It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed selected by NASA to build quiet boom demonstrator

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Yeah, it would work for that too. It would help with fine control while supersonic.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

There's at least one fractional private jet operator who's placed an order for private supersonic transports, so it definitely seems like this is a market that can be exploited. If the price is right, of course.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

The business community would love to see something like this get built. The opportunity to fly to somewhere like London, conduct a lunch meeting, and be back home in time for dinner would be a huge advantage to someone.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
So? Is this a "consolation prize?" If so, does Boeing get one also in the near future?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

I'm guessing they got other concessions. This came from NASA funds so probably not associated with the bomber.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

What Sam said. NASA announced a couple of months ago that they had a bigger X-Plane budget than in previous years so they were going to be ramping up some projects and test beds.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I thought they already figured this out when the sky quakes out of Edwards were rattling a few windows?

Going from black to white?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: B2StealthBomber

They've been zipping over Wyoming for several years. I saw one out there three or four times.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Any images?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TAGBOARD

Only the one in the article. Every time I have seen them I've been driving and only had my cell phone, which would have seen the contrail and nothing more.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Actually i think i screwed up lol the quakes were the SSTO test, I don't think they would try and incorporate both into one, so Wyoming must be the quiet boom.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Wonder what Gulfstream stocks are doing at the moment?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

They dropped a week or so ago but they're climbing back up

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Zaphod

Why hasn't NASA built the BWB demonstrator yet? Last I saw was about a 1/4 scale model.

Id assume FEDEX, UPS, other cargo transport would be lining up around the block for the efficiency of a BWB cargo plane.
edit on 1-3-2016 by BigTrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BigTrain

They're building a half scale model now. Interest isn't yet very high due to the ramp size constraints they are foreseeing.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

hey zaph,

I've been getting into amature ornithology lately.

question for you. this species of bird in montana in which you speak of. is it similar or smaller than other members of its genus that's resident to so cal? I'm thinking smaller species in the genus that's adapted to a more predatory diet.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
SSTO ??

Are you talking about GOLD COAST type or the BLACK STAR (real or fake).

I my self am sure there is something out there flying in space, other then personal sightings the tactiCal advantages of have a sea launched platform or even a TSTO would be a lost most priceless.

But as far as this boom demonstrater goes they are obviously far along on this technology. I wonder what if something is coming to light soon.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
what a surprise.

I'm shocked I say.

Schocked.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Still just a demonstrator. Bizjet size or slightly larger.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You should get one of those DVR recorders you put on your windshield.

Probably capture a lot of things. Probably blurry things.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join