It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS Fighter Detained in Iraq is US Born Citizen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
A man in custody that has been identified as an Islamic State fighter has been identified by his uncle as an American. A picture of Mohamed Jamal Khweis, 26, of Alexandria, Virginia, was positively ID'd by his uncle, Kamal Khweis. Khweis states that Mohamed last told his family "he was going to Europe for vacation and when they last heard from him, he said he was in Greece."

Local media identified the man detained by Kurdish authorities as Mohamd Jamal Amin, but that did not match the name on credit cards and a Virginia driver's license that were seized. Maj. Gen Feisal Helkani told the Associated Press that the man was carrying a large amount of cash when he was taken into Peshmerga custody near the town of Sinjar. The State Department said it was aware of reports that a U.S. citizen allegedly fighting for ISIS was in Peshmerga custody. "We are in touch with Iraqi and Kurdish authorities to determine the veracity of these reports," it said in a statement.

Mohamed's father was stunned by the revelation, and states he has not viewed the photos yet. He planned on going to the State Department for verification. Kamal Khweis said:"there was nothing in his nephew's background that would suggest a connection with ISIS", and :

"He's a quiet guy... a nice guy," he said. "He had a car, he had a job. His parents gave him everything. No one knows what to think. His mother is crying."

It will be interesting how this plays out, and if there are other US-born fighters that Mohamed has knowledge of in the ranks.
www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I may get a forum staff warning for this but,

I hope this man's execution is public.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
He does not deserve to be let back into the country, he will do or say anything to get back here and then who knows what he will do.
We know that keeping an eye on him will not help because nothing will happen to him until AFTER he commits an act of terrorism.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
I may get a forum staff warning for this but,

I hope this man's execution is public.

The thought of a group of American-born fighters in an IS army is chilling. Thinking back on the Yanks who went to join the RAF before we entered WW2, or even Americans fighting for the Third Reich after immigrating to the US gave birth to these thoughts.

It would be a coup for the IS to parade fighters like Mohamed Khweis and others to the media, rubbing the infidel's face in it.

top topics

join