It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American abroad? Try traveling Canadian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Go Canadian

Are you a American that plans to travel abroad? Feel that Americans are hated world wide, No fear the Canada kit is here.

Try traveling Canadian Clothing kit sold as disguise for wary tourists

This handy kit comes with the O' Canada T-shirt, Maple leaf pin, Canada patch and window decal yeah.

But thats not all A quick reference guide titled "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" is also thrown in at no added price. Just say "Eh" after your sentence and your half way there.

Is it just me or is this plain sad? I mean does anyone really think your going to fool anyone with this? I have traveled outside the US recently UK, France and the second I opened mouth they knew I was American. Granted I didnt have the "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" guide.

Another thing that makes me mad about this instead of showing that all Americans are not to be hated or back what our goverment does people will just pretend to be someone eles. When I went to Europe people were nice to me and I was not arrogant or self-righteous. Perhaps if people meet enough real American people abroad it can help change our image around the world.

If your going to buy this kit you might as well move to Canada or some other country and do us Americans a favor.

www.t-shirtking.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Heres a pic of the kit

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I live in both London and chicago. And travel very extensivly through Europe.
I was born in America.
I have never in all my time in Europe, come across anyone that is rude to me because of me being an american.....
But then again in my living in Europe I have seen alot of Americans come over and be damned arrogant or self-righteous and thats being nice....
I guess it just depends on the person...
we are not all bad of course....theres just some sore thumbs we cant do anything about I guess.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I heard some stories of before I went to Paris but people were very nice. Im sure you might run across some people that would mean just because you are American but if you are respectful I dont think it will ever be a problem.

I dont know why anyone would want to pretend your someone your not. If you are really nervous get a I voted for Kerry T-shirt or something. If you go over to another county and act arrogant then I have no pity for you and you deserve whatever you get.

I really think anyone that would go so far as to pretend to be someone eles is not going to be a arrogant person when abroad and thus have no problem. Infact they would likely help the image of the US.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
if you really want to know...being back and forth so much....the majority of "disagreeable people" I run into is in America!
I know everywhere has them of course...but thats just my experiences.

I dont know why either someone would want to deny who they are....I do hold dual citizenship...but I never have denied I was american ever....Iam who Iam....Im me and like no one else...and if people want to judge me on what country Im from....or think they might know what Im like because of it...then so be it...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

If you are really nervous get a I voted for Kerry T-shirt or something.

Thats pretty funny.
I used to work in an Internet Cafe for a while, and came across a lot
of American people, they were all very nice. I'm sure there is the odd one
or two out though.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This makes me sick.

American's have tarnished their reputations, and now they have to go and ruin someother countries good name.

How pathetic.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I do not dislike anyone based on what country they are from, and I tend to believe most people from other countries are the same way. I have no worries about travelling abroad, and my job will be requiring me to do so a lot shortly.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
"This makes me sick.

American's have tarnished their reputations, and now they have to go and ruin someother
countries good name.

How pathetic."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, this little "Be a Canadian" kit was created by a Canadian, not an American, it wasn't our idea. Second, it is meant as a joke, yes you can waste your money and buy it, but do you actually think wearing a t-shirt or having a decal on your car will make others think your a Canadian.
Whats pathetic is that anyone would actually think this .
I'm an American, married to a Canadian by the way, and I travel abroad quite often. I have no problems with my nationality, nor do others . Only ignorant / prejudice people put labels on people and categorize them according to their country of origin. Of course there are some Americans that totally misrepresent our country, but I think thats true of a lot of people and places.
I think people that prejudge others in this way are no better than those they despise so much.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
There is a universal law which I feel to be the most basic of truths, in most of the major world religions this law is taught. It is the best universal law and applies to everyday situations, especially with this "fear" of being hated becuase of your nationality.

That Law, Do Unto Others as you would have others do unto to you. In the most basic of terms, treat others the way you want to be treated. If you want kindness show kindness, if you want rude, be rude.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This makes me sick. THANK YOU AMERICA!
Thanks for denigrating our flag and nation(and yours at the same time) for posing as a Canadian to make you "feel" safer. Most of the time when you show you're pass port overseas you will get some... interesting responses heh. Need to get some fraudulent Passports too to complete the disguise and if someone is willing to go that far to hide his nationality then that should tell ya something

NOTE: This is only to Americans who do this type of thing and is not directed at all americans so plz don't flame.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by sardion2000]

top topics

join