It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Cheneys Focus May Change in 2nd Term

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Often likened to the man pulling the levers behind the curtain in the movie the Wizard of Oz, Vice President Dick Cheney has a role that is in flux. Several experts have indicated that Cheney, who was picked to backstop President Bush’s inexperience in foreign affairs and the legislative issues, has exerted far more power than any previous Vice President. Given that he has no ambitions of running for the presidency, there is speculation that he may not serve his entire term.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Like the man behind the curtain working the levers in the "Wizard of Oz," Dick Cheney has been called the real power in President Bush's administration, perhaps the strongest vice president in U.S. history.

But as Bush enters his second term, Cheney's role is in flux. His chief task in Bush's first administration — mentoring a novice president with little foreign policy or legislative experience — has been accomplished. He remains dogged by heart disease and an FBI probe of a subsidiary of Halliburton, the company he once ran.

Indeed, some wonder whether Cheney, with no ambition to succeed his boss in the White House, will serve out his second term. And while he has redefined a job that traditionally involved attending ceremonial and campaign events or undertaking thankless policy assignments, there is speculation Cheney's influence is waning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is funny how quickly vilified Dick Cheney has become. Make no mistake, I am not his biggest fan, however, I doubt he had any more influence than did say Hillary Clinton. That being said, you factor in health issues as well as the Halliburton investigation, I bet you see Cheney step aside and perhaps a 2008 wannabe put in his place for some national exposure prior to the election.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The Vice-President has no official role other than to break ties in the Senate and take over if the President dies or is unable to perform his duties. All other duties are assigned directly by the President and may be taken away or changed at any time. The reason he is vilified is that liberals can't possibly imagine that Bush has a brain of his own and therefore consistantly look in the shadows for a boogey man puppeteering him.

As far as him not serving out the term, I think it's very possible. Perhaps Condi Rice will take it as a preparation for running as President or Vice-President in 2008.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
With all due respect, I disagree with both of you. Cheney has had enormous influence in the corridors of power for more than 35 years. He was instrumental in influencing both Bush administrations to invade Iraq. He knows how to manipulate inaccurate information and outright lies well (called cherry-picking and stove-piping in CIA circles). He has made a fortune (and continues to) from his former work with Halliburton (receives deferred compensation from the company to this day, a major major conflict of interest and he gets away with it, plus the stock options). He has so much power, he's really the one to fear. Fortunately for the world, but unfortunately for him, his health will keep him from ever becoming president

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The strength, or power, or the amount of lime-light or recognition given any vice-president is always proportionate to the strength, intelligence and decision making ability of the President. The extrordinary political clout exerted by Dick Cheny goes beyond being the perfect example of this. When George Bush was chosen to be president, by those who pay for this to happen would never have gone forward with junior if they'd watched some kind of public presentation by him prior to handing him the Governors job. But by then the wheels were already turning and the future was happening. Dick Cheny was a necessary evil as were all the other cabinet members that were picked for George-jr.

Cheny took the job but would not be denied his easy money. Just wait until he gets to freely stick his hands back in the till. That's the reason there's been such a lag-time between corporate robbery and tighter congressional oversight.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

The reason he is vilified is that liberals can't possibly imagine that Bush has a brain of his own and therefore consistantly look in the shadows for a boogey man puppeteering him.

I can imagine quite a lot, but yes, you are correct, I cannot imagine that Bush has a brain of his own. You would think that his own words would serve as sufficient proof of his lack of grey matter, but alas, many are too partisan to care that there's an idiot at the helm, and we're heading for an iceberg full steam ahead....

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Cheney has been the real power behind Bush, and I have to agree with always learning he was behind the hasty invasion of Iraq, and the haliburton no bid contracts.

I remember a year ago or so that he fired his doctor because it told him that he needed to take it easy, or something like that.

Perhaps his health is not as good as we may think.

Or perhaps he just wants to be able to reap and enjoy the results of his hard labor.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Thanks Marg063. I mentioned in another thread about an extremely interesting cdn investigative journalism series, the fifth estate, which profiled Cheney last fall...very interesting stuff, there's a chronology of his career and a few other interesting tidbits: www.cbc.ca/fifth/dickcheney. I wish cbc put these programs on the 'net like PBS frontline does. I'd love for my American friends to be able to see some of the stuff they do .

top topics

join