It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man skips work for 6 years; no one notices

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

A 69-year-old Spanish man was fined this week after officials discovered he hadn't shown up to work for at least six years, the Guardian reports.

The civil servant was discovered only when the deputy mayor attempted to give him an award for 20 years of "loyal and dedicated" service in 2010.

“I thought, where is this man?" the Guardianquotes the deputy mayor. "Is he still there? Has he retired? Has he died?”

link

I think his boss should be fired. Crap job or not he should of been reporting to someone. Did they not have inspections, audits, daily paperwork? I'm sure in time the other employees did whatever needed to be done but whomever was over him should of noticed and I'd say it is their responsibility and should be terminated for not managing their employees.

There's more at the link and a video.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

For some reason I'm reminded of Milton, except he kept going to work even after they stopped paying him.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
A short video on the subject!

Kind of sad to.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

"We have fixed the 'glitch' "

SIX YEARS?? How ironic that they only found out about it when they wanted to give him an award - "Shucks, we already had the plaque made!"

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing OP

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I don't know who Milton is but I worked with a guy one time that would come in on his day off and try to work off the clock.

As for the guy in the OP, I guess I would do the same thing if I could get away with it.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I so wish that this was me. I would have accepted that award.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2016 by ExNihiloRed because: Nevermind. Spain.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I laughed when the guy said it's not about Joe Biden but it could be.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Here's my application for the job:-

Coolio

Cobaltic1978

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This smells like another Lamestream media fabrication

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What a sweet job, if there was truly nothing to do I could bring in a PS4 and just play video games all day then go home to the girlfriend and say it was a hard days work im gonna need some beers and a big meal

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
There was a story in Chicago...

Where a man built a custom parking station, in front of a free parking lot.

He sat there and collected for 20+ years and everyone who drove into the lot paid the fees.

One day he just up and disappeared.

Many were upset, because there was no one sitting inside the booth anymore, so they all wondered why there wasn't a replacement security guard that took over the old man's job.

Well, I just thought that was funny. So really, anything can happen in this world.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Milton Waddam from the movie Office Space:

The part of his back story that I thought of for some odd reason when reading your OP:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I'm going to go ahead and say this.

I manage a crew of 16, they don't really report to me, ask me for anything, or get me involved unless there is a problem. Some of my employees are better at their jobs then others. Some are more comfortable with conflict than others. Some I literally trust with the business and they make the same level decisions as myself, and I hate to say this but there have been times where my interaction with some individuals is minimal.

Now my culture, we are really friendly and the type of leader i am i like to know about my guys/gals. What they did on weekends. How the kids? Did you go for run? How was that show ? We talk.

Maybe in Spain it's bit different. I didn't read the man's job, so perhaps it's a business like mine where the boss is only brought in for special instances. He has his own work too, he also does some of what they do perhaps but maybe let's his people do their jobs. Especially experienced folks.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
the story is a critique of the bureaucracy that this man worked within.

as a manager, if you are not talking to your employees at least every 2 days, youare a pathetic manager. If you work in an organization that doesn't even notice your lack of an annual review or something, you work in a pathetic organization.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You're right and I understand that it was a government job and everybody thought someone else was supervising him but I would think that SOMEBODY in the last six years would realize that he hasn't been there.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
the story is a critique of the bureaucracy that this man worked within.

I think this has a lot to do with it. I don't know anything first hand, but I know someone who's lived in Spain for a couple of years. He told me a bit about dealing with the Spanish government. Apparently the bureaucracy there is a nightmare, partly because the technology they use there to run everything is still equivalent to technology from the 1970's. Apparently they make hand copies of everything instead of using photocopiers, they still use typewriters to type anything and their storage of records can be questionable. Also, from what he said, a lot of the government workers are themselves extremely bureaucratic and don't care about anything outside their defined roles.

From everything he told me about his experiences trying to get a visa and enroll in school in Spain this story doesn't really seem too unlikely.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
lol.. at least he made good use of his time.

Funny, I had a dream like that once where I did not go to work for a long time and when I returned, nobody noticed. I was wondering if I still got paid.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Odd things like that happen. Some years ago a bloke in England put a white coat on, put a 'council' pay to park sign up and started charging people to park in this car park. Some 10-15 years later the council 'discovered' what was going on so the bloke walked off with 10-15 years of takings, or what ever the period was.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Was he still on the pay roll?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join