It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Becareful with your Liver! Green Tea & Garcinia Cambogia weight reduction products may damage it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Peace of God to all that belong to the Light,
Dear Readers,

About almost two years ago I decided that a healthy way to reduce weight and maintain a good physical condition was to just exercise every week about 3 or 4 times in the Gym following a professional designed routine of weight lifting, warming up, biking plus a good diet.

I confess that I was really tempted to buy products that are advertised as miraculous to help to reduce weight, promising almost unbelievable drastic reduction of many pounds in just days, like Green Tea extract and Garcina cambogia.

Today I found this article that made me think that I was indeed blessed by God when I took my decision, to go in to natural exercise regime and diet and that I didn't buy such panaceas.

Pls check:

Man given two weeks of life after taken dietary suplement

In few words a young healthy person in Australia developed permanent Liver failure from taken in two weeks a product that is offered in pharmacies without requiring any medical prescription and that is based in Green Tea and Garcinia Cambogia for weight reduction. His condition became so grave that he was forced to accept a transplant of liver from a donator that had Hepatitis B, to save his life.

Pls check:

www.abc.net.au...

I found incredibly irresponsible that these two products are promoted by the media, even without paying commercials, either in the TV or in the Internet, in programs that supposedly give good professional advise to the public in general of new advances of medicine in weight reduction and well being in general.

One of the spaces in TV that has advertised Garcinia Cambogia insistently as a panacea for weight control is precisely Dr Oz Show. Well, I am doubtful that his advising may represent for him any civil responsibility, any liability that can be suable in courts, since it is likely that the program has somewhere in the small letters of the credits that are displayed quickly in the screen a legend saying that you use this under your responsibility, but after an hour in the air claiming almost magical beneficial properties in this plant.

Pls check:
www.examiner.com...

To be sincere I wouldn't trust a physician that has gained fame promoting panaceas, moreover with such Lastname, who is going to rely his health in somebody that promote himself as a sort of the Wizard of Oz of health care?

Pls check:
www.imdb.com...

Again we are seeing a case that shows the existence of a huge crisis of Ethics in the health sector, where is the federal drug administration controlling these potentially harmful products that even an adolescent moved by the TV promotion campaign can buy in almost any supermarket, or in CVS, Wallgreen, First aid or other pharmacy shop?

Pls check:

Young Man in Australia almost dying after taking 2 popular dietary suplements.

Of course any product may cause allergic reactions in people that is susceptible to it, but is the public in general aware of the risk they are assuming into consume these commercial products? without any careful testing? it seems from what this case shows that the reaction was not so obvious to alert the patient to stop it on time.

These two products diet supplement is promoted as absolutely "natural" to reduce weight, something can mislead caution about its use. The label "natural" alone does not represent any guaranty of safeness, after all any professional pharmacist know that more than more than 80% of any medications come from natural sources, especially plants.

The thread is open to all interested members for the free discussion of this issue provided that you remain in the topic and respectful of the rules of decorum and mutual communication in all posts.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 2/15/2016 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: The angel of light

Something else that should be avoided:Yohimbine,which improves blood quality and circulation.

I took some a year ago,it caused severe heart palpitations and I occasionally get a surge even now.

Some of these natural medicines are exactly that:medicine,and powerful too.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Nobody needs products, there is a sure way thats much cheaper......

Discipline. All starts in the kitchen. Stay busy, if we get bored we eat. 3 litres of water per day, minimise the food you eat that comes from packets, and make sure you have a glass of water before your first coffee, or your metabolism will not kick into drive until halfway through your day.

And Alcohol, minimise the crap out of that.

1kg p/w easy.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
People tend to think because something is natural it is not potent. The potency varies from individual to individual too. If you do not create enough enzyme to break down the chemistry it contains or the metabolic byproducts it stimulates, you could be in trouble. Some foods alter the body chemistry too, causing less enzymes or increasing enzymes which cause imbalances in our bodies.

If you cannot excrete byproducts, you can have a number of problems occur in the body. Usually it hurts organs.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

Hi Dear Erickthedoubter,

That is pretty interesting, I appreciate you share that about Yohimbe, a supplement that is sold so openly in the market supposedly to boost metabolism, increase vitality and libido.

I have learnt along years talking with genuine herbalists that some of the most popular supplement products are consumed massively without even measuring their real risks, Many people recommend them like if they would be candies.

Glinko Biloba and Ging Seng ( especially the Korean one) can't be consumed by people with high blood pressure, and moreover even people that is healthy in that aspect can't consume regularly the two simultaneously, it is highly risky to do so since their side effects overlap in a way it is difficult to estimate negative consequences.

A simple aspirin can be harmful if it is consumed regularly in people with gastric ulcers or any other bleeding problem in the body.

Acetaminophen, the active drug present in Tylenol and many other products for severe cold symptoms , also used as a popular pain killer, can't be consumed safely for more than 3 days in a row, without risking liver damage and also never if you drink alcoholic beverages regularly or by a woman that is pregnant.

The problem with the Green Tea and Carcinia cambogia is that they are not officially considered as medications, and so there is no literature available warning of side effects, as it happen with the products I have mentioned above.

Now, this is also occurring with the corn syrup, present as a universal sweeter in almost any product sold commercially in supermarkets. Corn syrup has a lot of bad effects on health, so many that it is incredible that the authorities still accept its use in food industry. I hope the cease of the embargo over Cuba return us to the use of cane sugar.

If you don't believe this, just put some amount of a corn syrup in any small recipient and leave it outdoors to allow animals eat it, you are going to be scared to find after one or two days how many insects fall on it completely dead!.

Risks in its regular consumption are: heart disease, obesity, cancer, dementia, liver failure, tooth decay.

Pls check:
drhyman.com...

I have also heard many people complaining along the last decade on High Energy drinks, that they are also among the products that can create serious problems for some people with heart problems and also with high blood pressure.

The risks involved in their regular consumption are: Cardiac Arrest, Insomnia, Anxiety, type 2 diabetes, Niacine overdose, Severe Allergic reactions.

Pls check:
www.caffeineinformer.com...

Regular consumption of soda soft drinks, especially cola ones, is the shortest path anybody can take toward osteoporosis.

Pls check:

www.webmd.com...

Now, if the soda beverage is diet type the effect is even faster and pay attention because even heart attack is another potential risk:

www.diseaseproof.com...

Again, one more we have seen that many "natural" or "popular" products can be harmful for health, but consumed regularly along years. In this specific case of the Green Tea and Carcinia Cambogia the issue is that it lasted two weeks to have a complete Liver failure.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 2/15/2016 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Heavy tea drinker here, my system has no issues with it. Coffee, on the other hand... I get the jitters and it can cause more harm than good.

I agree with ricky, people are not created equally. I think the standardized doses, daily requirements, and upper limits should be done away with. It likely will the further we come with genetics on the cheap over time.

Also, the bit about ginseng is just incorrect. Notoginseng has a tendency to normalize blood pressure. Red ginseng has a warming effect, it'll activate the sympathetic nervous system to a fair degree over it's average baseline. I actually need to get back on that stuff, I take it a month or two then off for a month or two. My blood pressure is always lower when I'm on notoginseng.
edit on 15-2-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Thanks for the warning.

I read a very good book about what each blood type can digest and what it can't. Found it to be very good advice indeed.

It did make the point that what some people can take and suits their bodies, others can't. However you have highlighted something that I expect most of us can't cope with, again thanks for the warning.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Don't demonize the green tea, it's the carcinia cambogia that supposedly causes liver toxicity.My guess is the guy had underlying liver problems before using the extracts,as green tea is proven to help cleanse the liver and there's very little evidence that carcinia cambogia produces liver damage.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Please guys/gals,

When you wanna experiment with strange supplement or alternative medications, at least use a urine dipstick that can measure urobilinogen and bilirubin. They cost practically nothing and can provide advanced warning of hepatic failure. They do not catch everything but it is better than nothing.

Hepatic failure is a very sad and painfull way to go to the other side.

And at all cost, avoid Paracetamol (acetaminophen) while stressing your liver. It is a liver killer...

ETA:

Even when using "standard" medication, this is a reasonable precaution.

edit on 2016-2-16 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well, a couple of years ago, my dad started coughing. Not just coughing but coughing A LOT. And I mean it was the kind of cough that when you hear it, you think the person must have cancer or something.

Come to find it, it was his blood pressure medication that was prescribed to him by a doctor. This was a medication that has been tested and approved for what it was prescribed for.

My dad repeatedly went to the doctor with this cough and would be sent home with prescription cough medicine that (of course) didn't stop the cough. The doctor did not order any kind of expensive tests (because they try to avoid that so insurance companies can suck the most amount of profit with the least amount of payout on old people).

We had no idea what was going on. He couldn't even sleep because he couldn't stop coughing. I kept asking him if there was anything different that he was doing and finally asked him about changes in his meds. When he said he was recently put on a blood pressure pill I checked to see what the common side effects were and wouldn't you know it. A chronic, unexplained cough was right there.

I told him to ask his doctor to find a different pill and the coughing stopped as soon as he switched. The doctor would have never fixed this problem if we hadn't done the research ourselves. A licensed medical doctor would have just let him die with a cough that was being caused by a medication he prescribed.

Regulations don't fix everything.

And I've been drinking green tea every day for 10 years. My liver is fine. I do agree that a lot of these supplements are useless at best and potentially dangerous but many people have died from things that were approved by the bureaucratic regulators.
edit on 16-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Dear BrianFlanders,

I am also fan of green tea as a drink, but I am not quite sure that the effect is the same when it is consumed in pills for weight reduction, probably the concentration is so much high and that makes a difference.

There is an entire branch of medicine that is focused precisely in how different is the reaction of the organism toward substances depending on the level of concentration that they have, its name is Homeopathy.

One essential principle of Homeopathy is that the effect of a substance is the contrary when it is administrated in very small amounts, that is what happened with vaccines, that activate the healthy immune reaction of the organism when it is introduced a so tiny amount of a fatal virus on it.

Homeopaths claim that Hippocrates may have originated homeopathy around 400 BC, when he prescribed a small dose of mandrake root to treat mania, knowing it produces mania in much larger doses.

In the 16th century, the pioneer of pharmacology Paracelsus declared that small doses of "what makes a man ill also cures him". Samuel Hahnemann (1755–1843) gave homeopathy its name and expanded its principles in the late 18th century.

Please read: en.wikipedia.org...

I would be extremely cautious before to use any green tea pills until more studies prove that only the Carcina Cambogia is entirely responsible of this so tragic case of liver failure.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 2/16/2016 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: The angel of light
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Dear BrianFlanders,

I am also fan of green tea as a drink, but I am not quite sure that the effect is the same when it is consumed in pills for weight reduction, probably the concentration is so much high and that makes a difference.

There is an entire branch of medicine that is focused precisely in how different is the reaction of the organism toward substances depending on the level of concentration that they have, its name is Homeopathy.

One essential principle of Homeopathy is that the effect of a substance is the contrary when it is administrated in very small amounts, that is what happened with vaccines, that activate the healthy immune reaction of the organism when it is introduced a so tiny amount of a fatal virus on it.

Homeopaths claim that Hippocrates may have originated homeopathy around 400 BC, when he prescribed a small dose of mandrake root to treat mania, knowing it produces mania in much larger doses.

In the 16th century, the pioneer of pharmacology Paracelsus declared that small doses of "what makes a man ill also cures him". Samuel Hahnemann (1755–1843) gave homeopathy its name and expanded its principles in the late 18th century.

I would be extremely cautious before to use any green tea pills until more studies prove that only the Carcina Cambogia is entirely responsible of this so tragic case of liver failure.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

That's exactly it. People looking for the magic formulas in super concentrated amounts..... Like the saying goes, all things in moderation.

Green tea, Garcinia Cambogia and Yohimbe have been consumed for thousands of years. In our efforts to reverse the effects of our lack of control of over eating and consuming bad foods and liquids, we over consume counter effective ingredients in super concentrates. Of course the liver and other organs will be affected negatively. It's common sense.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Well Dear StoutBroux,

There is no evidence that the guy that suffered the liver failure in Australia tried to commit suicide with these suplements, he was following the indications of the product, he used them on the dosis recommended by the manufacturers.

I think here it is required serious research by the authorities that control drugs and farmaceuticals in Australia, and also it would be highly convenient that the Federal drug administration in the US start to do their own inquiries, since these
products are massively sold here.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: The angel of light
a reply to: StoutBroux

Well Dear StoutBroux,

There is no evidence that the guy that suffered the liver failure in Australia tried to commit suicide with these suplements, he was following the indications of the product, he used them on the dosis recommended by the manufacturers.

I think here it is required serious research by the authorities that control drugs and farmaceuticals in Australia, and also it would be highly convenient that the Federal drug administration in the US start to do their own inquiries, since these
products are massively sold here.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness

Angel of light, as I'm sure you are aware, when these items and those like them were first used medicinally, they didn't have the capabilities to make super concentrated potions like they do nowadays. Therefore, a cup or two of hot water with some of the desired ingredients steeped within, wouldn't necessarily be harmful unless someone is intolerant of the particular ingredient.

Since concentrating anything CAN be harmful, we must use common sense, look at the history of the medicinal properties and their usage. I would be hesitant to use any large amount of anything these days because there could be incomplete and lacking information.

I rely solely on how people in history have used the ingredients and my Back to Eden book and other books where herbalists have used and have the history of use of the ingredients. Clearly, the recommended dosage will not be okay for some people. That is why it is recommended to start small and "all things in moderation".

Eating too much cruciferous foods, i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi can cause sexual dysfunction and mental retardation. It also blocks the absorption of iodine which can negatively affect the thyroid.

Eating too much beta carotene foods, i.e. carrots, apricots can cause liver damage, hair loss. The Vit A is not water soluble and since your body stores the excess, it can lead to toxicity which includes but is not limited to hair loss.

My point was, too much of anything, including clean pure water can be detrimental. Just because the majority believe it is a good idea to flood your system with 'good' things doesn't mean it is a healthy thing to do. And yes, people need to be careful!

Concentrated supplements should be used with caution. I will continue to have a cup or two of green tea. In fact, I place one tea bag in my drip coffee pot and have it with my coffee.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
A few things. Dr oz never endorsed it, and in fact he hunted down the guys using his name on video and sued them. Not an oz fan, just saying.

Secondly..... Yohimbe. This stuff does in fact give you a horrible erection that won't go away. Very potent, and yes, chills and palpitations too.

As to the rest.... We know alcohol's toxic to liver and people abuse the heck out of that. Choices.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

Really, don't make me laugh? He used his own program to describe Carcinia Cambogia as a magic fastest fat buster that make you reduce your weight without exercise or diet at all.

Here is a link of a video taken from his Dr Oz TV show about this so dangerous substance promoted as entirely safe:

www.youtube.com...

Excuse me but how can you be so cynical or ignorant to deny something that millions of people has seen in TV across the country?

July 2015 Dr Oz about Garcinia Cambogia : The most exciting breakthrough in natural weight lose to date, revolutionary research says that it could be the magic ingredient! The newest fat buster and one of the less expensive too, is Garcina Cambogia extract.

Thanks,

The Angel of Lightness
edit on 2/24/2016 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

top topics

join