It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio man faces felony charges for creating satirical police department Facebook page.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Thank goodness they got this dangerous felon off the streets.

Who knows what else he might have done: ripped a tag off a mattress, crossed the street on a red light, farted in an elevator... the list is endless.

Ohio man faces felony charges for creating satirical police department Facebook page.

PARMA, OHIO — A 27-year-old Parma man faces possible criminal charges that accuse him of creating a parody Facebook account that mimicked the Parma Police Department's official page.

Anthony Novak, 27, of Pinegrove Avenue faces a possible felony count of disrupting public services for the page that investigators said he created March 2.

The page contained what Parma police considered "derogatory" and "inflammatory" information that appeared as though it was coming directly from department officials, Lt. Kevin Riley said.

The page featured a number of fake news items, made up crimes and other jokes that took a swipe at the department. One post was a phony explanation for how the department goes about selecting its new recruits:

"The test will consist of a 15 question multiple choice definition test followed by a hearing test. Should you pass you will be accepted as an officer of the Parma Police Department."

edit on 27-3-2016 by gladtobehere because: spacing

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Well DAMN! Doesn't that bring a whole new meaning to the PC Police!

No wonder comedy has sucked lately!

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Whereas I am no true student of the law... I was always under the impression that satire was a protected form of free speech in 'Merikuh.... Per the SCOTUS, actually.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Whereas I am no true student of the law... I was always under the impression that satire was a protected form of free speech in 'Merikuh.... Per the SCOTUS, actually.

It is, that doesn't mean they can't still try to put you away.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Oh it is indeed. Nonetheless, the alleged felon will be spending a pretty penny defending himself from the charges. Surely the last time he makes such a mistake.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Best not challenge their authority, even with humor. They're liable to break your funny bone.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
-Voltaire
edit on 27-3-2016 by ShadowLink because: Forgot to quote.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Social media, the death of Amerrkka!!!

/sarc.

Freedom of speech? ?? Wt#?

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Ahh one step closer to making sure everyone has a felony in the United States.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

I'm thinking Voltaire originally said something to that effect....

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

He did, sorry I forgot to quote.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Riley said that while the department recognizes Parma citizens' rights to exercise their freedom of speech, department officials believe the parody page went too far.

"In this particular case, we believe the material that Novak posted on the fake account crossed the line from satire to an actual risk to public safety," he said. "We presented the facts of this case and the investigation to our law department and they agreed that Novak's actions were criminal in nature."

Hmm, a risk to public safety you say? Lets just see about that. Here is another SOURCE with a small photo gallery of several screenshots of these posts that were determined to have an "actual risk to public safety".

I wonder if this will end the same way THIS case ended in which an individual was awarded $125,000 after being arrested for creating and operating a parody Twitter account of the city of Peoria's Mayor.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just reading the City of Parma Police Department Facebook page haha.... lots of pissed off people, classic police state stupidity. City of Parma Police Department Facebook www.facebook.com...

It seems this guy was just mocking posts by Parma police.... someone got butthurt at PPD.

edit on 27-3-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

And of course. . . . . .

The parody page is already down

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I know how you feel... Nowadays no one has a sense of humor ...

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
"...a new law that will prohibit residence of Parma from giving ANY HOMELESS person food, money or shelter in our city..."

Is just one example of his grammar and syntax.

I can see why they were worried he might appear legit.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
hmmm, when America makes fun of other billions of people's religious beliefs, we declare human rights abuse across the globe.
try exposing our own ineptitudes or flaws... .... 'felony charges'

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just digging around.... I would avoid that town, they don't have a sense of humor!

Parmageddon Is Upon Us!
www.copblock.org...

edit on 27-3-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I guess i missed something... Did i wake up in germany? Is the year 1939?

I must have fell asleep and spilled my scotch on my time machine controls...

new topics

top topics

join