It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My experience: The charity of the downtrodden and homeless

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Such a wonderfully uplifting story, thanks for sharing it here man

I slept on the streets from early January to late May when I was a 16 year old runaway many years ago, I met some of the kindest people who had nothing themselves, but sadly I also met some of the worst to be found in humanity.
I love that you and Garvin are friends to this day.
Lovely story, made me smile.
edit on 21.3.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Thank you sir, and I too am glad you made it out of the crunge, many do not and its very sad. I have over the times tried to help Garvin I got him a job handing out news papers in the morning but the fact is he has resigned himself to the life he is living (and is happy or as happy as he can be he has many friends because of his kindness and integrity often not found even in "high society" )and I do not judge him for it, because truthfully that man has paid his debt and is paying it everyday that he lives. I still visit him and we cut it up like those nights that I needed a friend very badly and he was there. Reminds me of a song, and thanks for your post.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
100% agree.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Ah, I reckon so long as you accept each others different paths and you still care for each other then that's all that matters.
It's amazing the friendships we can have in life. I'm equally chilled having a beer with a heroin addict friend of mine as I am drinking Champagne with millionaire friends, probably more chilled with my heroin addict mates to be honest.

If I may, I'll share my story of the person who finally helped me out of sleeping rough all those years ago.
First off, I didn't look homeless, I showered in the bus station toilets which cost 50 pence, I washed my clothes in the launderette, and spent my days first at the government jobcentre applying for work, then after being declined jobs for not having an address, I could be found at the public library reading books.

Being the UK, I was still eligible for benefit money so long as I made efforts to apply for work. At the time the cash payment was about £27 per week and the cheapest nastiest smallest single rented room was £50 per week but I could only get one with a full £100 up front. It was tough, and took so long to save money while needing to survive.

I had about £80 saved in my pocket and Summer season was starting so went to look for work as I did every day, found a washing up/veg preparation job in a hotel and was told to walk there straight away. Saw the head chef, went through the motions explaining I'm a hard worker, blah, then came the paperwork...it had happened twice before at previous interviews, no address, no job...

I looked him in the eye (he was about the age I am now) and told him I was sleeping the streets, expecting to be told no chance.
With a genuine kindness he asked me about my situation, and when I told him the detailed truth he threw me an apron and got me started at work straight away. I worked an 8 hour shift through to the night, got fed well, and he paid me £25 cash at the end of it, with a smile saying "Get yourself a place to live tomorrow and I'll see you 7am the day after."

I immediately found a crappy rented room, and it was luxury to me!!
I turned in for work the next day, he paid me daily/advanced wages for a few weeks until I was properly back on my feet, and the rest is history. His name was Barnaby, or Barnie as I knew him.

I'll never forget that man, he helped me dig myself out of a hole, and his memory is probably what inspires me to help others who are in a hole and just need a hand.

*Edit*
...and thanks for the youtube vid, I like it, and now have a new band to listen to

edit on 21.3.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Great story! Brother and I am so glad you met him, sometimes in our darkest hour we find solace in the strangest places in places we otherwise would never know. Thank you for sharing cheers

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Your story sums it up though, kindness when someone has next to nothing to offer but they still do.
Honestly, thanks for an uplifting story, even if your personal circumstances at the time were not.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join