It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Up Country

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So I want to write about this place in the woods. I want it to develop as we go, and eventually become a sanctuary for lost souls . . those that have been used up by the "system". It'll be an escape . . from this mindlessly corrupt society that has us continuously feeling bad about ourselves and the decisions we make. I'd like it to be collaborative, with input from anyone interested in going along. But I have tried before and collaboration is not as exciting to some as I thought it would be. So therefore, I am putting this under "Short Stories", prepared to write it myself if I have to, but hoping someone out there joins in with some great ideas of their own.

So, from the lyrics of a "Canned Heat" song : "I'm going up the country, babe don't you wanna go ?"

Location : Upper United States, State of Idaho, Boundary County, near Lake Pend Oreille.

Found this piece of land approximately one mile in from the Pack River. Twenty-seven acres with just about everything imaginable . . some flat land for farming, plenty of trees and boulders the size of houses for shelter and windbreaks, and a torrential, fast moving stream that comes off the mountaintop and feeds down into the Pack. And, located halfway up the mountain, right on this stream, a Mill.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Now, as mills go, this one appeared to be in quite good condition, considering. It was the only structure on the property and consisted of two sheds, one on each side of the stream and a huge vertical waterwheel with extended paddles. Both sheds had stonewall first floors and wood-finished second floors. A walkway connected the upper stories, spanning the stream six feet above the waterwheel. Ivy covered the entire lower side, making the mill almost invisible if you didn't know it was there. More about the mill later.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Flew into the Lake Pend Oreille area on one of those seaplanes, the ones with the pontoons, and landed on the water perfectly. Beautiful country up here, just google it and see. Nearest big city : Bonners Ferry. Close to Queen Mountain in one direction and the Kootenay River in the other. Beautiful country.

Made my way over to the Pack River and found this place in the woods.

Heard that on the backside of the land, just over the top of the ridge, there used to be a mine that showed promise. But a landslide buried the entrance years ago and it's been pretty much forgotten.

Looking forward to setting up a camp and seeing what has to be done to get this spread working.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Worked on the dimensions of the garden and decided to divide it into two sections. If you're coming in from the river, here's how it looks : The western side, from the boulders down to the pond, will be the apple orchard and fruit bush area. The adjacent ground just east will be smaller but capable enough to support all types of vegetables. I have dug water channels on the upper hill that will carry irrigating run-off water down into both gardens when it rains and of course the pond is there as back-up when it doesn't. The pond is an added charm that I probably forgot to tell you about, but it's about fifty yards across and I guess maybe 6 to 10 feet deep. Hoping I can stock it with fish and frogs. I'll have to try to bring some up from the Pack.

Been living in a tent while planting all the seeds and starters, but now it's time to think about a house and its location. Leaning towards nestling it between the largest boulder on the ridge and the Mill. Natural protection and high enough to see all of our land down to the bank of the Pack.

Planning on one room, with a large stone fireplace. Will build an outhouse not more than ten feet from the back door.
Better get started.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SIEGE

I really felt like I was in your story. Great story!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Good. Add something if you'd like to.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Settled on an A-Frame type structure with a loft for storage ( at this time ). Had to anticipate the coming winter snow and its weight after heavy accumulation. The fireplace warms the inside very well, and I have moved in completely now as the mornings were starting to get quite cold in the tent. Noticed that brisk winds normally blow through in the early morning hours and recede in the afternoons, which is great if you're trying to get some work done like I am.

The corn is doing well, as is the squash.

Went down into town to get supplies last week and came back with a dog. Seems he'd been hanging around Huckleberry's Variety store, living off of scraps. Nobody knew anything about the dog or its appearance, so I just asked the dog if he wanted to come home with me and he got up and followed me. Simply as that. Named him Blue.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I've become quite fond of Blue in these last few weeks. Smart dog. Looks to be half wolf and half hound, with black and brown markings on his back. But when the sun catches his black head, traces of blue rays shimmer off of him. Thus . . . his name.
We did a little hunting up back of the boulders and got lucky. Got a seven-point buck and a couple of Quail. After cleaning and dressing, the deer should provide us with about 150 pounds of meat and jerky. The Quail . . . well that went real fast, as we "Kentucky-Fried" it.

Haven't seen any snow yet but I'm sure it's coming. Cleared more land around the cabin and have been cutting firewood for stock. Got us two wood bins, one inside beside the fireplace and the other outside on the front porch. Needless to say, you can never have enough firewood.

Big rain storm approaching.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Blue was the most beautiful dog. I ended up going back to Huckleberry's Variety store looking for dog items I needed for Blue.I finally saw the dog spot. After I made my purchase I walked Blue over to the waterfall. As I carried Blue into the warm crystal Blue water she licked my face.

As I love the wilderness my love for Blue became my new love of life. After her bath in warm water I noticed her in a new light. Her coat was so shinny and her black nose was cold and wet. Blue was the most beautiful PittBull I have ever met and my new found friend.
edit on 4 12 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It has rained very hard the last couple of days. The stream is a torrent. The cabin is warm and water-tight and I have had a chance to catch up on my reading.

Took Blue for a check of the property line and we walked the whole twenty-seven acres. Can't believe how beautiful it is up here. I know now that I never want to go back to the rat race again.

On our way back, in a light rain, we stumbled onto some footprints. FOOTPRINTS !

Someone else is up here with us ! Why are they on our land ?

What's going on ?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Hello friend I am lost and I have not eaten in days. I am sorry to have crossed into your property line. "Oh you scared me but you seem like a nice person of trust, this is my dog Blue. I can help you out for the evening. I will provide you with a bed food and a warm place to clean off"

As the two walked back to the shelter area loud noises were heard in the distant...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As they walked back to the cabin, thunderclaps echoed over the hills. They exchanged information as the rain increased in intensity.
"My name is Ben. Moved up here some months back. What's your name ?"

"My name is Josh. Short for Joshua. Josh Bennett. Went for a hike a couple of days ago and got lost. Happy to see someone."

"Are you by yourself ?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Wanted to be alone to do some thinking. Should've packed a lunch."

"Well come on, let's get in out of this weather and find you something to eat."

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Josh said to Ben "you are one kind person with a good heart, I want to thank you for helping me."

Ben replied "I am repaying a old debt. 4 years back I was hiking near Mt. Rainer in Washington state. The sun was setting and I lost my bearing. I wondered around in the snow. By nightfall i had fallen off the path and I lost my compass."

"Trying to make my way back to my tent I fell thru a small glacier of ice and was stuck. Out of nowhere another hiker like myself spotted me. He kindly helped me up and brought me to his tent." "The nice man gave me a blanket and cooked me dinner, I am paying a kind person in my life back by helping you."

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

We were writing at the same time lol!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Ben watched Josh eat a second helping of eggs and toast and realized this guy really was hungry. Hot tea with honey helped wash down the food and then Ben started asking more questions.

"You know, looking at you, I'd say you were about 6-foot tall and 170 pounds. A little different from the footprints Blue and I were originally following. The feet were smaller and the step shorter. Are you with someone else ?"

Josh was a bit surprised. This guy seemed to be okay, but he wasn't believing everything Josh had told him. He'd tell him the truth and get it over with.

"Okay, I'll tell you what really happened to me. My girlfriend and I had an argument while hiking. She took off back to the campsite and I continued to hike for a couple of hours. When I went back to find her she was gone. So was our whole campsite. Evidently she had packed up and headed out on her own. I followed her for a day or so before losing her trail. Ended up over here on your land, soaked to the bone. And then you found me."

"So where is your girlfriend ?"

"I wish I knew. I was hoping she was here ahead of me, but I guess not."

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Back out in the rain, with Blue walking point, Ben and Josh made their way along an upper trail that was the last place Josh had seen any sign of Sarah's whereabouts. Ben knew they had left his property about ten minutes back, and was just about to tell Josh that they should pack it in when they both heard a hoarse cry for help. Breaking into a quick jog, they both rounded the corner to find Sarah sitting on a rock, crying. Josh rushed over to give her a hug while Ben asked Blue to stop barking.

Sarah appeared to have a sprained ankle. Wet to the bone, she had been unable to carry the heavy backpack any further.
She had a raspy voice from hollering but overall she was in pretty good shape. Josh was elated.

After catching up on things, the three of them headed back to Ben's cabin. Ben carried the backpack and led the way as Josh helped Sarah limp along. An hour later they were home.

Lightning and thunder rocked the cabin as Ben stoked the fire. Hot honeyed tea for all.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Ben started a fire. With their tea they all enjoyed telling stories of their live. The three were becoming close friends.

Sarah was telling Ben about the time she was stuck on a ski lift. "I was skiing in Aspen Co. A place called Snowmass, I awoke to 1 foot of fresh power. I rushed to get dressed, packed all my gear along with a flask of peppermint Schnapps. I made my way to the ski lift. I got on and next to me was another person. About halfway up the lift stopped. The person next to me was scared. It was his first time skiing."

"I asked him his name" "Josh is my name." The two drank the schnapps. And have never been apart since.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Engineering students ! They were both engineering students from WSU. Josh a structural engineering student and Sarah an electrical engineering student. Ben was a bit taken aback. Not your typical hikers out for a weekend breather. He had to find out what was going on here.
"Well, we decided to get away from the rat race and see some country we haven't seen before", replied Josh. "They only offer our classes once a year, so basically we're off until spring when we begin our third year."
Sarah nodded her head, "Yeah it's nice, but sometimes you get so worried about academics you forget to live life."

Ben listened to the two of them talk about "getting away" and an idea took hold.

"Say, I'd like to make you two an offer if you're interested." "Why not spend the next few months here with me and see if you like it enough to maybe make it permanent later on down the road ?" "I'm looking to set up a small community here, away from it all, that'll be self-sufficient and comfortable. What better way to triple the population than to ask you to consider joining ? What do you say ?"

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
A handshake was all it took. And then they got together and named the property "Tarecar Terminal". Now think about that first word, Tarecar. A bit fitting don't you think ? (and terminal as in : the end ).

Weeks passed and they began harvesting vegetables for canning. Meat, when they were lucky enough to catch something, was dried and smoked for storage, or it was eaten as quickly as possible. Ben showed them the process of canning and soon their temporary pantry contained jams and jellies as well as potatoes, pickles, corn, beans, tomatoes, squash, and peas.

Fall turned into winter. The snows came.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Trips into town became fewer, but with three of them now it was easier to bring back more supplies at one time. With Josh's help, Ben had moved into the second story of the western-most side of the mill. They built a very good stone fireplace, similar to the one down in the A-Frame, and Ben found himself quite content with his new abode. Of course Blue was with him too, and that made things even better.
Sarah offered up an idea on the waterwheel, stating she might be able to generate electricity for the compound if they gave her some help with the set-up and wiring. It couldn't hurt to try.

One day as Ben was cleaning the bottom floor of his part of the mill, he discovered something quite strange. A door. Blocked up with rocks and stone the door was almost invisible unless you got right up close.

He wondered . . why a door here ? And where did it go ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join