It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Husband Denied Prescription Refill...Because of Prince

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Thank you MysterX and Squirlli and stosh64, appreciate the support!

I guess I really wanted somebody else to tell me that "yes" the doctor's behaviour was...abnormal.

I know he had put in a full day at the office, and then had a good 30 people stuffed into his waiting room for the after 5 clinic. I'm sure he had 'had enough', but he is the one who took on too many patients.

He doesn't even visit his patients in the hospital anymore, he's given up his hospital rights due to lack of time.

Unfortunately it seems that he's let greed take control of his decisions, and now everyone must pay.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: jacygirl

An office visit isn't going there for a dr to sign your scrips. It's a full visit, dialog,something documented. Drs don't just sign narc scrips at the door and to expect him to is a gross misunderstanding on your part.if your husband really needs pain mess like that he should be with a pain Doctor not his pcp.

Your hubby handing his scrips to be filled probably set the dr off in the first place because he has no duty just to hand you painkillers like candy. You have to realize what your MD already realized, that everytime you go in there and pick up a narcotic, you are making a permanent record with your Dr and the federal govt. that can be seen for basically ever by anyone with a license.

OP is in Canada. The laws changed here and may not have changed there. IF the OP has had no problem since the middle of last year, their laws may not have changed at all. If the doctor has been doing this for years, they had an expectation and if they didn't go in too early or exhibit other behaviors of abuse... the the doctor in no way should force her husband to come off opiates cold turkey he has been on for that long. It is a health risk.

TO OP - It sounds like your Doc may be under investigation for over prescribing. I hope you find a new doc soon. Coming off of that stuff cold turkey is a bitch. I am sorry you are dealing with this. Here in the US it has become so difficult and near to impossible to find a doctor that will treat pain. At least in my area at any rate. Best of luck to both of you.
edit on 4/29/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Well considering your husband is taking such strong meds he is in massive amounts of pain.

I would assume you have had to take your husband to the emergency room with the pain considering he no longer has any method of controlling it.

This has likely given you some sort of cost due to treatment maybe affecting your insurance.

I suggest you send the insurance bill to said doctor for him to pay.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Sounds like you're right about the Doc...$ signs in his eyes.

Do you live in a state where medical Cannabis is available to your Husband?

It doesn't get rid of the pain, but rather it will dramatically raise your Husband's tolerence for pain, and it should bother him a lot less...if he's worried about negative smoking effects, the internet is full of tasty recipe's for baking with it? (even donuts i hear
)

Just a thought.

edit on 29 4 2016 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Hello and thank you!
Hubby leaves town at 5 am to travel to the construction site (usually an hour away), and doesn't get back to town before 7 pm ever. Taking a few painkillers (a VERY few) is really his only option...he doesn't even drive, so it's almost impossible to get to a pain clinic appt.

Kangaruex4Ewe...Thank you! No law has changed that would affect a patient receiving regular refills on a prescription that he has been taking for a period of time. Especially a patient who takes very few.
This was personal...Prince's death must be hitting him hard. (yeah that was mean sarcasm)

Nexttimemaybe....Thank you! The wait time at our hospital is minimum 5 hours if you don't arrive in an ambulance. There, he would have received a needle but no prescription. Asking for a prescription...they would consider 'doctor shopping'...regardless of the fact that he couldn't walk.

MysterX...Thanks! No, he won't try anything cannabis...said it made him anxious when he tried it years ago...I mean, this guy doesn't even drink...he is definitely NOT a man who in any way behaves like an addict. (did someone mention donuts? lol)

At this rate, I see us both living in one room on 2 disability pensions that barely cover rent.
Golden years my ass.
jacy

edit on 29-4-2016 by jacygirl because: donuts...it's always donuts...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Is Kratom legal in Canada? There is a pain relieving strain of it available but of course I'd see if I could use Cannabis but I don't know how that would fly (pun intended) being around power tools..

"IF" Hubby ever does get a Pain Mgt. prescribing Dr. see about Fentanyl™ which provides a greater coverage and then use the Percocet™ for "break through pain".. I know for Me, I have to go from a .25mcg. every 48 hrs. to a .50mcg. for 72 hrs. when Winter/cold weather comes and then switch back in warmer months..

Sadly because there is no test for someone's pain level, the righteous have to pay for the cavalier's actions, the opposite of providing "care" This reads as if this Dr. is lacking in the empathy dep't.

Any trip to the E.R. for pain complaints will be marked down as "Drug Seeking" due to Hubby being prescribed opiates so close to the visit..

"Quality of Life" is a 'key' term to use when dealing with the Drs.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Is Kratom legal in Canada? There is a pain relieving strain of it available but of course I'd see if I could use Cannabis but I don't know how that would fly (pun intended) being around power tools..

I have a feeling that it's not legal in Canada, but don't know for sure.
Cannabis is legal for certain medical conditions but you need a physician's prescription.
No, he wouldn't want to feel fuzzy/buzzy at all when he's down in the hole working with gas mains and water mains...he wouldn't use it.

Last night the doctor wouldn't listen to my husband, he immediately freaked out when he saw the usual prescription receipts that are always handed over when he writes the next refills.
That's when the Prince rant began and he actually took off and left us in the examining room.

jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

New laws in place over opiods. See Dr get 1 month no refill only....next month go to office pu kup paper scrip...next month must see Dr again for appt.

No refills automatically. None can be phoned or faxed...and only 30 day supply. And 2 urine tests a year to map....

Sorry...me too.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I don't think you will get far reporting a doctor for not giving you Percocet. It's an epidemic of abuse everywhere. States are really cracking down on doctors everywhere. I don't mean to imply that your husband doesn't need them just that doctors are getting more like your husbands every day. BTW I love your avatar.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Either he's abusing something himself or he's suffering from some kind of psychological problem.
Clearly, you need to find another doctor.

I don't think there's any story here, you just have a bad doctor not able to do his job properly and you need to find another.

Having said that, clearly there is a massive problem in the US with regard to everyone being on some kind of medication. As an outsider it seems that most Americans pop pills like it's candy. In the UK we take something for a problem, and even then it's only if we absolutely have to. It just seems to me that in the US anyone can go to the doctor and say they're "feeling sad" and BAM! suddenly they're on powerful anti-depressants and diagnosed with some manufactured illness.

Not saying that's the case with your hubby of course, just maybe pointing out that that's probably what the doctor is reacting to.
edit on 29-4-2016 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I only saw my doc every 3 months.

I would send a refill message via patient portal (online), and he would 'electronically' send in the script to my CVS pharmacy.

He did electronic refills for about the last year.

He just quit and closed his practice. He is moving to a different area.

So now I get to try and find a new doc, fun times

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Lol, thank you! I'm a big fan of yours too! (Mom...Mum...Mommy...lol)

I wouldn't be reporting him for that...it was his attitude, Prince rant, rather unstable behaviour and lack of interest in sticking around to let my husband speak.
This was a normal ritual for over a year, nothing different to last time.
Hubby is only taking 2/day and wasn't asking for more...or earlier.

jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

one would think that reporting said doctors conduct to the correct authorities would be the correct course of action - but no - this is ATS

I'm angry and have no one to talk to in real life, so yeah I guess...being a loser here and asking my ATS friends for...confirmation that the doctor really was a dick? (before I look into formally charging him)

I also have never heard of a doctor using a celebrity's death as a reason to cut off a patient without even hearing what he had to say. After a 3 hour wait.

jacy

Sorry, confirmation of such a thing on ATS is an appeal for people to take your account (along with your opinions) at face value - that's not meant as an insult, it's just a fact.

If a particular drug has known risks around long term usage, then it's not unreasonable for that usage to be up for some kind of review - the fact that a celebrity has just passed away with the possibility (not of course yet proven) that long term usage was a contributory factor kind of pushes that point home, doesn't it?

I appreciate what you say about the difficulties in finding another local doctor - but even then, that doctor should be made aware of usage history and may for all you know come to the same conclusion. I'm not from your country, is there no way for your husband to get a referral and review elsewhere?

Sorry if this doesn't come across as 100% unsympathetic, that isn't my intention.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I think you need to report the MD to whatever governing body regulates the industry where you are.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Thanks uncommitted!

I do understand everything that goes on regarding prescription painkillers, but everyone is NOT an addict.

For one thing, if you blast through your prescription (and it's cheap due to insurance coverage)...that forces you to hit the streets to buy more. From what I understand they are expensive.

Celebrities have so much money that it's not a factor for them, and sadly money can be used to get what you want.

Mostly I was shocked at the doctor's 'performance' and also I sadly feel like his 5 minutes of CNN in the morning is probably his only glimpse of reality. (hahahaha....CNN....reality....hahahahaha...)

I have appreciated the comments and now found the site that covers "how to" lodge a complaint against a doctor. I also know a local lawyer who is going to call me tomorrow.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
a reply to: uncommitted

Thanks uncommitted!

I do understand everything that goes on regarding prescription painkillers, but everyone is NOT an addict.

For one thing, if you blast through your prescription (and it's cheap due to insurance coverage)...that forces you to hit the streets to buy more. From what I understand they are expensive.

Celebrities have so much money that it's not a factor for them, and sadly money can be used to get what you want.

Mostly I was shocked at the doctor's 'performance' and also I sadly feel like his 5 minutes of CNN in the morning is probably his only glimpse of reality. (hahahaha....CNN....reality....hahahahaha...)

I have appreciated the comments and now found the site that covers "how to" lodge a complaint against a doctor. I also know a local lawyer who is going to call me tomorrow.
jacy

No problem, but note that the drugs you say your husband uses are not aspirin, I haven't suggested anything like addiction, but long term usage of some medication may well have known side effects including some with extremely damaging consequences. There is a flip side that simply continuing to issue a repeat prescription could see any doctor as irresponsible and negligent in a court of law. I hope your lawyer can assist with whatever the next appropriate steps are, but you might not want to mention to them your opinion of what the doctors glimpses of reality are.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I thought that Canadians had socialized medicine and could go to any doc in their area. What is the process in Canada?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

I'm in Ontario and we've had a doctor shortage for years. I personally had to find a family physician in another city, an hour away. None of the doctors here are taking new patients.
I have also been told by a hospital employee that NO doctor will take a pain patient on now, they only want 'healthy' patients. Huh??

Some doctors here are having their patients sign a legal document stating that they will NOT accept pain medication from anyone but their own family physician.

If you show up to the Emergency dept. with back pain you are immediately treated as 'suspicious' regardless of your health history, x-rays and CT scans. The staff are hugely judgemental, and I once had a hospital dr. treat me like an addict even though I had a mouth infection and was hoping for antibiotics. I NEVER asked for pain medication.
HE PRESCRIBED ME 30 PERCOCET!! No antibiotics.
When I questioned the nurse she told me that I can't tell the doctor what medication I want/need.

I phoned my own doctor, saw her 2 days later (rush appt. lol) and I did indeed have an infection. I handed her the written prescription from the hospital...which she tore up.

jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
you usually need an office appointment for narcotics. Or at least it's best practice. Also sounds like your husband is drug seeking

She just explained he was responsible with his meds and put her in charge. That is not drug seeking behavior. Dr. shopping and buying off the street is drug seeking behavior. The fact that he never progressed to h is proof he isn't an addict and just needs relief.

Who are you to say that?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Oh yeah...me too. Laws changed Oct-ish last year. I saw Dr. last month picked up paper script yesterday...must see Dr may 26 for the next one.

I only take 2 Norco a day.....1 month a few back....I went 2 8 pharmacies 1 hospital...no one had any because huge refills orders on the 30th each month...and companies will only send some many to each pharmacy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join