It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do the following Bible verses mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
IN the Gospel of John chapter 10, verse 34 Jesus makes the following statement:

King James Bible
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

He was quoting from Psalm 83 verse 6 (6 is the number of man, created on the 6th day):

King James Bible
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Now what do these mysterious verses mean? Any ideas ATS members?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: GrandCourtJester
Wow, three different threads running simultaneously on the same verse!
There must be a desperate shortage of new ideas.
You may be able to pick up some explanations from one of the other two.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

popular topic lately lol

ALL of YOU are Children of the Most High...

Pretty much solves the issue...

link   

I think it mean that the search feature of ATS should be selected prior to starting a thread.

link   

edit on 26/4/2016 by chr0naut because: duplicate

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Read all of Psalm 82.

Notice the difference between God and gods. Notice how the one will judge and does judge the other for being unjust. It also refers to how God shall arise and judge all the earth and inherit the nations.

Then go and read what Christ is saying to the angry mob in John, and read all of it, the full context.

He is not saying we are gods, and if you want to think he is, then he is saying we as gods are no better than we are as men.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
sorry for the double double post

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You may have misunderstood me. I was observing that two other people had started threads on the same topic.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Well the real us is spirit, not this husk. And we all have been given the power to become sons of god… in other words, one day, gods too. Children grow up, don't they?

The fallacy is there is one all supreme being. We tend to blow things out of proportion.

Read Romans 8:14.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have a "study bible" which tells you what all the verses mean. According to my book that GOJ verse means:

"refer(s) to the judges or (other leaders or rulers) whose tasks were divinely appointed"

For the verse from Psalms 82:6:

"those who rule (or judge) do so by God's appointment...and thus they are his representatives- whether they acknowledge him or not."

A further note explains:

"In the language of the OT- and in accordance with the conceptual world of the ancient Near East- .rulers and judges, as deputies of the heavenly king could be given the honorific title 'god' or be called 'son of god'."

HTH-
Sal

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

It means that believers in the prophecied Messiah are born again as a new spiritual creation which shares in the nature of God.

So believers are little gods because they are in God and God is in them.

However, as a believer/little god, you must continue to integrate your thinking with God by learning and living on His word. Failure to do so will kill your intellectual relationship with God (but you will die like men), and therefore you will abort your inherited royal status in Christ (like a fallen prince). However, eternal salvation cannot be lost.

For a believer, the difference between being called god, and dying like men, is the difference between being part of God's kingdom or spending eternity in the darkness out side the kingdom.

For nonbelievers, the difference is salvation versus the lake of fire.

Jesus quoted Psalm 82 to show how Israel had failed to believe, and therefore would die and fall.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

whose law?

Who is under the law he is quoting?

Who does this apply too?

Do you all know the Jesus said in your law. He did not say in your Psalms.

Look to the Law to find Jesus Answer as to whom this applies. It does not mean everyone or Gentiles.
edit on 27-4-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join