It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Postal geography mix-up hits Ascension Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The Ascension Islands, owned by the British, has not received any mail since October. The reason?, a snafu at the Royal mail has sent their correspondence to Paraguay's capital Asuncion as well as Guyana's capital Georgetown. The Royal Mail has indicated that it is taking steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

story.news.yahoo.com
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Ascension Island has been without post since October because the Royal Mail has been sending its mail to South America.

"The trouble is virtually nothing has made it here since October," IT consultant Paul Knowles told Monday's Daily Mirror.

A British dependency with a population of just over 1,000 people, Ascension Island is 703 miles (1,131 km) northwest of St Helena in the South Atlantic.

The Mirror said the mail had been mistakenly sent to Paraguay's capital Asuncion as well as Guyana's capital Georgetown, which shares the same name as the Ascension Island's capital.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How could it be that no one noticed or complained until now? I mean there are only 1000 people, but you would have thought that after a week or so, somebody would have made a call or something. At any rate, kind of makes my Post Office seem a bit better when taken in this context.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Has anything else hit the island...
I'm hearing a rumor communication
has been lost ?

join