It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Halo - local phenomena or wide area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Just curious, and this (for the moment) is time limited to however long the current halo lasts. Not a rare phenomena at all, but currently there is a nice big halo surrounding the moon - in the Chicago, IL area. I've been outside for the past hour or so and it's been here, still going strong.

It got me wondering, I'm assuming it's largely caused by local atmospheric conditions, but maybe it has to do with the angle & distance, between Earth & moon, etc. Rather than just googling, I wanted to check this out the old fashioned way (sort of) and ask you fine folks:

Does anyone else see the moon halo, and where (as roughly as you want to share) are you? (Please, also answer if you do not, and where you are.)

I'm hoping to determine if the same thing is only seen within an immediate area, based on local weather conditions, or maybe in a larger regional area, or even everywhere it's dark and clear.

At some point, my little guy is going to be ready to go in, but I'll pop out and check on it as often as I can, so I'll know when the halo effect has ended.

Thanks for participating anyone who takes a peek outside!!
edit on 2/20/2016 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

There's a full moon here, no halo though. I'm in Austin Texas

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: shinethelight

Thanks for checking it out! That blows longitude out as a possibility as we're fairly close East-West. I'm leaning toward atmospheric, but will be interesting if any bead on how widespread it could be (though I'm sure it varies.)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
No halo here...

Somewhere in south side VA.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Has to do with the amount of moisture and ice crystals at mid to high level altitudes that are associated with approaching winter storms. I get them in my area all the time when a major winter storm heads for the east coast.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks Kangareaux
Looking like it must be local atmospheric influences that do it. I always wondered.

Kind of disappointing, I was hoping it was going to turn out to be a cool sight shared by all, but, it always feels good to solve one of those "always wondered about this..." questions by talking (typing-talking lol) with people instead of relying on The Googles, so thank you for the replies!

When I get a minute here, I'm going to find out what the internet does have to say and share it here.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

So here it is, what causes moon halos. Refraction, reflection, diffusion, ice crystals from high cirrus clouds, etc. Interestingly, a moon halo can actually be a sign on pending rain (though no guarantee there, more of an increased likelihood.)

What Causes Moon Halos (Earthsky)

And yet halos are a sign of high thin cirrus clouds drifting 20,000 feet or more above our heads.

These clouds contain millions of tiny ice crystals. The halos you see are caused by both refraction, or splitting of light, and also by reflection, or glints of light from these ice crystals. The crystals have to be oriented and positioned just so with respect to your eye, in order for the halo to appear.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gimmefootball400

I've seen them in early fall too, but definitely more often and prominent in the winter. Maybe any kind of precipitation is more likely with the cirrus ice crystals - and I guess the ice crystals are more likely to form in the winter.

I'll be paying more attention to the weather that follows when I notice the halos in the future for sure!

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I was outside with my hubby earlier, and I remarked at it..I stood there and just stared at it for a while. It was a bit foggy here. Beautiful!
I'm in South Central British Coclumbia. North Okanagan.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I was outside with my hubby earlier, and I remarked at it..I stood there and just stared at it for a while. It was a bit foggy here. Beautiful!
I'm in South Central British Coclumbia. North Okanagan.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'm in South Central British Columbia. North Okanagan.
edit on 21-2-2016 by Weeeden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Cant see the moon its too cloudy, but dang that fog is making it look creepy, cant wait to bike home in the dark muahahahahah

whistler, bc, canada here.
edit on 21-2-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join