It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion At Ford City Mall In Chicago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It seems a natural gas line has exploded at the Ford City Mall in Chicago destroying numerous cars and leaving a 100 foot crater in a parking lot. So far there has been no mention of any injuries, deaths, or any possible connection to terrorism. After the explosion the area was cleared as more natural gas began to build up, so it could be a while before its safe enough for investigators to start piecing together what exactly happened.

www.nbc5.com
"A piece of the gas main flew thorugh the air and came down through one of the buildings here," the spokesman said. "I don't have details on the injuries, I just know that we have 10 people being treated now."

One woman who was inside the mall spoke with NBC5 over the phone after the explosion.

"I was inside the mall and we were shopping there, and we heard the big explosion, which happened at about 8:30 (p.m.). Everybody ran outside the mall, the alarm went off," the woman said. "There's about 100 square feet that's blowed up."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For once this looks to be a completely random and non-terrorist related incident, though the investigation has yet to begin. Though relatively new it would be nice if there were no fatalities and only minor if any injuries. This reminds me of past natural gas explosions which have lit up the night across various areas and in one instance blowing apart a mobile home and covering about a half mile with the debris of the home.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Just recently we have had three seperate underground explosions here in Indianapolis. So far they say it is NOT natural gas. The cause is unknown at this time.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The mobile home explosion that I mentoned happend like two years ago now I think near me, they said like 20 miles away people felt the shockwave when it went up, so I can only imagine what the people in the mall thought when the line blew. Probably scary beyond imagination...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Natural gas explosions are "soft" explosions. They don't have the same shattering impact that a bomb would have and as such make for poor terrorist weapons.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Here is info on the explosions...

"Indianapolis Power & Light Co. crews on Sunday began inspecting underground electrical lines, hoping to prevent more Downtown explosions.

Market Street between Capitol Avenue and Illinois Street will remain closed to vehicles and pedestrians indefinitely while IPL and city investigators probe the cause of Saturday's blasts, said Steve Campbell, a spokesman for Mayor Bart Peterson."

www.indystar.com...

and

"Underground explosions Saturday rocked Downtown Indianapolis, injuring three people, damaging businesses and causing evacuations.

The injuries were not life threatening.

One business was extensively damaged, and other businesses had minor damage from the late-morning explosions.

It was the third time in nine days Downtown has been rocked by underground explosions."

www.indystar.com...

I have lived here since 1995 and don't recall EVERY hearing of an explosion caused by something other than natural gas. Reports of this being caused by things like electrical lines is very suspicious.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Unless you take into account the flooding for weeks that you have been experiencing.

Those tranformers are underground, and you have had record snowmelt, and record flooding rain.

Right.

still, I have never heard of it either......

[edit on 12-1-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
NBC has Updated -> www.nbc5.com

Apparantly now they are saying there are 10 people injured, but more details shall be fothcoming. Lets all hope it stays to only injuries and slight ones at that.

I find it interesting that these explosions have been going on since the weekend. especially since they were looking for any other leaks to stop more potential explosions. I can understand a single random one, but multiple ones especially seems puzzling in light of the fact that lines were being inspected. Could this be contributed to human error or negligence, or is this simply a very random happening?

edit - fixed broken link

[edit on 12-1-2005 by alternateheaven]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Unless you take into account the flooding for weeks that you have been experiencing.

Those tranformers are underground, and you have had record snowmelt, and record flooding rain.

Right.

still, I have never heard of it either......

We had about 9 inches of rain in a day or two a couple of years ago. Nothing happened then. We've had flooding before. Not a single explosion. But 3 in 9 days and we are just supposed to accept that story? We haven't had 9 inches of rain in 2 weeks. If they aren't exploding with 9 inches in a day I doubt 9 inches in 2 weeks would do it.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Agreed. But that is kind of a generalization isnt it? I mean your whole region has major flooding melting snow, and rain for weeks, and the White river has been flooding and runs right by downtown. In fact you are still under a flood warning at this moment. To highlight this, just south of you at Waverly and Martinsville for instance has had to do lots of sandbagging, and lost lots of property near the river.

Right?

Still....I do note that the lines should be water proof, and I saw the news, and the manhole covers were sent flying at some of the explosions.......That does not seem like a transformer blowing does it....

*But back to the current explosion*.......

new topics

top topics

join