It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Marijuana Associated With 50% Lower Chance Of Developing Metabolic Syndrome

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
(post by supremecommander removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I don't care if people want to get legally high. That's not the point.

The point is that everything has both benefits and drawbacks.

When people talk about only the benefits, I start to feel like I'm talking to a used care salesman who's hiding something is all. What are the drawbacks? If you can't acknowledge those or hide them, I start getting suspicious that we aren't having an honest conversation.

It would be like me talking about all the wonders of cocoa without also mentioning it's drawbacks.

And to reiterate, this isn't about me not wanting it legalized or anything to do with that argument. It's more to do with how nothing, nothing is all positive. Everything has its drawbacks. I like a realistic discussion, but it's rare to find someone who supports the stuff who will even admit there might be some things about it that aren't 100% super awesome fantasic!
edit on 14-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Another Cannabis claim that relies on collation rather than proving causation.

They found that 19.5 percent of participants who had never smoked weed before met the criteria of having metabolic syndrome. Of those who were former smokers, 17.5 percent had enough of the symptoms of metabolic syndrome. It was those who currently smoked weed who came in the lowest percentage of metabolic syndrome, at 13.8 percent.

Id rather they just work out the actual medical reason for this very small difference in percentages.

I dont want to smoke cannabis as i find it makes me less productive and aggravates my asthma.

edit on 14-2-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I just wish people would say, "It's a fun recreation substance that has some potential medical benefits that should be explored more fully."

Then I'd feel like people were being more honest about it.
edit on 14-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree 100% with you on this.

(post by Syyth007 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
marijuana has it's pros and cons. imagine a see-saw with an elephant at one end and a mouse at the other.

the elephant represents the 'pros'. the mouse is therefore a visualization of the 'cons'

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Well, I stumbled on this after reading another thread about cancer and cannabis. I think that the future of cannabis and medicine are going to be huge! I know for a fact, it does wonders on migraines & body muscle/joint pain.

I'm sure the same could be said for the edibles and vape methods. I know one thing, I've yet to find any derogatory medical studies on the plant. I, once again, believe it to be a cure all!!!!

According to research published in The American Journal of Medicine, people who currently smoke marijuana are about 50 percent less likely to have metabolic syndrome compared to those who have never smoked marijuana. Metabolic syndrome is a group of risk factors like high blood pressure, high blood sugar, unhealthy cholesterol levels, and abdominal fat, which are linked to increased risk of heart disease and/or type 2 diabetes, as well as other health problems.

Researchers from the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine looked for the association between marijuana use and metabolic syndrome using data from a 2005 to 2010 study by National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. The study, in which nearly 8,500 20- to 59-year-olds participated, classified people as having metabolic syndrome if they had more than three of these symptoms: elevated fasting glucose levels, high triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol, elevated systolic or diastolic blood pressure, and increased waist circumference.

L I N K

I worked on cancer medications for several years. I did it for everyone. That is all

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Why wait for cancer to show up? Maybe taking cannabis oil in low doses like a vitamin would avoid it altogether.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I used to smoke tons of the stuff between the ages of 16 and 27 and at the time, yes it was a great laugh but now looking back i wish I hadn't because I could have been a great Football Player or other Sportsman. I also didn't have much of a Brain i guess... My Mind wasn't my own and I didn't fully unlock my brain until i hit 30. Now in my 40's and it's too late to turn the clock back and do what I would have been great at and had cash in the Bank!

Anyway, hopefully what I'm attempting now will give me what I deserve in Life as I've worked bloody hard Mentally and Physically to get here.

BTW, also took Ecstasy and Acid between those same years plus was drinking near enough every weekend (In fact I'm very surprised that I have nothing majorly wrong with my body, i.e liver damage, cancers etc..)... so if you want to advocate taking Cannabis, you better add that you will take responsibility if said person goes on to take other drugs with their new friends and ends up Schizophrenic or worse.
edit on CSTMon, 15 Feb 2016 08:20:57 -06000000002908x057x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I just wish people would say, "It's a fun recreation substance that has some potential medical benefits that should be explored more fully."

Then I'd feel like people were being more honest about it.

Why do we have to say it when you just did?

What's wrong with feeling good while medicating? When it comes to opiates it's A-OK and a joke most of the time ( until someone overdoses.......Which is impossible with cannabis ).

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
marijuana has it's pros and cons. imagine a see-saw with an elephant at one end and a mouse at the other.

the elephant represents the 'pros'. the mouse is therefore a visualization of the 'cons'

More like the sun to the moon but yeah......

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

I'm sure the same could be said for the edibles and vape methods. I know one thing, I've yet to find any derogatory medical studies on the plant. I, once again, believe it to be a cure all!!!!

As much as I love the herb, I don't think we should treat cannabis as a miracle drug. My hope is that we won't go from one extreme end to the other,first treating it as a schedule 1 drug to the cure all substance once it becomes legal.

Cannabis isn't entirely harmless, from what I know from both personal experience and a study of neuroscience. Cannabis can trigger and even exacerbate neurological disorders and mental illnesses that are already present genetically. Ranging from Autism,schizophrenia,anxiety,psychosis to depression.
I'm not against recreational usage, I think people should be educated and asses the risks for themselves before they consume any substance as consenting adults. If anything legalization for both recreational and medicinal purpose should overall make cannabis a much safer product to use.

Exactly..... That are already present genetically.

The only thing that underlines is how important it is to develop methods to determine each individuals genetic mark so each individual can independantly and with absolute responsibilty make the right choices for him and her.

Some people die from eating sugar, some die from eating nuts or getting stung by a bee.

Just like with mari theres no reason what so ever that we perform a witchhunt on the individual substance, there is however all reasons to educate the individuals who cannot handle getting high from mild psychedelics.

Here's my anecdote again....

4 guys are sitting round the camp fire.
They pass a joint around.
3 of them gets the munchies and giggles and 1 of them gets extremely paranoid and curls up in his sleeping bag for 3 hours.

They all smoked the same product..... Now, is it the product that is to blame for guy no. 4's terrible experience? Or is it more or less his own fault?

My problem is that often when I meet people who had adverse effects from smoking cannabis, they go off parading how bad and dangerous substance it is, when in fact the issue really is that their particular bio chemistry simply does not allow for them to smoke it. Its god damn ignorant.... Its casting aside responsibilty for ones own health and placing it on an outside source because people in general always feel like "it happens to me" rather than "it is me..."

Just like the sun isnt evil to those people who get sunburnt easily, or the cold isnt cruel for making someones joints ache, or grass isnt the scourge of satan for making my nose run for 3 months each year.

If you cant handle it, dont do it. Just dont tell other people not to just because you cant.... Thats just childish ( told to people in general, not you specifically Nate)
edit on 15/2/16 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: flice

If you cant handle it, dont do it. Just dont tell other people not to just because you cant.... Thats just childish

Where did I state this?
If you reread my post in this forum I did not state I was against recreational cannabis use, if anything I said precisely the opposite.
I think what you and I can agree on is that people whom want to use any substance should be educated about all aspects of it's use and the potential risks involved.

I also did not state that cannabis was a dangerous substance, it's harmless in comparison to many of the hardcore drugs. There are risks with just about any substance and cannabis is not exempt from any adverse effects both short or long term. If you want to ignore the information that substances like cannabis may be harmful to some people, that's fine but do not put words in my mouth.

With regards to your anecdote, are you implying that cannabis does not potentially cause paranoia?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
The pro pot propagandists will say anything to push their agenda for legalization. I smoked the stuff for years and it did absolutely nothing for me. The school system tested my IQ for years. I had a IQ of 131 but my IQ started dropping in high school at the same time I started smoking weed. It had my councilors perplexed. In my IQ tests my memorization skills were off the charts. By the time I quit smoking weed I had the memory of a Alzheimer patient.

I've known a lot of people that smoke weed over the years and nothing good came from addiction. Most moved on to other drugs. Some didn't but most did. I did a lot of stuff because my judgement was impaired while smoking weed. It's been 20 years since I quit and I'm lucky I'm not still sitting in jail because of it.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

What exactly is metabolic syndrome? Every single symptom that is linked to it is also linked to diabetes, obesity, and a poor diet and lifestyle.

Cannabis does have many benefits and uses but IMO it's starting to grasp at straws. Remember Echinacea that was proven to do absolutely nothing to alleviate the symptoms of a cold? The same will happen to weed. It's only a matter of time before weed becomes the next big thing in the Doctor Oz book of snake oils.

It has it's uses but it is not a cure all and some people need to realize that before they believe they can choof their way to good health.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This doesn't relate to metabolic syndrome but I just wanted to put this out there. In my 30+ years of performing mammograms, I've seen an increase lately in the number of men in their 20's and 30's coming in for mammograms because of "man boobs". In the course of taking their history, I have to ask them about any medications, prescription or non prescription that they are taking and most of them will admit to using marijuana. There are benefits to it, but there are definitely negatives.....

<< 1   >>

join