It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[PIC2016] MacGruars Lair

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
MacGruars' Lair

Deep in the heart of the forests of Caledon, there lies the derelict ruin of an ancient Keep... hidden... unseen by prying eyes for many years.
It's blackened stones, slinking downwards in an ever-so-slow-motion ballet, as their binding mortar gradually crumbles and bows to the power of mother nature... and time.

Once, it was home to the "Black MacGruar", a cruel and hateful man who lorded over these lands many decades ago.
His sense of "justice" was whatever suited his own best interests, and his wrath on those who opposed him was swift and final.
It is said that to this day his evil presence hangs like a heavy veil over this land, which always seems somehow cloaked in darkness, under grey skies and drowning - gasping for breath in the dank air.

The Keep once stood proud, deep in the ancient woodlands amongst the tallest of trees, which seemed to reach up to the heavens with twig-like fingers scratching at the grey clouds above.
Those vast woodlands are not what they once were, but you can still get a feeling of what it was once like, if you venture into what is left of the dark forest there, and stop... to look up...

It was on such a trip that I first felt the cold touch of the Black MacGruar on my shoulder as fear itself took hold of my pounding heart... and squeezed.
Foolishly, I had strayed off the path which runs from the Inn at Inveroran following the river up to Glen Etive, to shelter in the trees from the pounding rains.
And it was there that I found myself wandering, deeper and deeper into the woods, drawn by... what?

...A whisper of a dream?
...A nightmare?
...A strange sense of longing, grief and need?

There was more... not just a feeling... something real.
A strange wistful song in my head that I just couldn't seem to shake off...
Sung by.... children maybe?
Strange ethereal whispering child-like voices that hung on the wind, their words repeating and repeating, drilling their way into my very soul...

"An angels wings may point the way,
to climb to heaven, but not this day.
For you may seek a sacred lair,
and meet your fate upon the stair.

The Spiders Web may seem to be...
so cruel to the fly, but not to thee.
Unless you catch it within the glass,
and then your fate shall come to pass.."

LINK to ancient recording of MacGruars Song

After what seemed like an eternity, I came upon a clearing in the trees, and there before me, I first saw the ruins of MacGruars Lair.
Nothing more than a large pile of black stones really. But... as I approached... something very very strange began to happen!
With every step that I took, closer to the singing voices, closer to the ruin... it changed.

It grew. It healed?

When I neared to within 30 paces, I could clearly see the shape of the base of the Keep. It was a large, imposing square, maybe 80 feet across...
Within 20 paces, and the whole of the ground floor seemed to rise from the encroaching mists.. solid... overbearing...
and when I was but 10 paces away from its arched doorway, I looked up in awe to see a full 4-storey high tower of granite appear before me.

The song drew me closer still, as I passed through the archway, and gazed up at a huge marble statue of an angel, guarding massive twin staircases which led to the upper floors...

"An angels wings may point the way,
to climb to heaven, but not this day.
For you may seek a sacred lair,
and meet your fate upon the stair....."

My heart pounded, sweat forming on my brow as I carried on... my legs weakened by the fear, the dread of what was to come...
But something within me... something primal and powerful drew me onwards. Onwards and upwards. Up the stairs, past the poor Angel who I could now see was crying and locked in chains!!
What could this mean? How can this be... so real? So many unanswered questions, so much pain, dread and fear.

Onwards, slowly onwards... every step more cautious than the last... the huge wooden steps creaking under my boots... when at last, I reached a landing of sorts.
There was beautifully crafted wood panelling all around and a dimly-lit corridor running right to left...
and there before my very eyes at the far end of the landing... glinting in the faintest of light which found it's way through the slit-like openings at the ends of the hallway, was a sight which chilled me to the marrow.
It was a huge, heavy, circular wooden black-framed mirror covered in dust...

I edged closer... closer still... the huge mirror dominating the dark space ahead... and as I approached, the strange singing voices returned to me, louder than before...

"...The Spiders Web may seem to be...
so cruel to the fly, but not to thee.
Unless you catch it within the glass,
and then your fate shall come to pass.."

...and my heart suddenly STOPPED!

For there in the reflection of the glass was a spiders web, as predicted by the voices... the voices... swirling now... enveloping me... smothering me...

Suddenly, behind me... there was a loud CREEEEAAAK! as a hidden door appeared in the panelling.
I held my breath, desperately trying to regain my composure, and turned to watch as it creaked slowly open... wider and wider... the space beyond it's opening black as night.

I gasped one last gulp of air, and felt the chilling cold of the dark chamber reaching out for me as I gradually stepped forward... into the hidden chamber.

The singing was louder than ever now, pulling at my soul, tearing at my very being, penetrating the very essence of my being, when finally, at last I saw it...

The chamber was full of hundreds of horrible, creepy old dolls heads... they seemed to be everywhere... piled in the corner... all over the floor... rising up the walls....
and then I froze in abject terror as the realisation suddenly dawned...

THEY WERE MOVING!

Their lips were moving... In time with the words of the song... a choir of disembodied child-like entities, calling me to my demise... my doom...

And then Darkness.

Silence.

An endless void for a hundred years or more, until I heard.... YOU!
Your footsteps on my stairs, your breath on my glass, your heart pounding at my door... as you looked in... to see me... lying in formation with my clan...

Welcome to MacGruars Lair!

Welcome to your fate my love, Welcome to your Doom!

Welcome....

we..l.....c ....o.. .m.. .e ...

THE END

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

A great story!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Awesome. It came together perfect. I will write a story also...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Ooooh, well written and creepy! Love it!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Oh, Sir Gordi...that was excellent! Also creepy.

The game...is afoot.

jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I have a strange urge to go walk through the woods in search of this place

Awesome story, two thumbs up from this guy!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DuckforcoveR

Lol, I can point you in the right direction. North 34 clicks West 7 clicks. East 3.1496 clicks and you'll see the baby pit.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
@DBcowboy, @Quantum12, @NightStar, @jacygirl, @DuckforcoveR...

Wow. Thank you so much for popping in and taking the time and trouble to read and comment!!!

I think my tale is probably a wee bit too dark, and already there are so many brilliant entries..... but hey, it has the makings of an amazing contest!

So much talent here it's scary!!

Thanks again!
BigG

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I don't think it's too dark at all. I used to tell people (and still do) that there hasn't been a "horror" movie made that actually frightened me. Nothing has haunted my dreams, kept my sleep, or invaded my consciousness. I desperately want something to truly scare me (other than the normal "daughter is sick and dying" kind of fear).

With that said, I got people bumps reading your story
I like that we can create our own visuals and determine the "scariness" for ourselves.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DuckforcoveR

I don't think it's too dark at all. I used to tell people (and still do) that there hasn't been a "horror" movie made that actually frightened me. Nothing has haunted my dreams, kept my sleep, or invaded my consciousness. I desperately want something to truly scare me....

I'll send you a photo of my dear-departed Mother in Law!

Thanks Duck! much appreciated my friend.
G

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Awesome story and absolutely fantastic contest idea.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey! karmic,
Nice to see you again!

How are you doing???

And thanks very much for the nice comments!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Well done!

It's always nice to be welcomed to your doom.

Good job!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I loved it!!! Wonderful, creepy imagery. The song was an awesome touch. Very much the old fashioned dark fairy story.

Ahem. Um.... Now how do I get out of the lair? *glances nervously at the dolls*

Gordi???

GORRRRDIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- AB

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
@Errollore - Cheers Tom! Thanks for stopping by.

@Ab's - hehe - Hiya *waves*
Yeah, I liked the idea of adding a little "Audio imagery" just to spice it up a wee bit, give it a soundtrack so to speak, Thanks for noticing!

PS - it's the 2nd door on your left...
...or is it?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Songs like spells, spiders,and talking doll heads!

I was hooked!

Nice job!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Why, thank you kindly Ms Bird *bowing*.

I was going to include a creepy laugh at the end of the song.... but creeped myself out a wee bit!!!! LOL

G

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Really wish I hadn't pressed play on your tape, there.

That was like a classic fairy story, creepy and dark with no way out. A wonderful celtic tale from long ago..

S&F&

B xx

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Aww Beans - Thank you so much.
I'm sorry for the creepy song... I felt that it added to the impact of the story, but I'm worried now that I overdid it!
ugh, this is so hard! - I've posted a 2nd story now.... I hope that I can.... redeem myself??
Thank you for giving me a chance!
Gx

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Gordi - If you aren't already a published author, you certainly should be.

<<   2 >>

join