It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbert W. Armstrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Who's familiar with Armstrong (1892-1986), who set up the Worldwide Church of God?

Believe it or not, my husband and I were part of that cult once. He grew up in it, while I started attending at age 18. We left in the mid-90s.

Check out www.herbertwarmstrong.com... . Apparently Armstrong was perverted; he'd committed incest with his younger daughter, and there had been a book about that 25 years ago.

Goes to show you how corruptive organized religion can be.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
This is pure garbage. He was a good man. The WWCOG is one of the only true "churches" on this planet. It is no "cult". HWA had it right. No I am not a member. But I have followed HWA for many years and his teachings, real teachings, are correct. I would expect in these end times that he would be attacked. That in itself shows he was right. The PCOG is carrying on his work. They keep the true Sabbath and all the other "holy" days. The "Trumpet" is a good magazine.

Try this link

God's True Church

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The WCG's teachings were unbiblical--many ran contrary to Scripture and were plain heretical.

In the New Testament, some Jews were still observing the Old Testament Holy Days. The gist of this I get was that they were still doing it because they were spiritually immature.

The Old Covenant is no longer in effect. The New Covenant was ushered in at Christ's death on the cross. Armstrong liked to say that Jesus was not much more than a glorified news caster. He denied the Trinity (I John 5:7). Armstrong denied that the saved go to heaven right away, contrary to what Paul taught when he said "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."

The WCG went from one kind of heresy to another. I do agree with the "old" teachings against Xmas and Easter. That I can prove Biblically.

The seventh-day Sabbath is no longer required. That was a foreshadowing. Our Sabbath now is Christ. Check out Romans 14:5, about one man exalting one day above another, and another man considers every day alike (which I do). If you want to set a day aside, that's fine--but don't force it on others.

The Old Covenant foreshadowed Christ. He fulfilled the Law and the Prophets. The law was a schoolmaster.

Let me look up some verses and I'll get back to you later.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
As I type this, I am looking at a booklet in front of me called "The Beast of Revalation", published by The Living Church of God. Is this the same organization as the Worldwide Church of God?

At the very least many of the things in this booklet make contextual sense.

DrHoracid, know anything about this?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by thirddensity
As I type this, I am looking at a booklet in front of me called "The Beast of Revalation", published by The Living Church of God. Is this the same organization as the Worldwide Church of God?

At the very least many of the things in this booklet make contextual sense.

DrHoracid, know anything about this?

The living church of god is a splenter of the HWA legacy. After Armstongs death the Church split over some of his teachings. One became LCOG the other PCOG.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
The WCG's teachings were unbiblical--many ran contrary to Scripture and were plain heretical.

In the New Testament, some Jews were still observing the Old Testament Holy Days. The gist of this I get was that they were still doing it because they were spiritually immature.

The Old Covenant is no longer in effect. The New Covenant was ushered in at Christ's death on the cross. Armstrong liked to say that Jesus was not much more than a glorified news caster. He denied the Trinity (I John 5:7). Armstrong denied that the saved go to heaven right away, contrary to what Paul taught when he said "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."

The WCG went from one kind of heresy to another. I do agree with the "old" teachings against Xmas and Easter. That I can prove Biblically.

The seventh-day Sabbath is no longer required. That was a foreshadowing. Our Sabbath now is Christ. Check out Romans 14:5, about one man exalting one day above another, and another man considers every day alike (which I do). If you want to set a day aside, that's fine--but don't force it on others.

The Old Covenant foreshadowed Christ. He fulfilled the Law and the Prophets. The law was a schoolmaster.

Let me look up some verses and I'll get back to you later.

Sad you have access to the truth and reject it.

Christ said keep the 10 commandments - the Sabbath is one of them.

The "law" hasn't changed. Man exalting one day over another is the point.

The "trinity" is also a confusion of man. There is GOD, the SON, and the Holy Ghost. Three entities not one.

Armstrong NEVER said Christ was a NEWSCASTER.

Christ did stop the need for animal sacrifice.

Christ said the dead are "asleep". The dead are with Christ because time is suspended for them until they awake. So the transition between death and judgement will seem instant.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I would just like to say that I am posting this in a sincere attempt to learn. I have only recently answered Gods call (about 4 months ago) and am trying to seperate the truth from all of the misinformation that exists in this world. I know that this seemingly overwhelming task is made possible only by submitting to God's will and allowing myself to be led by his Holy Spirit.

Originally posted by Amethyst

The Old Covenant is no longer in effect. The New Covenant was ushered in at Christ's death on the cross.

The old covenent was set up as an everlasting covenent (Gen. 17:7, Isaiah 24:5). How can an everlasting covenant no longer be in effect?

Armstrong liked to say that Jesus was not much more than a glorified news caster.

I haven't read much of Mr. Armstrong's work but in what I have read he acknowledged Jesus as his lord and savior.

He denied the Trinity (I John 5:7).

As I understand it he he denied the doctrine of the spirit (of which god is composed) being a seperate "person"

7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Does this passage teach that there is an earthly "trinity" as well?

Armstrong denied that the saved go to heaven right away, contrary to what Paul taught when he said "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."

I would like to learn more about this aspect. What passage are you quoting. The only mention I have been able to find Paul make about being absent from the body is in Colossians 2 and has nothing to do with death.

5For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Verse six doesn't make being like the second type of man described in verse 5 sound like a good thing.

My understanding of Christ fulfilling the law is that it means he did not transgress the law (thus overcoming the penalty of transgression, death). It is also my understanding that he did this to make his sacrifice acceptable and as an example for us to follow. Christ's sacrifice does not make sense to me if it allows us to not be subject to God's commandments. We are instructed to overcome sin by submitting to God's will. We are instructed to use the law to identify sin. When asked what had to be done to inherit eternal life Jesus' answer was to keep the commandments.

Steve

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well put, keep reading and asking for guidance. Looks like your doing fine there. Read the bible for yourself, not many "Christians" really do read and "ask" for understanding. Remember Satan is "confusion". The bible is very clear and simple if you try and ask for help.

Get this book "The United States and Great Britain in Prophecy",
it will help you understand who "we" are in this end times......

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Well put, keep reading and asking for guidance. Looks like your doing fine there. Read the bible for yourself, not many "Christians" really do read and "ask" for understanding. Remember Satan is "confusion". The bible is very clear and simple if you try and ask for help.

Get this book "The United States and Great Britain in Prophecy",
it will help you understand who "we" are in this end times......

Just wanted to add. If you go to the website the good Dr. posted above, you can order up to five pieces of literature absolutley free.

Also Dr., you said that the LCOG and the PCOG are two different splits of the WCOG. Can you breifly describe what some of the common differences are? And in your opinion, are they both worth looking into ?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
["Also Dr., you said that the LCOG and the PCOG are two different splits of the WCOG. Can you breifly describe what some of the common differences are? And in your opinion, are they both worth looking into ? "]

I have lost track of the LCOG because they tired to remove HWA books from publication with a lawsuit on the PCOG. I think PCOG follows HWA teaching more closely and I think therefore scripture. Currently both are teaching the true WORD.

Here is an exert from the PCOG website

" Herbert W. Armstrong died on January 16, 1986. He left behind an incredible legacy of Bible knowledge encapsulated in articles, books and booklets. Mr. Armstrong conducted a well-respected, well-known ministry worldwide. Mr. Armstrong sought to be of service to all nations. After his death, Worldwide Church leaders began to remove Mr. Armstrong's works from publication. By 1989, a serious doctrinal crisis had developed within the Worldwide Church of God. Gerald Flurry and John Amos (1929-1993), long-time ministers of the Church, disagreed with the removal of Mr. Armstrong's literature and were subsequently barred from fellowship with the Worldwide Church. It is out of this controversy that the Philadelphia Church of God was born."

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Old thread...

Studied this church in depth. Studied others in depth. Not going to get into he short comings.

I find that a lot of Churches are based on this guy's or that guy's teachings. Where is Christ in all of this. It is based on His teachings. And please do not bring up the Church being built on Peter like the Catholics do. And do not bring up various books in the Bible being written by this guy o that guy. This is not what I am referring to. There is a subtle deification with some of these reformist.

And most of this literature I see Church's passing out. Explaining this or that. The Bible is complete with its own accounts, scenarios and such. I am not saying confine yourself to scripture, but no supplement is really necessary. Paul did read many different types of scrolls.

Jonah and the fish story is good. It is faith based. We do not need all of this superfluous extra literature adding this or that understanding. You have to read the Bible in the context that God is trying to get across. It builds faith. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. These things must remain in tact. There are some pretty far fetched things in scripture. Not everyone is willing to accept them. You have to have some strong faith to accept a sea splitting in half, or a person being brought back from the dead.

Just about every Church out there will claim to be Bible and Christ based. They'll swear by it. LCOG knows their scriptures very well. They are right on with 99% on point with scripture. However there is one things missing. The most important thing. [email protected] to discuss.

top topics

join