It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs the Army Corp. of Engineers when you have SU-34's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
On April 18th two Russian SU-34 Fullbacks took off on a kill mission to destroy an ice damn that had built up on the Sukhona river in South West Russia. The ice damn was threatening to flood an area where 4500 people live. An interesting solution to what must be a common problem in certain areas of Russia but it seams like it would be a more expensive solution than other more traditional methods of ice clearing.
They drop what looks like parachute assisted bombs on the ice and are reported as being pinpoint precision. I'm not so sure about that. Heh.

Two Russian Sukhoi Su-34s took off from an aerodrome in Voronezh Region on an unusual mission on Monday, to bomb the ice on the Sukhona River. The jets were sent to break up ice that had been forming a natural dam on the river in the Vologda Region that threatened serious flooding. It is expected that the bomber jets will drop pinpoint explosives to assist the Ministry of Emergency Situations (EMERCOM) in getting the huge ice floes moving.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

They drop what looks like parachute assisted bombs on the ice and are reported as being pinpoint pr

Runway busters.

edit on 4/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
But who would try to land on an ice dam...?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

It might be more expensive, I have no idea of the math there but...it is cool thinking isn't it?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Its definitely got that "We do things the Russian way, now hold my vodka and watch this...." vibe.

I think a pack of explosives dropped out of a helicopter and remotely detonated would have had the same effect and cost a fraction of what it took to send the SU's with live munitions there but it's not my money and it did make for an interesting story, so more power to them. Lol.
edit on 20-4-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
They got bombs left over from killing Isis. Some threat they were.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I think there is a comedy sketch in this:

Meeting at town hall-So then, about this ice dam, gonna cause a heap 'o problems...any ideas?

Someone at the back of the room-SU-34's dropping bombs on parachutes!!!
Erm...

Someone else at the back-
actually, we can do that...

It WOULD be pretty awesome, right?

edit on 20-4-2016 by Jonjonj because: dam bridge

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Really though, what could the Army Corp of Engineers do?

They can't stop a flood (Katrina), let alone start one.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Sounds like a two in one. Remove a potential natural disaster by target practice

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SammamishmanThey drop what looks like parachute assisted bombs on the ice and are reported as being pinpoint precision. I'm not so sure about that. Heh.

I recently read somewhere that one of the most interesting things that was gleaned about the Russian Air Force from their recent Syria campaign (or one of the things they were subtly showing off) was that in addition to their cruise missile and PGM capabilities, they have also spent much more time improving their good, old-fashioned CCIP systems, allowing their aircraft-dropped dumb bombs to hit CEP's of 10-30m, which while not fantastic, is far better than earlier systems could (and far cheaper than using PGMs as well).

I'm not sure about the veracity of the speculation, but it certainly sounded like exactly the kind of "perfection is the enemy of the good enough" solution that the Ruskies are so renowned for.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Nice post!

Looks like a duck!

edit on 4 22 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
treated as a training mission no doubt, and why not? training while doing good, good for them.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Always thought it should have been the SU-34 Mallard.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Lol,

You did a great job on your thread.
Sorry about the duck. The SU-34 looked like a duck to me!

new topics

top topics

join