It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The VA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

I am very happy you got the help you needed, like I said I know there are good people in the VA.. Ive seen it, you have to projectvxn as well...

the more I think about it the more I believe it must be an outside organization that comes in and cleans house, friend that works at a hospital just went through one such inspection. (military hospital inspected by civilian contractors)

What they told him they do (at civilian hospitals)is they go through a hospital find where they are screwing up, or wasting money, and tell them how to do their job more efficiently... they then give them a time limit to input the changes... they come back and things are not fixed.. people get fired.

I think something like that is needed across the VA.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I hear you. I didn't even know that I was eligible for VA benefits. For some reason I thought the VA was only for male Veterans. Silly me. In 2006, I found myself on a new job, insurance hadn't kicked in yet, when I awakened around 2 am with excruciating pain shooting down both my legs. I had no idea what caused this pain, but I knew I had to get up. On trying to stand, I was faced with the shocking realization that I could not feel my legs or feet. I didn't know what to do and on calling a friend, they instructed me to go to the VA.

The VA saved my life, and up until 2012, I had nothing but praises for the VA. I was like a mother bear when it came to the VA, and would not let any criticism go unchallenged. Unfortunately, by 2012, all of the amazing doctors that were at my VA, had been rotated out, and the ones that came in their stead, I have trouble even calling them doctors.

I have changed my VA primary doctor 3 times, and I am in the process of attempting to change my primary at this very time. I have seen the VA at its best. It looks like they are doing everything in their power, to make sure I see their worse.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Your input brought me to tears.. Honestly. It's so "VAGUE" what we receive and experience as vets in the "system". Unfortunately, and I will NEVER deem my brothers and sister's situations as trivial, a lot of us are simply overlooked or get drowned in red tape over our validated needs. Our country can give unheard amounts of foreign aid to other countries and through policy, yet most vets are marginalized and receive heinous service if anything at all. Most would argue, 'your bad, you joined to protect corporate profits'... Who in the hell at 18-20 years of age is thinking that diabolically?? They're not.. They are joining, ill informed granted, but actually believing in what they're doing until the boot camp fades away. That in itself is psychologically damaging. Ok so is there a program for that in place? Of course not, that goes against recruitment projections. Yet, the beautiful, patriotic young of our country come home and have a reality crisis, if it didn't already happen in theater, and wonder about their place in a society that might have wondered how they were doing if they could have broken free from regular programming. Our funds, hearts, and priorities are so fleeting in this country, it's staggering. I still volunteer, I'm in charge of growing crops for homeless veterans, and I do outreach. Am I making it alright? In my own way, yes.

USAF Ssgt. (1993-1997)

edit on 2-4-2016 by EternalShadow because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2016 by EternalShadow because: spelling and context.. sorry

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
Oversight? Yeah, I'm all for it... Wait isn't there already a committee in place? Sigh...... Yes. Ok so let's FIRE these members and any like them!!! WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYY!!!! Do we have congressman and woman sitting in their seats for over 30 years!!??? Seriously!! Do you honestly think they have PRESENT thinking in their decisions?? With so many years in office, THEY ARE PUPPETS TO THEIR MASTERS. Term limits MUST be put in place or we will all be mandated to policies that our grandparents used to complain about. Pathetic....

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Thank you ES for all you do. Every second provided by volunteers is greatly needed and appreciated.

When I was in hospital, a group of young children came by with cards, and socks. Of course they didn't expect to see a female patient, and they were all excited, because they didn't have any socks for women. I told them they were wonderful socks, and they were my favorite. They had me crying like a baby. I didn't lie. Those socks are my favorite, and I wear them with delight, at least a couple times a month.

I never realized before being flat on my face, how difficult it is to do just the simple things, like combing your hair, or brushing your teeth, when you can't even lift your head. It isn't until you are as weak as a baby, and you look, into the beaming eyes of a person that just wants to help, and see the genuine smile, of someone that takes pleasure in helping those that can't help themselves, that you know in your heart of hearts, how special and how important volunteers are to the sick and weak.

May you be forever blessed for the generous gifts of your time and presence. It means more than you will ever truly know.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Very uplifting and motivating, thank you for sharing and I wish you a speedy recovery or at the very least, the ability to except certain changes to your life with grace.
Look, I'm not a cheese ball or anything but I look at all service members and vets as family. It's easy doing what I do, it's harder, understandably, for vets to accept it. I get push back all the time... but 9 times out if 10, its really about follow through, then the trust begins. I found more often than not that when it comes down to it, we mostly have each other and nothing else.....and I refuse to let any service member or veteran believe they have "nothing else."

Our faith in each other will always out weigh our faith in the system... And that's the core of our strength amongst ourselves and others.
God bless you too sister..

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Irish, I will do as you suggest and contact the VFW. Thanks to all here that served. I know that I wouldn't have made it...

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I had an odd wild thought... partly do to sleep deprivation partly due to the booze..

would veterans be better served having say a million dollars a year per veteran put in a fund strictly for health care purposes, and letting the vets go on the open market for health care?

The fed gets to save 160 billion a year roughly... and vets get to actually go to doctors that will see them sooner than a year plus down the road?

I am not smart enough, or rested enough to see the pros and cons... tear the basic idea apart please.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Individual healthcare accounts has been an idea floated around for a long time now. It is a good idea, but the amount per year should depend on exactly what the projected costs for a particular veterans care is.

I'm 30% myself, I don't need one million per year to use on healthcare services.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join