It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Career Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So I made a complete career change last week.

I've been in manual labor and production my whole life, with some delivery on the side here and there.
Well, an opportunity came up and I decided to give it a shot. I was hired at a local car dealership as a salesman last Saturday and started Monday.

I've never had a (legal) job selling anything, and very little customer service, but somehow I managed to convince them to give me a shot after a 2 hr interview.

I tell ya what, it's been a HUGE change, going from tatteted jeans and t-shirts to a button down and tie everyday.

So, have any of you ever made such a change before? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Also, I'm willing to take any advice from people that have been in the sales field before. Especially cars.

Have a great one ATS!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

been in manual labor and production my whole life

car dealership as a salesman

So you've gone from an honest job to a car salesman! hahaha - only joking; good luck

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I went from manufacturing to retail; However I do own the gallery with partners.

Sales, isn't about the product. It's about winning the customers trust.

Sincerity....If you can fake that...you got it made. Cynical...but true!

I have found when dealing with customers and winning their trust...ask them about their lives, children and hobbies...then start your sales pitch. Don't get in a rush to close the sale. Sales is a subtle art form...

I suggest reading a very old book called..."How to Win friends and Influence People"
edit on 17-3-2016 by olaru12 because: #%^H^&&TJ

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

LoL
Yea, pretty much.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thats my understanding of it so far.

I was told to first take care of the customer and that in itself adds value to whatever product being sold.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
New cars or used cars?
My neighbor's son does very well at a local Subaru dealership. He sells new and late-model.
The Forresters practically sell themselves.

I think if you are friendly and have a sense of humor, that's half the battle. You must be convincing and not pushy, or needy. Studies have shown repeatedly that if you make your prospective customer believe you are similar to them, they're far more likely to trust you and even 'like' you.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

Thats my understanding of it so far.

I was told to first take care of the customer and that in itself adds value to whatever product being sold.

True...

but there is a formula to use with your sales pitch. Used properly; you can sell anything to anybody....almost.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I spent 8 years as an HVAC/R tech, and am now almost in my 3rd year as an English teacher.

It's been a change of perspective to say the least....instead of cursing machines, I get to curse students...jk

I'm presently working on my next career change as a singer. Time to get rich.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I've been studying Joe Verde all week. The man is a genius when it comes to selling.

I'm figuring out the steps, phrasing and timing right now.

Really, the only thing I'm having any issues with is the forms and paperwork. It's jyst not my strong suite, I'd rather be engaging with the customers. But, alas, the paperwork still needs done.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

New and used Chevy GMC and Cadillac.

I'm just glad that I don't have to try and convince people to buy Fords, I don't think my conscience could handle that.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

That sounds awesome.

I hope it all works out for you.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I hope it works out! Best wishes. Just remember though, you can make it if you want to make it! The opportunity is totally up to you

I myself just went from stock boy to cable guy.

...Now if I can just get a job with the word 'man' in it, I'll be set!

Oh, and my advice for customer service/ sales: always speak as if you know what you're talking about, even when you don't. Your confidence in yourself inspires the customer to agree with you

edit on 17-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I went from working in a cabinet shops and a piano shop and working for myself restoring antiques and building cabinets, furniture and guitars to going back to college and becoming an engineer. I work at a desk now and feel like I'm dying inside. Problem is, I make 5 - 10 times what I did back then and can't afford a pay cut.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
I spent 8 years as an HVAC/R tech, and am now almost in my 3rd year as an English teacher.

It's been a change of perspective to say the least....instead of cursing machines, I get to curse students...jk

I'm presently working on my next career change as a singer. Time to get rich.

Good luck in the entertainment biz.

That too, is my current career change as a SAG/AFTRA actor, IATSE crew and self employed screenwriter/filmmaker.

Time to get rich indeed!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I worked for many years in the hospitality, resort, tourism industry.
I absolutely LOVED it. I can't, to this day, believe I left.
I work in an office all day/every day now and although what I do is important to the company and the people we serve and the community overall I feel less than fulfilled.
I make a lot less money now also and I know money isn't everything but....
If you can find something you enjoy AND make good money...good for you!

Good Luck!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Good luck in your new opportunity

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I went from working on farms, cleaning horse manure and being from head to toe in grease while repairing tractors to an engineering job at a medical device manufacturer (button up shirt and slacks everyday and working in/out of clean rooms).

I still play in the dirt & slop all weekend though

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Congratulations!

JMO but I did my best sales work by starting conversations out finding out what the customer already knew about the product, then filling in the gaps with more specialized info. It engages them and you come off more as a ally than the alternative.

One thing that surprised me was getting constantly approached while I was out on my own time running errands and realizing I represented my employer everywhere I went. Sales isn't like an office job where you are more anonymous.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Thats actually one of the better ways to start. It allows you to find out what the customer is actually looking for and why.

new topics

top topics

join