It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did This Ad Track Me? Curious Case.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Your one text, job app and other details from/through/because of employer.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I didn't fill out a job application, but if I was targeted by sending one text with the name of the company in it, I'm really disturbed by that.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Through a message they are only allowed to collect meta data (data about the data). Meaning if it was an sms they would see the date and time it was sent and the sending and receiving cell number. Whatsapp messages are encrypted, most programs encrypt their messages, even if it just with a simple algorithm.

And the OP will have to check their contract, employers aren't usually allowed to share employee data outside of the company or 3rd parties. Companies can land in very hot water if they don't stick to the rules when it comes to collecting data. But the rules are very different if you're the one using the services and submitting info.

The OP stated they have an android phone, which means they have a google account which means they have a google+ account and google is linking anything they search on the web to their google profile. That profile can become very large, very quickly especially if you subscribe to a lot of social media.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

I definitely have a Google account, but like I said, if it linked my text message to YouTube via data sharing between my devices I'll be taking steps to lessen the effect in the future.

ETA Thanks for all of the information.
edit on 11-3-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Same happened to me when I started work for in my last job.
Within 24 hrs of starting it was showing me people who worked there as potential friends on facebook even now, when I come onto ATS, the adverts are still for the place I worked. It wasn't even that big a business!!!!!!!!
I hadn't googled it or researched it beforehand! Nor after!
Glad I'm not the only one!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: rjaravenheart

Part of the reason I don't use Facebook is that it exists to mine data from you.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I don't have a MAC address on my phone, it's an Android.

Every network device has a MAC (Media Access Control) address. Sometimes called the "hardware address". In theory its unique to every network connection.

The IP address of the device can (and almost certainly does) change on a regular basis, depending on where you are. The MAC address of the device will always be the same.

My laptop, for example, has two - one for the ethernet cable connection and another for the wifi connection.

It's not related to the Apple "Mac" brand.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I've all ready been educated in this thread.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

a reply to: MountainLaurel

I hear stories like that a lot. Did you cave and buy the dress?

I could honestly care less about ads on ATS, I don't see them; but this? This makes me consider using an ad block program and researching what I can do to mitigate tracking in general.

Nah, I didn't buy the dress....lol.....but I was tempted. In this case I probably looked at least 25 dresses from different stores...and I'll be dammed if they didn't accurately pick out 2 of my 3 favorites to send ads for....all I can figure is that I must have "lingered" longer looking at those dresses ?

It really is un-nerving to be "profiled" in a sense, maybe something like a dress seems harmless and actually in this case pretty good marketing depending on your point of view. The thing is, when this sort of technology could be used to "profile" people on more important and personal matters it infringes on privacy in a scary way.....as with MDpvc who is still getting ads for rings....they get it wrong ALOT !

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

a reply to: rjaravenheart

Part of the reason I don't use Facebook is that it exists to mine data from you.

It's my wife's account!!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I think it is near impossible to not have to use Google something these days.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

If any part of the hiring companies general info is somewhere online or in a cloud somewhere...even something min-ute...its can be accessed outside.

Who knows what the parent employer is linked or hooked up to or through?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It could be through the receivers of your text, company or data after you get hired...even not hired. Its getting crazier than this now-a-days.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE with the ads on this site!!!

I've been looking up bed stores to find a new bed. Straight afterwards, the ads on this site are showing me 'Beds plus'.

Someone in my house (same IP) talk to women on Thai dating sites, I get ads for Thai dating.

I put on bets today for a rugby game in Australia. I get ads for Ubet for betting on Australian sport!

One 'coincidence' (there is no such thing) I could accept, two ... maybe ... Three???

These ads are targeted, DIRECTLY off the browsing history for our IP. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: IamSandSHEisB

Easy...you said it. "I.P." internet provider...with millions of subscribers...and all and everyone through that way are tracked to destinations.....

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
IP: Internet Protocol. Not provider.

You don't understand. It should be impossible! Unless the law is being HORRIBLY broken!

They would have to have some type of filtering in the data-stream which catches the metadata for the IP's.

Then they would have to be giving that metadata on to someone else which is ILLEGAL!

Even the Government can't legally sit in your datastream without getting a court order and going through the compliance department of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Then they would have to set something up AT THE ISP, to filter your datastream.

After this, they would have to sell on that data to a private company who provides the online ads.

ITS IMPOSSIBLE!

The only other way it could possibly happen, is if the Ads themselves are using a vulnerability in flash to steal metadata from your browser.

The fact that I am receiving ads for things that my brother and father look for online means that the ads on this page are 'pushing/exploiting' some type of vulnerability on HTTP ports, to data-mine EVERY COMPUTER on my IP address.

Either that, or the idiot powers-that-be "overseers" of this world are syncing the digital realm with the biological. Which is a VERY BIG MISTAKE! Because that will destroy this world. The digital matrix should not be synced with the non-digital. Because it is unstable, imperfect and weak. Its like infecting working systems with a virus, so that all systems can be 'the same'.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: IamSandSHEisB

Not impossible. No mining of the datastream required. Unless you are specifically browsing in 'private' mode, every site that is visited from your IP address is recorded, as is the length of page view and any clicks you made while there.

The original reason for collecting this info was for predicting network capacity needs... the original owners of the networks (telecomm companies) also have (or had at one time) ad sales departments, and legally have the right to use that data for ad targeting within their own company structure.

The ad targeting itself isn't really that creepy to me... what creeps me out is that my browsing data is only as secure as the weakest link in that company's network security... i.e, not secure at all.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

Yes it is!

What you said is correct, but is only given to the site you are visiting regarding THAT VISIT! And it is for things like browser type, version, java version.

It DOES NOT give information for OTHER SITES you are looking at, or HAVE looked at.

The only way they could be doing that is if there is a exploit in your browser allowing them to see your entire history.

Or if Google syndication has been somehow internalised into the infrastructure as a dns/net filter, and they are selling the information. Which is MASSIVELY ILLEGAL!

This world is seriously #ed!

Trying to turn a planet of people who ARE NOT hive creatures, into a hive.

I wish this meteorite shower in August would hurry the # up and wipe out this planet. Because it's almost not worth living in any more with this type of rubbish.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join