It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yelling my opinion at you means I'm RIGHT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I probably should just stop debating people online, but I actually experience this out in the real world, and see it everywhere. (I'm looking at you Westboro Baptist Church). I mean just look at the GOP Debates.
But for the record YELLING AT ME DURING A DISCUSSIONS/DEBATES DOES NOT MAKE YOU RIGHT.
Speaking the loudest and interrupting doesn't mean you are the smartest person talking, or that you are some how winning.

Earlier I was having a pretty calm discussion about people being homosexual and how it occurs.
I was saying that I believe its both nature and nurture. I think that some people are born gay, and that others develop that way because of experiences they may have in their earlier years that effect their development.
And I also think that regardless of how it comes about, that people deserve equal rights regardless of who they are sexually attracted too.

Another person who was part of the conversation said he didn't agree that people were born that way. He claimed that its all nurture. He said that people become gay because of society. He claimed that the pressures of society cause it. That men are no longer as masculine as they are meant to be, and that Females are no longer truly feminine. We are attracted to masculinity/femininity because we lack it within ourselves. The lines between genders are blurred.

While I didn't agree with him, I was curious about the theory. I asked him how this works seeing as there are currently still societies where gender roles are much more enforced than they are in the west, a lot of Islamic countries and even some eastern countries still have pretty strong gender roles unforced in their society, and somehow people are still gay in those countries.
Instead of addressing the question he started going off on a tangent and essentially yelling over me. He would even ask me questions and then interrupt me when I would begin to answer. It got to the point where he was yelling ridiculous stuff like "Facts aren't real" and "All science is fictional". I had to give up.

In all honestly I actually like having discussions where I don't agree completely with the other person. but Discussions not a YELLING MATCH.

You will get no where being aggressive and overbearing with your opinions. the other person will shut down and essentially stop listening.
I mean I understand feeling passionate about something. I do it too. Sometimes I have to reel myself in because I get ranty. But I rarely yell at people just because they are not agreeing with me.
I want to hear your opinion (most of the time) but I don't need you to raise your voice or interrupt me.
So #ing reel it in.

thanks.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: IvyNeptune

If you pick politically charged topics you will often engage with people that have such strong feelings that they are incapable of having a rational discussion. I am not saying they are right, but they aren't completely wrong either.

Having a thick skin is required of those of us that choose to have opinions and share them. It isn't personal, but not everyone is capable of respectful debate.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

It's like I don't have the quality, but here's some quantity for you.

(I always hear that Jewish tailor saying "Oy vey, don't ask about the quality, look at the length" in a broad Bronx accent).

I find that people do all sorts of things when their opinions are challenged.

When I attempt to win an argument with my wife on rational or scientific grounds, she resorts to punching me and making frustrated sounds. Unfortunately, I am a gentleman and would never respond in kind, so I must either retreat or surrender.

I do find, however, that a silent, incredulous and sardonic smile while they deliver their payload assists in unsettling them.

And of course, a final "Oh, really?" answer de-escalates without giving ground.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

omg she punched you?? hahahaha. least ive not had that happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Trouble is, there are many people who think might is right.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I find caps locks are used a lot by those claiming to be the "silent majority". Making them Infact a loud minority from my experience

top topics

join