It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cattle die on Alberta feedlot bankrupted by BSE crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The mad cow crisis is being partly blamed for the deaths of more than 200 cattle at a central Alberta feedlot that had recently been seized by a bank. The cattle died on the Alberta feedlot because they were fed an incorrect mix of feed, a veterinarian says. The cattle were found dying or dead on the feedlot late last week, just days after the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce took it over and left it to be run by a receiver, Deloitte and Touche.

www.thestar.com
PONOKA, Alta.—More than 150 cattle found dead on an Alberta feedlot were incorrectly fed, causing bloating and ultimately death, says the veterinarian who is investigating the case.

"It's never a pleasant sight. What we are trying to do is mitigate the situation as quickly as we can, euthanize those that are suffering, and determine the cause of death," said Kee Jim, who works with Feedlot Health Management Services in Okotoks, Alta.

About 20 distressed cattle were euthanized Saturday and yesterday, just days after the feedlot was seized by the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. Most of the dead animals were removed from the pens by yesterday afternoon and there should not be any further deaths, said Jim.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In their haste to foreclose on the farm, the bank took over the feedlot and put a the receiver in charge of the management of it. But they didn't know what they were doing and inadvertently wrote a death sentence to a number of cows by overfeeding them!

A sad result of the U.S. border being closed to Canadian live cattle because of one case of mad cow 19 months ago, and a more recent dairy cow diagnosed with the disease which did not go into the food chain.

Related News Links:
www.theglobeandmail.com

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Really, who knows what's really going on with the cattle in Canada and in the United States. Does anyone really think there's only been 2 cases of mad cow disease in North America? We've had a few reported cases in the US and the Government get real quiet for 2 weeks before coming out with the official version--of course the official version is some other problem that made the cows start twitching and falling all over their own feet.

As for the Canadian cows over eating themselves to death---they don't do that. Their multiple stomach system doesn't allow it. They were either fed something to kill them or a feed that wasn't ripe, either way, sounds like cover-up to me.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
kazi, You are dead on. When will people learn. OK I think these farmers should be educated in simple biology. If you feed a Cow, a Ground up Cow(and other much more nasty stuff, FredT confirmed that NOTHING goes to waste in a slaughter house...) then there is a significant chance that tissue born diseases will propogate rapidly. Its really a no brainer when you think about it. Cows should not eat Ground up Cows.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sardion 2000 did you happen to see the new afternoon headlines? Another case of mad cow disease. This time a much younger cow. And again they say--nothing to worry about. It's time to worry. President Bush will do everything possible to keep from making any industry clean it's self-up.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Don't worry, America! You've all but killed our beef industry, so there's nothing to clean up. Thanks again, by the way. Albertans may not be my friends, but they're still Canucks, and they deserve better than to be stabbed in the back by our so-called friends.

DE

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
Sardion 2000 did you happen to see the new afternoon headlines? Another case of mad cow disease. This time a much younger cow. And again they say--nothing to worry about. It's time to worry. President Bush will do everything possible to keep from making any industry clean it's self-up.

Yeah I believe I commented in that thread, if not it was a different thread on the same subject. I pretty much said the same thing. When things get as bad in the US and CA as they did in the UK then we will change. We as Humans only adapt when faced with adverse conditions, its our nature unfortunetly but hopfully it will be the last time and people will start to question the establishment more often which is a good thing IMHO. BTW I am not an Alarmist, so I will not get worried about this, causious yes worried no. Why? Well it's easily defended against. Start eating Organic Meat. Simple as pie, Tastes better too. When more people start buying Organic that will mean more farmers will be forced to do the same and the market will grow and prices will go down and everyone will be better off. Now all we would have to do is Ban GM Crops and all will be well with that problem. 1 problem down ... a trillion to go...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This whole Mad Cow thing is weird. Why would you close off all cows from Canda because on a few cows in western Canada. I doubt that any beef or dairy product from that far west makes it east of the Mississippi.
Many butchers don't use Canadian beef at all. But, here the US goes, screwing over the consumer with outrageous price increases of beef, dairy and eggs (yeah, those famous egg-laying cows:lol
Again.
And, we help to ruin the Canadian economy.
The one thing we apperntly aren't doing is cleaning up the feed issue

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

And, we help to ruin the Canadian economy.

Well to be fair its not "ruining" our economy, it is holding back growth. We could have a 6+ % growth if it weren't for Softwood, Hockey strike(yes that is a very large part of our economy) and Mad Cow. Triple whammy and we are still growing allthough much slower than it could be. The east didn't get hit as hard as the west. Point is Canada has a fairly robust economy, very natural resource tied too so high oil prices helps alot as well. Note that 2 out of the 3 are because of the USA. Hockey strike is due to the Players Union greed for not accepting a salarie cap.

top topics

join