It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravitational Waves Detected, Confirming Einstein’s Theory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
imo g waves have been created in number of anti gravity devices.
a reply to: Arbitrageur

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

As the article explains, gravitational waves were first allegedly detected in 1969 by Joseph Weber, but our belief now is that it probably wasn't a real detection, so, keep that in mind with this announcement.

As the article explains? Did I say something wrong?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DutchMasterChief
As the article explains? Did I say something wrong?
Yes, this is wrong in two ways:

gravity waves are confirmed.

First, gravity waves and gravitational waves sound like the same thing but they are completely different. These are evidence of gravity waves and we've seen these for many years:

Gravity Waves over New Hampshire/Vermont

So the article isn't talking about what you're talking about, gravity waves, it's talking about gravitational waves.

Second, the headline says they were detected, but the article explains that confirmation is yet to come, so I think to say gravitational waves are detected is OK, to say they are confirmed seems premature. I refer specifically to this paragraph in the article you cited:

Word of LIGO’s success was met by hosannas in the scientific community, albeit with the requisite admonishments of the need for confirmation or replication.
So the reason people are talking about the need for confirmation is because confirmation is needed, right? That was my point.

But it's a good article so thanks for posting it and bringing it to our attention, starred and flagged the OP.

edit on 2016219 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I do enjoy your skepticism.

I have been trying to wrap my head around what they have detected as I am rather suspicious of the theory of black holes. Confirmation of these detections and some understanding of their implications would sure help quell these suspicions.

LIGO Hanford, WA is offering tours to celebrate their discovery.

LIGO Livingston, LA also offers tours.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join