It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Science TV show from 1987 The race to Mars.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
God that brings back a few memories. I think they purposely placed it on before Top of the Pops on a Thursday night so we kids would learn something about science. Tomorrow's World was always great. Science at school not so much so.

Ironically I can watch all the old TOTP shows as well now on a Thursday night on BBC4 too. Well as long as certain disgraced DJs aren't presenting the particular show.

ETA:

If you are outside the UK then Youtube also have the program archived:

edit on 8/3/16 by mirageman because: added video

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
God that brings back a few memories. I think they purposely placed it on before Top of the Pops on a Thursday night so we kids would learn something about science. Tomorrow's World was always great. Science at school not so much so.

Ironically I can watch all the old TOTP shows as well now on a Thursday night on BBC4 too. Well as long as certain disgraced DJs aren't presenting the particular show.

ETA:

If you are outside the UK then Youtube also have the program archived:

It really was prime time viewing and back to back with top of the pops....

I actually do not like the top of the pops and music on bbc 4 as on the weekend there are no interesting documentaries.
edit on 8/3/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I actually do not like the top of the pops

To be fair it was all we had back in the day with 3 TV channels, remember taping the top forty off the radio on a Sunday and trying to edit the DJ out?
Off-topic - I and my twin sis wrote to Jim 'll fix it when we were aged 8...#ing glad he didn't get back to us now!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Full time IT professional these days - but started off with my BBC B, I wrote my dissertation on it at the same time as using BBC's to use SPSS running on a DEC VAX VMS to do the analyses for my college work.

Today I have a laptop running Windows 10 and a 1Tb drive - and look after 5 Hyper V Servers for my contract - my phone has a 64gb Micro SD .

My first job I had to apply for CAPEX to get 2mb of RAM and a 30mb HDD upgrade - waited 6 months for sign off on that!

My first mobile was a Motorola Luggable with an external mag mount - and a for a "laptop" a Compaq, with a small CRT and twin Floppies to boot DOS and Lotus 1-2-3

Thank god those day are gone !!

Still love looking at the old tech though.
edit on 8-3-2016 by Silk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

You could try a proxy or summfink?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

The last time I tried a proxy it didn't work, but, at least in this case, there's the YouTube version.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Indeed I noticed that after I posted. Tomorrow's World. I hope you sit down and watch them all and laugh at our English ways.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I actually do not like the top of the pops and music on bbc 4 as on the weekend there are no interesting documentaries.

I love BBC4 because of the music and the documentaries. The 1980s were the days of my youth and the post-punk bands were (in my opinion) the last time we had any real originality in popular music. Plus the bands around then had something to say rather than the insipid plastic politically correct pop of today,

Anyway I digress.

Does anyone remember this on Tomorrow's World? All about a plastic that could withstand tremendous heat like that from even a nuclear explosion. Might have saved a few space shuttle disasters and a lot more. But for some reason the inventor, Maurice Ward, chose never to go into business with any of the major corporations and the secret may be lost forever now. Maurice passed away in 2011.

We had one of those mega-threads about it (blimey that was 4 years ago now)

Has the secret to Starlite been lost forever?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join