It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idiocracy coming a reality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Idiots have a vote. Their vote counts the same as anyone else. The more idiots...the more likely they will vote in an idiot to a political seat.

There have been many many idiots voted into office already so far.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I'm not saying that it isn't possible (though highly improbable), but it was just a loosely based plot to use for a mediocre comedy. The idea of such a dystopian society developing from this idea could produce a more believable story line, but Idiocracy was just a mishmash of low brow humor dressed up as science fiction.

IMO, I think that the society portrayed in Demolition Man was more believable along these lines and more how it should have been in Idiocracy. Perhaps a mixture of both scenarios without the middle school humor would work better for a more serious sci-fi plot.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

The movie was made by the guy who created Beavis and Butthead, so you know....pretty much had to be low brow humor, hehe...

Still eerily prophetic though. The reasoning used in the beginning of the movie cannot be denied.

If you're tying it to a politician though, Sanders is just as equally an example of how an entire generational group can be swayed by the promise of "free stuff".....

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

It doesn't matter what grade level you think the movie is made for, what is scary is that its truly a dumb movie that has harsh realities in it.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: Gazrok

It doesn't matter what grade level you think the movie is made for, what is scary is that its truly a dumb movie that has harsh realities in it.

I agree with this statement. Even though it is such low grade humor, it's worth a watch to see what people are referencing.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

its dry humor, like the office. Its your opinion that its "low grade".

Its a movie about a society of extremely dumb people if that is what you mean by "low grade", other than that, it has great actors and is extremely funny if you like dry humor (or understand dry humor).

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

its dry humor, like the office. Its your opinion that its "low grade".

Its a movie about a society of extremely dumb people if that is what you mean by "low grade", other than that, it has great actors and is extremely funny if you like dry humor (or understand dry humor).

Sure it's my opinion after watching the movie. It's also my opinion that the humor wasn't "dry" but infantile. Of course this could be to drive home the idea of how stupid the populous had become by that point.

I'm not saying it didn't have some redeeming aspects, but it was definitely low brow humor that would be more appreciated by the junior high school crowd then someone who is a serious sci-fi fan. I did laugh enough that it made it worth while for me to watch at least once, but I wouldn't watch it again unless I was extremely bored.

I also don't really like the humor in the TV show "The Office" either. Each to their own I suppose, I have no problem that you like that type of humor. I'm not trying to insult you with my opinion here, just my observation about a movie that was pretty much ignored when it came out. My only real interest in watching it is from hearing so many references to it in comparison to the direction society is headed.

ETA: My concept of dry humor is when something intended to be humorous is delivered in a serious manner. IMO, the humor in the movie Idiocracy was plainly meant to be humor and not delivered as serious or in a "dry" manor at all. The producers made it quite obvious that the movie was comedy and never meant to be taken seriously from the get go.
edit on 9-3-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added exta comments

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Trust me, Its called Dry Humor. I personally think its hilarious (as I also think the Office is brilliant) but I LOVE that type of humor.

Some people don't and its your opinion if you do not like it

I have heard that before from some people, they believe that "dry humor" shows are dumb or infantile (as you stated).

I don't take it as an insult at all, I just see it as there are 2 different types of personalities.

edit on 9-3-2016 by veracity because:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join