It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help With Win 10 & 'IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
So apparently it's being called the "blue screen of death" which doesn't encourage me.

My partner downloaded Windows 10 on the desktop, despite my cries of "If it ain't broke don't fix it!".
I hate it. Tried to revert back to Windows 7 but now there are files missing.

Can someone please explain to me in VERY DUMBED DOWN instructions...what to do? (please?)

The current Win 10 threads are like reading Greek to me. I am a techie/nerd wannabe, and have great success with just persevering (lol).
This blue screen is popping up every 5 minutes now and I have no idea where to start to fix it.

I have googled, but the tech-talk is too advanced. If anyone here can help, I would really appreciate it.
I need a step-by-step guide (and a hand to hold). Can't afford another computer right now.
Thanks in advance,
jacy

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl
That message is 90% of the time either a missing or corrupt driver. Possibly video .

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Thanks Gothmog, that's what I've grasped from what I've read so far.

Any advice on what to do about it?

jacy

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Hope its not related to this.

search results

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
You might try to update or disable the video driver. If you can get to your device manager (cortana should find it for you). Then you can try to right click and update. If there is a problem with a driver it will usually put a little symbol beside it when you look through the device manager - makes it a little easier to find the bug.

Good luck Jacy ----- Hurry and get that PC fixed. I'm afraid without you in The Shed I will be cooked! HAHAHHA

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
Any advice on what to do about it?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Find the type of video adapter in device manager. Or go to the manufacturer' s website and look up specifications and drivers for the type of system you have
Try reinstalling those drivers

edit on 25-2-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

Possible easier. Go to device manager
Right click my computer , then properties. Choose device manager (device mangler) from the list. Locate display adapters.open it up. Right click on the display adapter shown. Choose update drivers. Search for best driver. Let it install and test
Hope this helps (and it should)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Thanks Goth was trying to remember the shortcut to get there! Great help. EVERYoNE should know how to get there.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

The old joke goes:
Me : I have forgotten more about computers than you will ever know
Jim: Really?
Me Yes , Just ask me a question
Jim: How many bits does it take to make a Terabyte ?
Me ? I forgot ,see
Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Possibly old files were permanently removed and can't be replaced because of the install.

Could try a complete W10 clean instal- change nothing....then portion a 2nd clean install of W7 in the other portion. Maybe?

I meant PARTITION
edit on 25-2-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Thank you everyone!

I've just been playing with it, and it keeps shutting down on me.
The baseball bat is my next move, lol.

I get into the device drivers, but when I try to update it says 'no update available' and 'driver unknown' so I'm officially stumped now.
Everything was fine until Windows 10 was installed.

When I have money again I will likely just pick up another tower.
Ugh, I hate admitting defeat.
jacy

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
See if you can roll-back driver. If not , try something drastic . Right click and state uninstall. Restart.
And there is system restore.
sfc /scannow from a command prompt
lots of things to go...I got a couple more , But holding back for a while

You still have a chance

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I will try that this afternoon. I need a break from the utter frustration.
Every time I try to work on it, it shuts down again.

Thanks for the help though!
jacy

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Go back to the above post, I have added more

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I saw. System restore isn't working.

My son built the computer and gave it to me when he upgraded again. He lives out of town and travels for work so I can't get him to help me.
I know I can get a used tower cheaper than paying someone to fix it, just can't do that yet.

I fixed a friend's laptop last year so believe that I now have great powers, lol. Must break out of that illusion soon.

Again, all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Even the baseball bat.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
Thank you everyone!

I've just been playing with it, and it keeps shutting down on me.
The baseball bat is my next move, lol.

I get into the device drivers, but when I try to update it says 'no update available' and 'driver unknown' so I'm officially stumped now.
Everything was fine until Windows 10 was installed.

When I have money again I will likely just pick up another tower.
Ugh, I hate admitting defeat.
jacy

Try going into "Safe mode with networking" from the recovery menu to fix the driver. In safe mode the system loads up with a more generic safe video driver so you can make any repairs.

You get to the recovery menu where you can choose safe mode "Safe mode with networking" by repeatedly tapping F8 when the computer boots up.

You might be able to at least get to the manufactures site without the computer crashing.

edit on 25-2-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Hey PhoenixOD,
Okay, thank you. I've avoided playing with 'safe mode' because I'm afraid of getting into something that's too complicated. I'm going to do a little reading about it now.
I have to go out shortly but when I get back I'll see how far it will take me.

Repeatedly tapping F8 will be a nice change from repeatedly banging my head on the wall, lol.
jacy

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Not that you would have known but what you should have tried first was getting into the recovery menu and then chosen "last known good configuration". But unfortunatly this option is only good until next time that you log onto windows.

Seeing that you have logged on since the first crash its of no use to you now

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Yeah, I didn't know that.
I did try to set it back to Windows 7 but apparently a month has passed so that option's not available now either.

I'm self taught, haven't had any tech training but try desperately to figure stuff out. I really will not be offended if anyone writes instructions for me that sound...basic.

Will put this laptop beside me later when I'm trying again, and then maybe someone here can 'walk me through' if I can get into 'safe mode'...?

jacy

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It may be the video card is faulty, but unlikely if you were not having problems before. You can remove the video driver entirely and let windows search for a new driver or download from the manufacturers website.

If that does not fix it...

Find your serial number for the windows that was used originally on the machine(win 7 I assume), there are tools to help you with that if you dont have the sticker or cd, just google it.

Use any win 7 cd to reinstall. If you don't have the cd you can download it legally and burn it to do the reinstall. When I say reinstall I mean format the drive too, so backup any info you need off the pc.

If the pc is too unstable to backup files, then you can always physically remove the drive first and run it as a slave on another machine temporally to take off the files you need before you reattach the drive and format/install.

ETA: I don't suppose by chance you are running multiple anti virus/malware software at the same time? A small chance but possibly a conflict can cause this, just wondering as it happened after win 10 was installed. Take a photo of the bsod if you can and post it.
edit on 25-2-2016 by Nexttimemaybe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join