It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Design flaw found in 787 seats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
On March 7th the FAA released a notice of proposed rulemaking for the 787 that would give operators 72 months to replace the cockpit seats. An undisclosed aircraft suffered an incident where a captain's seat moved uncommanded during rollout on landing. After investigating it was found that after repeated impacts, it's possible for the press fit clutch pins in the horizontal actuator could come loose, allowing the seat to move without notice.

Under the rule, all operators would have 1,000 hours to inspect the cockpit seats, and three years to replace them all. It's estimated that each seat would cost $30,282 per seat, and approximately $170 in man hours on a 787-8. Airlines have six weeks to submit comments on the proposed rule.

A Boeing 787 captain’s seat came loose during a landing rollout, prompting the US Federal Aviation Administration to propose requiring operators to replace both crew seats in the cockpit.

A notice of proposed rulemaking released on 7 March by the FAA would require 787 operators to replace each of the $15,141 crew seats within three years.

The FAA is giving 787 operators and the manufacturer six weeks to submit any comments about the proposal before a final rule is issued.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
thats one expensive seat, is it made of gold or something

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

They're reinforced to sustain quite a bit of force, in addition to being adjustable in multiple directions, and designed for long term comfort so the pilots don't suffer from aches and pains on long flights.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
wow, how much??? just stick a couple of lazyboys in there. proper comfy, fully reclining and about 1% of the price and even comes with cup holders, what more could pilots want

seriously though, if the chairs are dangerous then why do they get 3 years to change them? especially as it could move the pilot during take off or landing!! Who wants to fly knowing the pilot might or might not be in control during the most important bits?
Bit scary, I hate fly already so thanks for this thread lol

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TigStar82

It's not really dangerous, as it's something that could happen, but isn't guaranteed to, and the other pilot is still on the controls. If the seat slides back, it may pull the pilots feet off the brake pedals, but that's really the worst that would happen. They always give airlines plenty of time to make changes like this, so they can do it when the aircraft go through routine maintenance.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
If this happens during landing, the seat would slide forward. That is probably a good thing, or as good as it could be. Saying that, I don't know if there is a default spring back position. If it happened at takeoff, it's going to go backwards which isn't good. Hopefully the second guy is paying attention. Quite a few people have died from this. They hold on to the stick and stall out or flip over. The earliest I can think of is the Bachem Natter. Is the 787 a side stick or center stick? I think a side stick would make something like this easier to deal with.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Stngray

Yeah, you're right. Not enough caffeine yet.

I don't think it can happen on takeoff. According to the FAA report, it's caused by repeated impact, so I would think that if it was going to happen it would happen only on landing. While it's possible that it could happen on takeoff, and they could stall, I would think that the chances of that are pretty slim.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yeah takeoff is a lot more gradual acceleration than landing. Sounds like the wear is probably directional, so going back isn't a concern.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stngray
Is the 787 a side stick or center stick? I think a side stick would make something like this easier to deal with.

The 787 is center stick.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Add in that little FAA surcharge too

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

That seat is supporting at least 3 generations of Boeing retiree pensions, salaries of special interest groups, campaign finance, some china sweatshop laborers and more importantly CEO and executive Golden parachutes and bonuses. Hush!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
And people complain that my new chair at work was $1200. Now that I think of it new was 12 years ago.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Yeah, but $31,000 buys a really really nice seat that's comfortable as hell. I wouldn't mind one to put in my truck.

These seats for a truck are $6,000 a piece.
edit on 3/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
A skydiving plane near here crashed on take off taking 5 lives.Cause was pilots seat sliding back due to worn lock mechanism..Its the little things.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

We lost a helo and 7 crew because the tail lock mechanism failed and it folded while in a hover.

They'll get you every time if you're not careful.

top topics

join