It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer discovers 10,000-year-old glyptodon fossil in Ezeiza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Hello All,

I'm not sure if this has been posted. I have searched but nothing came up.

Anyway, I found this very interesting.

At first glance it looked fake? But it turns out it's actual real?!

I'm not sure if there has been many found. Unfortunately the video needs translated! It's from Argentina.

I originally thought it was an egg? But it turns out it's a shell from a glyptodon

Glyptodon:

Here are some stills for those who can not watch the video below:

edit on 9-3-2016 by CaptainBeno because: Added pic

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno
Cool, thanks.

And here's a
Glyptodon

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Cool thanks mate, i'll re-post to the link.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Who said it is real?
The whole situation looks to perfect to me, I am holding out on this being real.

Ya did some reading outside of this, guess some experts say it looks real enough. But hoax's can look pretty real too.
edit on thWed, 09 Mar 2016 23:24:24 -0600America/Chicago320162480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I was a bit skeptical to start off with, but reading a couple of other sources seems to suggest it's real.

The way it's been excavated looks rather unprofessional, which had me thinking that no archeologist would do that....actually no one should, the ground above could collapse. It sounds like the old farmer did it himself.

Also hope someone who knows how to preserve these things got to it, as one report I read said it was starting to crack in the sun not long after being found

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I am in agreement so far. The shell looks to good ,to perfect and if no proffesionals were at the scene then who cleaned that shell up so well. After 10.000 years and that thing comes out looking like movie prop that just doesnt quite manage to as aged and real is it was intended to be.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

We call that an armadillo where I come from.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

I was a bit skeptical to start off with, but reading a couple of other sources seems to suggest it's real.

The way it's been excavated looks rather unprofessional, which had me thinking that no archeologist would do that....actually no one should, the ground above could collapse. It sounds like the old farmer did it himself.

Also hope someone who knows how to preserve these things got to it, as one report I read said it was starting to crack in the sun not long after being found

Ok, then who dated it ? did they send samples out that quick and got acurate results back already even witouth the help and pressence of proffesional archeologists? This doesnt sit right with me at al tbh. I am not dissing your thread here m8 but this doesnt look right at all.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoWed, 09 Mar 2016 23:36:20 -06001620163America/Chicago by everyone because: typo

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
very nice find! wow! incredibly preserved.

There was a similar incident that occurred a while back near my city where some kids stumbled upon one of the best preserved T-rex's just poking out of a mound

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

"There is no doubt that it looks like a glyptodont," said paleontologist Alejandro Kramarz of the Bernadino Rivadavia Natural Sciences Museum.
"The animal became extinct thousands of years ago and it is very common to find their fossils in this region," he told AFP.

Read more at: phys.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

Glyptodonts are the ancestors of modern armadillos. They had big round armored shells and weighed up to a ton.

Hahahah you were right!

news.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Fossils are not typically found buried under 3 feet of topsoil in the middle of an obviously agricultural field.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

You are correct. Fossils are usually found after they have been exposed due to water eroding the topsoil over them.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

Typically no, but glyptodon only had one natural enemy, humans. They hunted them for food and there is evidence that the shells were then used as a shelter. This means you will find the empty shells in some odd and random places.

top topics

join