that it's comedy.

There have been a ton of different ailments brought up in comedy. There are a ton of different types of comedy. Same as there's different types of romance, sci-fi, fantasy and so on.

I like some things my friends don't and they like things I don't. That doesn't make me or them wrong.

It comes down to this, if you don't like it, don't watch it. It really is that simple.

PS. My grandmother had Alzheimers and dementia before she died. There were times it was funny. There were also times it was very sad. But I'll likely watch this if/when it comes out.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: butcherguy
I think it is in very bad taste to do a movie like that.

Imagine a remake of the movie 'Philadelphia' ( link ) as a comedy.... making fun of homosexuals dying from AIDS.

How would that go over?

Maybe some laughs could be had from FDR's polio. Wheel chairs are hilarious.

Am I a bad person because I laughed when I read this? I pictured will Ferrell playing FDR & getting pissed all the time about the lack of wheelchair ramps & being a total prick & acting superior to everyone. Talking crap about people who have to walk all the time & always saying what a great president he is. Making secret service carry him around the room while he talks to diplomats & pours himself drinks.
Maybe physical ailments are more PC than mental ones?

edit on 29-4-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2016 by SmurfRider because: Typos

If the Reagan movie is done like stranger than fiction, with a more serious tone, I could see it working. The premise put forth in the OP doesn't sound like a slapstick comedy.
edit on 29-4-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

I think its really important for life in general, but with Alzheimer's specifically, the results can be absolutely profound.

As evidenced by responses here and elsewhere, the idea of humor is not just foreign, but actively perceived as somehow morally inferior or born of ignorance.

And yet, it may be the single factor in improving the experience with Alzheimer's for both the patient and the family. It certainly doesn't compare with a cure, but I'll take a smile and laughter over abject horror any day of the week.

The biggest issue is that this approach is much more effective if it begins before the person with Alzheimer's completely 'disconnects.' In truth, its "social engineering," but as with any tool, its how we use it that matters.

Once the foundation is laid, the experience is completely different than the fear-based standard which currently exists.

A movie like this could actually have a positive impact in how we experience this disease, as media can seep into the psyche very readily in such a conditioned population.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I just heard on the news that Ferrell has taken himself out of the film.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I heard that on the way back from picking my son up too.

I'll say it again. I think you could do a comedy about Alzheimer's and a comedy about Reagan. However, when you start making a comedy about a specific person where the point of the comedy and the jokes hinges on their specific ailment or disability, you are really running the risk of making it 90 minutes of cruel and mean-spirited mockery.

And you can inject comedic elements into a movie about Reagan coping with his Alzheimer's. But such movies that handle those subjects are generally dramas and not comedies.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
While i do agree with the no crowd, if you stop one you stop them all because: there is no equality otherwise.

So im torn, who gets to decide which life threatening illnesses are funny or not?

I guess it comes down the movie itself , can it be done with taste?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Ignorant conservatives: "I can't stand you PC people! It's comedy! Stop being so stupid"

And now

"Totally not cool. That's in really bad taste and shouldn't be done"

You are all jokes

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Let the box office sales decide.

2 cents.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
While i do agree with the no crowd, if you stop one you stop them all because: there is no equality otherwise.

So im torn, who gets to decide which life threatening illnesses are funny or not?

I guess it comes down the movie itself , can it be done with taste?

We'll find out. Just because Ferell isn't in it doesn't mean they won't make it.

But if Hollywood's idea of funny is to remake Ghostbusters with an all-female cast and Chris Hemsworth pretending to be a nerd, then I don't hold out high hopes of true genius.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Let the box office sales decide.

2 cents.

Depends on the number of Reagan Haters vs. the number of people who think Alzheimers is not hilarious.
Either way, there's enough market to make it successful and warrant a sequel.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Bad taste should never be censored, in my opinion.

If it was, we'd never see the Kardashians again.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Bad taste should never be censored, in my opinion.

If it was, we'd never see the Kardashians again.

The problem is 'Bad' Taste...is being homogenized up to 'Taste'.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't think anyone has necessarily called for it to be censored, or at least I haven't. But I do think the idea is in very bad taste, and I'm extremely suspicious of the idea of Hollywood putting this out there. It just doesn't pass my smell test.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Will Ferrell hasn't seen a dime of my money in years. This movie won't either. I'll personally boycott it. But I've been boycotting everything that didn't have Iron Man or Captain America in it for years, thanks to my youngest son.

Taste differs with time. I personally can't stand watching anything made in the 60's, unless it was a western.

Let this define those that support and star in it. Let this insult to the millions who suffer or who have loved ones suffer, define those that support it.

It's on them.

If they want to debase themselves to such a disgusting level, then they should be free to do so.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Ferrell's spokesperson said that he was never officially attached: "The Reagan script is one of a number of scripts that had been submitted to Will Ferrell which he had considered. While it is by no means a 'Alzheimers comedy' as has been suggested, Mr. Ferrell is not pursuing this project."

The log-line for the project, via the Black List, reads: "When Ronald Reagan falls into dementia at the start of his second term, an ambitious intern is tasked with convincing the Commander-In-Chief that he is an actor playing the President in a movie."

"While it is by no means a 'Alzheimers comedy'..." ----Riiiiight. Story synopsis says otherwise.

The project, titled Reagan, was written by Mike Rosolio, and had been on the 2015 Black List of the best unproduced screenplays.

On Friday, the Alzheimer's Association criticized the planned project, stating: "Would filmmakers consider using a fatal form of cancer or another deadly disease for comedy? It's time to stop this forever."

www.msn.com...

"Would filmmakers consider using a fatal form of cancer or another deadly disease for comedy? It's time to stop this forever."

Right. When is the Beau Biden Brain Cancer comedy coming out?
edit on 29-4-2016 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join