It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Abortion Foe Roemer Running for DNC Chief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The political fallout following John Kerry’s narrow election loss is continuing to send aftershocks through the Democratic party. The latest revelation is that former House of Representative member Tim Roemer has entered the race to become the next head of the Democratic National Committee. What make Roemer different that a lot of the other candidates is that he is a pro life supporter. This is in direct conflict with the Democratic party platform.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Former Rep. Tim Roemer said Sunday that he's joining the race to lead the Democratic National Committee — a move certain to spark a heated debate about the abortion issue.

Roemer, a Catholic from Indiana who opposes abortion, said said he respects the position of Democrats who favor abortion choice and have written it into their party platform.

"I'm not asking to rewrite the platform," he said on ABC's "This Week." "We have a majority of our party, an overwhelming majority of our party, that is pro-choice, and I respect that. But I think we should not only be more inclusive on this issue, especially in the Midwest and the South if a candidate has those views, we should have them in our party."

He said he's joining the race to expand the party both geographically and ideologically.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As they Democrats try to find their platform for the 2008 campaign, every principal that they have championed in the past seems up for debate. Unthinkable only a few years ago, abortion and other items may be revised to reflect the shift towards the right in many areas of the United States. However, one key issue of the campaign for me at least was Kerry’s vaporous stance on the issues. If the party is going to turn their backs on closely held principals for the sake of votes, then where is their integrity?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
It blows me away that in the Western civilization where we can afford to have many children, we only have 1 or 2 kids. In the third world where they can't even feed themselves, they have 10-15 kids each.

Also I always wondered why dems=pro-choice & repubs= pro-life?
You would think that it would be the other way around.
Republicans who are potrayed as evil, selfish, & greedy want population control to save earth's resources.
Democrats want to tax everyone to death to feed all the starving Africans and third worlders. Save murders from the death penalty. basically save humanity? Right? so why do they want to kill babies? They always bitch about babies killed in Iraq but yet support infanticide/abortion in the west?

Personally I never thought about it until I suddenly had a son. The greatest thing that ever happened.
Abortion is bad. You can't kick a baby out of a moving car.
You can't kick a baby off an airplane or train or boat.
So why can you kick a baby out of your body? someone please tell me.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
Abortion is bad. You can't kick a baby out of a moving car.
You can't kick a baby off an airplane or train or boat.
So why can you kick a baby out of your body? someone please tell me.

I really can't imagine why. In my opinion, choice occurred when the choice was made to have unprotected sex. Abortion afterwards is murder. The Democrats are stuck in this position because a lot of their funding and support comes from NOW, Planned Parenthood and other pro-abortion groups. They won't even let pro-life Democrats speak (even if not mentioning the abortion issue at all) at their conventions to appease these groups. So I really doubt this pro-lifer has a snowball's chance in hell to become DNC chairman.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
While you had a postive experience with your son, that is not always the case with others. People get abortions for many reasons. And its the right of any woman to controll what goes on with her own body.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Roemer's got it right

Takes some 'big 'uns' to tell the ruling elite they were wrong. The Dems need someone that will lead them into the old party ideals and away from the craziness of the 60's/70's.

The Dems need definition, not just a what but a breadth of reach. Like Zell Miller (who I think sux) said about the Dems 'I didn't leave the Democratic party, they left me'

As much as I dislike Zell the man is right. America is not a nation of 'leftists' no matter what the 'left' says or thinks. How many elections does it take to drive that point up everyone's nose?

If Roemer can deal with the internal party saboteurs then he might make it. It would be interesting to see what a party that did what it is supposed to do (support those seeking office) instead of putting out fires it started can do.

I wish him well. Then the rPubs and Dems can have real elections about issues instead of mud-wrestling contests.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
The Dems need definition, not just a what but a breadth of reach. Like Zell Miller (who I think sux) said about the Dems 'I didn't leave the Democratic party, they left me'

I hear this sentiment more and more. But I think the right and left are both greatly underestimating those in the middle who are pro-choice with limits. It is not a black or white issue for a great number of people in this country and extremism on either side tends to piss them off. If in the next four years this "political capital" is used to attempt to overturn Roe v Wade - the tide will turn and we may see a strong liberal resurgence.

Is too much to ask that the Dem leadership not be one extreme or the other?

B.

new topics

top topics

join