It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mozilla co-founder's ad-blocking Brave browser will pay you bitcoin to see safe ads

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I operated a website in 1998 about echelon surveilance and had up to 200 IP hits/day, meaning only counting per IP/24h, not every site hit. It was CGI times back then and before google analytics. If I remember right you got around 10PF (translates into 5eurocent) per click and up to 2 PF per view. It was good advertisement and you had to both pick your partners and they peer reviewed your site to decide if they´re going to advertise on your website or not.
It was before all those #ty loose weighty, get x for free you know what I mean.

It was also nonintrusive in the form of banners and small ads, text, no flashy, sound activated, pop in your face, have to click away - advertisings.

Back then, you could earn a coin with advertisement, I hosted images on a free webspace account and redirected from a free .de domain of my choice. I only had to put either a text link or a small banner on the entry page, depending in traffic. You had to pay 49DM ( -> 25€) to unregister the domain. I then gave it away for free when user hits dropped and I did not had the time and will to put more time into the project and someone probably payed the fee then. I did a way back search on the domain to look what he´s done with the domain but it went over it.

I´ve also hosted some private sites on paid webspaces, managed dedicates and self managed VPS and -all- came with either sufficient or unlimited, sometimes even granted speed for a laughable price. Even if the advertisements did not pay out, and after 2002 or so, they seldom did, because it was simply for own projects and team related things where you do not have the content to attract other users, nor list searchmachines. Of course on some projects, you´d need load balancing, more hardware and stuff to look over it, that´s another thing and certainly not a one man job if you do it by your self.

I do not want to turn this into a discussion about ATS or derail, just want to use it as an example!
I think the fairest deal on such sites like ATS, is to limit advertisement based on activity. That´s somewhat contraproductive for payement but on a certain level of activity, ads won´t pay out more per IP. ATS manages it this way, although, the way one´s activity is valued is another question and may vary on personal view. I just want to point this out, not bringing critic to the current way.

Additionally, there is a donation function/option, at least here, I don´t know if ATS values that, never sent that code in or posted it somewhere. So it´s a question how much the owners want to gain and what drives them to operate a website. Fun, learning, money, et cetera.

In my eyes, advertisement was always a way to support running a website, never the money that comes with it.
It was neat to use it on other projects that I could not have done otherwhise so I´m the last one to critic advertisement, the problem is the quality and the current situation of spying and profiling.

I don´t know for example if a website owner subscribed to the big networks can have statistics about the kind of ads related to IPs but if there is any form of that, one could use own statistics to generate a whole profile, sometimes even linked with real names about someone.

If external bots and spiders won´t do it. Even a member could write a tool to scan profiles and posts, with tagwords and methods like tldr, generating time based statistics about the daily usage, post times, even login times. It´s open to everyones imagination.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I hope you find them. You must be like me with a hundred boxes of stuff in the garage. Its in there somewhere…

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I've been using Brave for a couple weeks and it is going great. Sorry I've been blocking your ads ATS, but I got 20 BAT coming your way at the end of the month. I'm not seeing a green check mark next to your name yet tho...

<< 1   >>

join