It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post Editorial: GOP must aim for a brokered convention (to defend democracy)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

DONALD TRUMP’S primary victories Tuesday present the Republican Party with a stark choice. Should leaders unite behind Mr. Trump, who has collected the most delegates but may reach the convention in July without a nominating majority? Or should they do everything they can to deny him the nomination? On a political level, this may be a dilemma. As a moral question, it is straightforward. The mission of any responsible Republican should be to block a Trump nomination and election.

We do not take this position because we believe Mr. Trump is perilously wrong on the issues, although he is. His proposed tariff on Chinese imports could spark a trade war and global depression. His proposed tax plan would bankrupt the government while enriching his fellow multimillionaires. But policy proposals, however ill-formed and destructive, are not the crux of the danger.
To defend our democracy against Trump, the GOP must aim for a brokered convention

Defend democracy? A US president can't do much of anything alone:

The World’s Least Powerful Man, The Obama Puppet By Paul Craig Roberts

How can anyone claim that destroying the democratic process equals "defending" it? That is really Orwellian. I'm at a point where I can't even relate to some of this stuff at all.

Hardly anyone saw the thread linked to above so I'm including part of it here:

originally posted by: Profusion
For those who think someone like Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump can lead a revolution, alone, within the system as it currently stands, read this again:

"President Obama can order the Guantanamo torture chamber closed and kidnapping and rendition and torture to be halted, but no one carries out the order."

How did that happen? Obama signed the following Executive Order on January 22, 2009:

EXECUTIVE ORDER -- REVIEW AND DISPOSITION OF INDIVIDUALS DETAINED AT THE GUANTÁNAMO BAY NAVAL BASE AND CLOSURE OF DETENTION FACILITIES

A little history lesson for those who can't remember:

In a speech at the National Defense University in Washington, Obama said his Jan. 21, 2009, executive order to close the prison was never implemented because House Republicans placed funding and legislative restrictions on moving suspected terrorists from the facility and blocked efforts to shut it down. But he didn’t mention his own administration’s missteps in not shutting down the prison in one year’s time, as he had promised.

“As president, I have tried to close Gitmo,” Obama said. “I transferred 67 detainees to other countries before Congress imposed restrictions to effectively prevent us from either transferring detainees to other countries, or imprisoning them in the United States. These restrictions make no sense.”
How Obama Bungled the Guantánamo Closing

If Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump try to change the system from the inside, why should we believe that they will have results that are any different from the above?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
edit on 17-3-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Nicely written.

S&F

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

DONALD TRUMP’S primary victories Tuesday present the Republican Party with a stark choice. Should leaders unite behind Mr. Trump, who has collected the most delegates but may reach the convention in July without a nominating majority? Or should they do everything they can to deny him the nomination? On a political level, this may be a dilemma. As a moral question, it is straightforward. The mission of any responsible Republican should be to block a Trump nomination and election.

We do not take this position because we believe Mr. Trump is perilously wrong on the issues, although he is. His proposed tariff on Chinese imports could spark a trade war and global depression. His proposed tax plan would bankrupt the government while enriching his fellow multimillionaires. But policy proposals, however ill-formed and destructive, are not the crux of the danger.
To defend our democracy against Trump, the GOP must aim for a brokered convention

Defend democracy? A US president can't do much of anything alone:

The World’s Least Powerful Man, The Obama Puppet By Paul Craig Roberts

How can anyone claim that destroying the democratic process equals "defending it"? That is really Orwellian. I'm at a point where I can't even relate to some of this stuff at all.

Hardly anyone saw the thread linked to above so I'm including part of it here:

For those who think someone like Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump can lead a revolution, alone, within the system as it currently stands, read this again:

"President Obama can order the Guantanamo torture chamber closed and kidnapping and rendition and torture to be halted, but no one carries out the order."

How did that happen? Obama signed the following Executive Order on January 22, 2009:

EXECUTIVE ORDER -- REVIEW AND DISPOSITION OF INDIVIDUALS DETAINED AT THE GUANTÁNAMO BAY NAVAL BASE AND CLOSURE OF DETENTION FACILITIES

A little history lesson for those who can't remember:

In a speech at the National Defense University in Washington, Obama said his Jan. 21, 2009, executive order to close the prison was never implemented because House Republicans placed funding and legislative restrictions on moving suspected terrorists from the facility and blocked efforts to shut it down. But he didn’t mention his own administration’s missteps in not shutting down the prison in one year’s time, as he had promised.

“As president, I have tried to close Gitmo,” Obama said. “I transferred 67 detainees to other countries before Congress imposed restrictions to effectively prevent us from either transferring detainees to other countries, or imprisoning them in the United States. These restrictions make no sense.”
How Obama Bungled the Guantánamo Closing

If Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump try to change the system from the inside, why should we believe that they will have results that are any different from the above?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

I wonder if the media knows that the public knows they're full of #. I won't speak for anyone but myself, but anything the liberal or conservative media have to say is automatically taken with a barrel of salt these days.

In regards to this story, I have always believed both the Democrats and Republicans overall work together for special interests (Not you and I). Anyone who tries to get in there way is a terrorist.
edit on 17-3-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I hate trump and think he is just controlled opposition

But if the U.S people are dumb enough to vote for him then he should get the nomination.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Donald Trump is a different breed than your typical politician.

I think that if the House tried some of that crap with him, he'd bring those detainees to Washington and drop them in the middle of the House chamber and tell them something to the effect:

"You want to stop me from doing my job? Then you do it yourself!"

That might set an interesting precedent for America's latest reality TV show:
Trump vs. Congress - Battle of the Cockblockers!

-dex

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Consider this

Neither Cruz or Kasich drop out, and when they get to the convention they unite and combined have more delegates than Trump....what then? If we are doing this democratically then Kasich, Cruz >Trump

top topics

join