It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low Carb Chocolate Treats and Desserts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Some of the best low-carb replacements do require some form of sweetener ('alternative' for those willing to eat them). But, there are some neat options.

For example, I despise cauliflower. I was given a few LC recipes using this in place of potatoes and I still hated it.

But when it's shredded (cut and use food processor, easier), squeezed, then stir-fried with Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) and other things, it is utterly awesome -- add chicken you have stir fried chicken fried rice. I'm not making this up, I served it to two people I had over for dinner and they were 3/4 through before I mentioned it wasn't rice and they were astonished. I think if they'd had rice to compare it to on the same plate they would have known, but on its own, done right, you just can't tell. They ate all of theirs, and all the leftovers too, it's awesome. I could almost live on the stuff. The recipe I used is here: www.lowcarb.ca... That page also has other great recipes, some complex for specialty meals, here: www.lowcarb.ca... be sure you try the homemade blue cheese dressing. Since I hate the 'sweet' version stores have now, once I saw how easy and yummy it was to make that at home, I don't do anything else.

Another example, for a sweet: zucchini cobbler. Many veggies will take the flavor of whatever you cook them with (like the cauli will). In this case, you peel and chop zukes, and then lightly simmer them in some lemon water. This sort of bleaches out residual taste, you can use this for helping reduce taste in things. Drain, and then add all the typical apple pie spices and your sweetener and if you want some form of meal (tiny bit of coconut [easy on that one, it absorbs all moisture molecules in its realm of the universe] or super-fine almond flour) just for a tad bit of bulk, and cook on low for a bit. Dump it into a bowl, add a few nuts on top or whatever you like. It tastes just like apple pie filling. Make a tiny mock, maybe baked in a muffin tin or as a pancake, to put it on.

Apples and potatoes and rice and things like that don't have much taste, so you can usually find other foods that have many fewer carbs to substitute for them and make genuinely good tasting stuff.

RC

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RedCairo

yeah, that fried rice looks divine...I'll have to try it....and I like this recipe for no-bake cheesecake....the only yhing I'd have to hunt for is the gelatin: www.lowcarb.ca...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Low calorie desserts are the best amongst all. As it healthy to eat them. The desserts that we usually bake at home are of high calorie as it contains the pure melted sugar, caramel and the ingredients that increase our body fat. But to stay healthy and fit we need to make sure that we eat desserts with low calorie. To avoid high fat dessert I do not bake desserts at home. Once my friend recommended me this site www.loveandquiches.com... , who serve us with desserts having low fats and amazing taste.
edit on 27-5-2016 by nadacantrell because: spelling mistake

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Gluten free is better. Adding fiber does help.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
My rule of thumb:

Don't eat anything white unless it's cauliflower, onion or egg white.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: tschultz

Gluten free is better. Adding fiber does help.

why is gluten free better, out of curiosity?

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I need to look through those recipes- thanks for the thread!

A few weeks ago, I melted some chocolate (99% cocoa) mixed it with some high fat cream, some vanilla (scraped from the bean) some coconut flakes, coconut oil.... and at the last minute, added some fiber (Baltone).

I poured that in small silicone molds and put it in the freezer.

Once in a while, if I can afford the calories (about 100 each) I eat one. But I have learned to choose the moment carefully because they double as laxatives, apparently....

Tonight I'm making a sort of keto version of chile rellenos- I grill and peel my chiles, then cut them and layer them in a cassorole dish. I mix eggs and creme fraiche (closest equivalent, sour cream). I pour that on, and that put a good layer of grated cheese. I also cut up some spicy chorizo and threw that on top.

Whole family LOVED it last time, and it is virtually carb free (depends on your chiles). Lots of calories, but if you don't eat much during the day, it is worth the wait.

Right now my favorite dessert is a couple spoonfuls of cream, with about 80 grams of raspberries. There's only about 4 grams of carbs in that amount of raspberries! I actually ate that for breakfast yesterday.

With the talk of whether or not this sort of diet is good for you....
I would recommend that women in peri, or post menopause look into it.
I struggled with hot flashes and some mental fogginess until I began this diet. Those problems disappeared COMPLETELY.
I don't remember when I last had a hot flash.

edit on 8-8-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Hey. Chocolate has carbs of its own but it's low glycerin in that it doesn't spike blood sugar levels.
I don't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners but I offer rich chocolate pudding with whipped cream.

1dark chocolate baking bar. (No sugar) 4 oz. If large bar use four squares.
4 egg yolks
1cup heavy cream
1/4c water
1tbs corn starch
1tsp good vanilla
1/4tsp salt
6 packets sweeteners. I like to mix them.

in a double boiler.(a waterproof bowl over a pot of water. )
Heat cream till small bubbles just start to appear around the edge.
Beat yolks together in small bowl and add just a bit of the warmed cream. Add the yolks to the bowl with the cream..
Mix corn starch and salt with water. Add to cream.
Lower heat and whisk while heating until the mixture thickens and stays when you run a finger through it on a spoon.
Set aside.
Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.30seconds at a time. Stir until shiny. Cool slightly and stir into the cream.Add vanilla. Stir.
Divide in half and cool completely.

1/2c whipping cream , dash of vanilla and two packets of sweetener.whip together in cold metal bowl until still. ( Not too much or it turns to butter).
Top chilled pudding.

Small amt of carbs from corn starch and chocolate. Zero from cream eggs sweetener or water.
I hope you'll try it.

Also Atkins makes treats that are very good. Even a peanut m&m type.
The chocolate coconut bar is heavenly.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

It's in the baking aisle near the regular jello. Look up top shelf probably.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Reducing carbs will naturally reduce gluten as it occurs in wheat a no no food on a low carb diet.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

That does sound very good.....when the weather cools, I will try it, thanks.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
That's the thing though.
There's really no need to reduce gluten unless you are gluten intolerant or worse.

I am gluten intolerant.
I found that the big problem with gluten-free products: they usually have more carbs than their gluten equivalents.

So, basically, I have to count carbs....and avoid grains.

IIRC, wheat and grains are allowed on the Atkins maintenance phase.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

For mac and cheese cravings. Beat four eggs smooth. Add 1 tsp corn starch or arrow root. Heat butter in a small frying pay and cook the eggs in batches . Add egg to pan time 45 seconds or until set and remove. Your looking for small crepe type sheets.
After cooking all the egg make a cheese sauce by melting cheese with a bit of cream. Not a lot you want it thick.
About 1/2C shredded cheese. Few Tbls cream. Add more if it's too thick. Pour over crepe sheets that have been cut into small pc's.
Top with parmesan and brown under broiler if you like a crust on top.
About two servings.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I found that strictly limiting carbs was the fastest way to get into a ketogenic state. If weight loss is your goal the fewer carbs the faster that changeover will occur.
Gluten free only means it has no wheat in it. Other grains are also carbs.

In the maintenance phase of the diet you can add high fiber grains.
Atkins tends to be a higher fat diet which is ok because fat is an appetite suppressant and without high carbs is not stored by the body. You need glucose in the blood to store fat.
As you add back carbs they generally recommend cutting back on the fat .
If you're looking to lose weight then you want the suppression gained by fat so limiting carbs is essential.
More carbs less fat.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I lost 100 lbs on the Atkins diet. In 2001. It's been an easy life style for me because diabetes runs in our family.

I have so many recipes from appetizers to dessert.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

That is really impressive!!!!
Congrats!???

I lost about 30 pounds around 2004....and would like to lose about 10-15 more now.....the less you need to lose...the harder it is.
Played around with chayote and cauliflower as rice, the whole thing.

I am mostly interested in chocolate dessert types recipes....but not cakes....

Also, that mac cheese recipe!!!
I'll be trying that....again when the weather cools a bit....right now I hate to even turn on the stove.
I get so bored having regular eggs for lunch....your recipe could break the boredom cycle!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Thanks.
Rutabagas and turnips, and celery root make good substitutes for potatoes. Mashed, roasted with fennel and onions and butter yum. Au gratin your choice of cheese.
A combination of parmesan Romano dried onion flakes dried garlic flakes crumbled bay leaf salt and pepper make a good coating to replace breadcrumbs. Add dried sage and thyme to coat chicken breasts after coating them with mayo. Bake for 25 min or until crisp. 400 degrees don't over cook. Dip in mayo mixed with cumin, paprika, garlic powder, liquid smoke and lemon.(just small amt, to taste)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Huavos rancheros
Bulk sausage
Chopped onion
Chopped green pepper
Chopped canned chilies
Shredded cheddar or Jack
sour cream
Salsa
Cook sausage in patties.
Saute veggies until soft cook eggs the way you like poached, scrambled, fried up or over top with cheese let melt, top with veggies and sour cream and salsa and sausage patties.. S&P to taste.
edit on 8122016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join