It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful gardens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I've had an organic vegetable garden for years, and although I appreciate flowers, I was never interested in growing them. My neighbor has incredible flower gardens, and with each spring, I appreciate them more, so it's time to start growing some, eh?
I've been learning about these incredible plants and bought a bunch of bulbs today, which I'll be planting soon.

I want my yard to look something like this:

Leave it to the Brits!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

All my snowdrops are just coming up, there's even some daffodils starting to stir. I can't wait for spring!
What bulbs did you get?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Flowers are nice and all, my moms garden is blooming.

For all the work, I prefer vegetables.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

I got 8 dahlias, and some canna lillies(the 5-7 foot tall ones), some black-eyed susans (rudbeckia), and caladiums.
Next week I'm getting some Astillbe and a couple whole flats of seedling Celosia.

Here's what the celosia looks like:
It's only 6 dollars for a flat of six plants.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

What kind of weather's she getting to be having flowers just now? I envy her.

Veg is great, but you can't beat the smell of roses as the sun starts to set, or walking past jasmine at night.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

For all the work, I prefer vegetables.

I've always grown produce, but seeing my neighbors flower garden year after year has done something to me.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

That's a beautiful purple, it'll look great when the sun shines. My astilbe do really well here, because my garden's in the woods. They like damp ground, so they love Scotland.

Good luck with the dahlias, they've always been a disaster for me, for precisely the reasons given above.
Post some photos when your plants come up, I'd love to see them.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I got a mix of 20 caladium bulbs that has a variety of these:
About half of the varieties she mentions is in the mix.
(It was $16.00)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Post some photos when your plants come up, I'd love to see them.

I will.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

What kind of weather's she getting to be having flowers just now? I envy her.

The California kind. Sunny and balm 300 days a year. I'd bring pics but don't know how…

She spends a lot of time puttering around in it, (I'm convinced shes part witch). I took care of it for her after her stroke. To me its a lot of work for no reward other than "pitty fowers".

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Something to think about for those who prefer flower or vegetable gardens: alternate spaces! You'll attract more pollinators for your veggies with more flowers, as well as more competing/predatory bugs to help keep harmful invaders from hurting your crops.
Only pics I have so far is of tulips and lillies starting to show some green shoots.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Part witch.

They are hard work, but I adore them. Can you sneak some veg in between the plants? They grow well that way, especially carrots (I don't know why).
I want to grow some creepy plants (arisaema), maybe your witchy mum would like them too?

If you can take pictures on your phone, you can email them to yourself and save them on to your computer, then upload to them ATS. If I can give you a hand, just ask.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I love gardening although I am far from being an expert. I tend to just muddle through. I have been going for the wild flower look in my back garden and over Easter intend to have a good sort out. I like the natural look, a bit messy but good for wildlife and pollinators. Whilst not completely urban I have a smallish back garden. I will try and post some pics of last year when I get onto my laptop. Here in Yorkshire we get lots of rain so I do my best with what I've got.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Scallywwagg

I will upload pics too. Yorkshire has some nice gardens. Here's one:
Yorkshire
I really want to visit England.

edit on 18-3-2016 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My mother inherited my Grandpa's green thumb. I do not have it...but I love to see the results!

I adore gladiolus and marigolds. Gladiolus come in so many colors, but the most beautiful are the red and purple/blue ones that actually look black. I told my mom she needs to find all the black flowers she can and make a garden of all of them together. Though, most are like the gladiolus and aren't really black.

Marigolds are the flower I most associate with my mom. She always has them. I would always pinch the heads at the end of the season after they went to seed. The seeds would be planted the next year, and I am pretty sure the same flowers have been planted that way since I can remember. Those flowers have moved around the state over the years which is pretty cool.

The marigolds have a strong scent that most people hate...but I can inhale that all for hours and not get enough! It is such a weird scent!

My mom told me when I was little...they used to believe witches could not be around the marigolds. People planted them to keep the witches away. Little did they know, but witches started that myth so they could also grow them to hide the fact they were witches. I don't know if she dethat up or if it is an actual myth, but I used to think I loved the smell so much because I was part witch! LOL...I haven't thought about that in years!

S+F just for bringing up nostalgia for me!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'm a vegetable gardener, too. For the last few years I've been starting some perennial flowers like lilies, snapdragons, and columbines to transplant and keep for years to come.

I'd love an English style garden like in the pictures you've put up! But it's so much work. Is there a school or university in your area with any horticulture programs? The agricultural college near us sometimes has students looking for garden space for individual projects. I've seen a few students install butterfly/bee gardens for locals.

The college also has a seed library that we're quite involved in. Maybe there's one near you!
edit on 18-3-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I love your post, I love gardens!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yes, we have groups or clubs for everything horticulture around here. If you like lillies, there's lily societies and clubs!
Everything!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Me too! As I said, my neighbor's flower gardens awoke something in me. I'm planting many, many flowers this spring.
I look forward to sharing pics here.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I can't wait to see you photos. I am sure your flowers will be amazing!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join