It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Science Foundation A-10 Warthog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yes, you read that right. Back around 2011, the National Science Foundation announced a grant to refurbish a retired A-10 Warthog, and convert it into a storm chaser. Prior to then the go to storm chasing aircraft was a T-28, which had been retired in 2005. This left no way to get measurements inside a supercell thunderstorm.

In 2010, the grant was authorized, for the 2011 year. In 2012, the Air Force agreed to loan the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, a single mothballed A-10 airframe. The Center for Interdisciplinary Remote Piloted Aircraft Studies (CIRPAS) would fly it in coordination with the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. The GAU-8 will be removed, and multiple air sensors will be installed. Zivko Aeronautics was working on restoring and modifying the aircraft in 2014.

www.cirpas.org...
foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...
www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Instead of Thunderbolt II (2), they should call it Lightningbolt.

Just sayin'

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Do the research correctly, and they could help update the instruments systems for the A-10, while doing the storm-chasing. I'd imagine they are going to need to see land and ocean maps, along with road and river data, as well as radar maps of raindrop size and water humidity.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So is this flying? Must have the ability to carry quite the payload taking that gun out.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Stngray

I haven't been able to find anything on it other than it was in modification in 2014. It should be pretty close to flying if it's not already, depending on how rough it was at the start.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'd be kind of interested to see how much the flight characteristics change with the gun and armour (if it's gone too) removed.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Apparently as of May of last year they were still having issues. The aircraft was flying when the AF handed it over so getting it in flying condition shouldn't have been the issue.

Downloadable .PDF on the project
edit on 13-3-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviB

They were supposedly loading up the empty space with science gear so there might not be much noticeable difference.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Ah, that does make sense. I suppose it wouldn't be that valuable to fly an empty plane into a storm.

top topics

join