It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A picture is worth a thousand insults

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
WARNING: Some viewers may find this video offensive.

Emoticons are sometimes used in the place of real words and have reduced entire thoughts and expressions down to a single, cute little picture. While they may be silly to some, others have found their simplistic way of conveying emotion to be quite effective at implying “something” without actually saying it. This got me thinking…

Could a better set of emoticons reduce the chances of an ignorant member actually saying something offensive? We're not talking about anybody who disagrees with or inadvertently offends another by showing them the error of their ways and this is certainly not an attack on anybody's free speech.

The suggestion still grants the user's ability to verbally cast their stone, but with a bigger and better tool set of emoticons, they may consciously decide to use a less descriptive "symbol" of their objection, instead of reciting brash and intolerant one-liners.

It increases their longevity here which in my opinion, only furthers their ability to grow. “A picture is worth a thousand words,” and the intended insult is drastically redefined in the form of some generic icon representing their dissatisfaction.

An example,

“This thread is a joke, everything you said was stupid and pointless.”

Replace that with any one of these,

Here is an interesting article I found while researching the affects on one's intellegence if they resort to the excessive use of emoticons. While I use them very sparingly, I wasn't surprised to see my proposal already being witnessed.

7 Science-Based Reasons to Use Emoticons

4. They soften the blow of a critique

Got a critique or some feedback to share? Emoticons can lend a hand. Studies on workplace communication show that when specific, negative feedback from a superior comes with positive emoticons, employees are more likely to feel good about the message and more likely to make the changes asked of them.

“Our results suggest that using liking emoticons increases perceived good intention of the feedback provider and decreases perceived feedback negativity when the feedback is specific.”

While the study can certainly vary from person to person, they do come clean and mention that many emoticons that appear to carry negative connotations were certainly viewed as negative, producing the opposite effect cited above.

5. They make you appear more friendly and competent

Want to look smarter and more approachable online? Emoticons could be the answer. In a study that had participants chat online with “health experts” and “film experts” who either used or avoided emoticons, the participants rated the experts in both topics friendlier and more competent when they communicated with emoticons.

This study also noted an awesome side benefit to emoticons: It might help you remember what you’ve read more easily! The study authors write: It appears that the presence of emoticons affects cognition as well, because participants’ scores on memory for chat content were significantly higher in the “emoticons present” condition than in the “emoticons absent” condition.

Again, these are only suggestions and I hope that you can understand that people's ability to say anything, anytime, to anyone, unmolested in doing so, does not imply reason to do so. If you can't get your point across without being rude, you only expose yourself as less intelligent.

Imagine a plant, as it struggles to lift itself upward and bask in the Sun's rays. Every thought we share with each, above anything else, should always help lift others to a higher state than before, including the people we detest. We all have something to gain from being closer to the light.

Emoticons to the rescue!!

edit on 19-3-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
(o )( o)'s &

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

That looks like something my husband would say 🤔

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

Is that an owl is a grey ninja suit?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
that would be the anti-thesis of what makes ATS the forum that it is today.

sophomoric emoticons only takes away from a would be credible and sensible thread, with intellectual consideration; just because someone who wants to say something ignorant to something or someone else can have a cowardly veil to hide behind. so no.
in fact thats the equivalent of a bigo.... hmm, i dont want to say; i wish i had an emoticon to express that thought though.

/sarc

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If used correctly,

Emoticons provide perfect punctuation… www.stonewylde.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

sophomoric emoticons only takes away from a would be credible and sensible thread, with intellectual consideration; just because someone who wants to say something ignorant to something or someone else can have a cowardly veil to hide behind. so no.

I don't think that would be an issue considering we already have the ability to post sophomoric content that doesn't violate the T&Cs. I think all would agree that we like to use an emoticon here and there, so why not make them full of variety? Pictures can make insults convoluted to the point where the intended insult is lost. This website caters to a wide spectrum on what is considered credible or sensible, so I'm just looking for a better way to roll with the punches.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
A smiley can hint at the implied sarcasm when you have a dry sense of humor. The problem I have with our current emoticons is that the description doesn't always match what I think the expression conveys.

new topics

top topics

join