It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravitational Waves Detected, Confirming Einstein’s Theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

A team of physicists who can now count themselves as astronomers announced on Thursday that they had heard and recorded the sound of two black holes colliding a billion light-years away, a fleeting chirp that fulfilled the last prophecy of Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

That faint rising tone, physicists say, is the first direct evidence of gravitational waves, the ripples in the fabric of space-time that Einstein predicted a century ago (Listen to it here.). And it is a ringing (pun intended) confirmation of the nature of black holes, the bottomless gravitational pits from which not even light can escape, which were the most foreboding (and unwelcome) part of his theory.

It was already on the horizon but gravity waves are confirmed.

Quite a historic discovery.

It will be interesting to see to what new knowledge and technology this will lead, and how fast.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DutchMasterChief

Thats pretty cool.

Imagine if we ever detect a returning wave or, like an echo on a sonar of sorts, that allows us to map a barrier to the universe...

S&F
edit on 2 11 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I wonder if this means that gravitons exist too.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Although I cant confirm it , I think I may have heard the same thing last week while pausing from shovelling all of this global warming I found in my yard :>)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

One step closer to a true working hoverboard!

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Amazing, now to find a proper site or scientific article/journal on gravitational waves to gain understanding.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
In layman's terms, does this really change anything or advance our technology in any way? Or is it just a small discovery that doesn't really advance us in any meaningful way? I know all discoveries move us forward, but I think they're making a bigger deal out of this than it is. Yes, no?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The most interesting theory I've ever come across as explanation of the Hum was gravitational waves. I wonder if that can now be determined....

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
In layman's terms, does this really change anything or advance our technology in any way? Or is it just a small discovery that doesn't really advance us in any meaningful way? I know all discoveries move us forward, but I think they're making a bigger deal out of this than it is. Yes, no?

Yes, we will see huge advances in science because of this. The major concern was that they would not be able to detect anything without a super huge interferometer, like one the size of our solar system. Luckily this one was just big enough to detect g-waves.

Now that we know they can be detected; better, smaller, faster g-wave interferometers will be created and used on telescopes to probe into places where light doesn't exists or can't escape. I imagine one day we will be able to see inside a black hole using this method.

I also imagine we will eventually have cameras that can show g-waves in realtime that will be used by our advanced space craft to navigate eddies in spacetime.

Lastly, we will discover how to create our own g-waves that can be used for; propulsion, medical, communication, ect...

The list goes on and on.

TLDR; this is the first step in discovering how to control gravity.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

Yes, we will see huge advances in science because of this. The major concern was that they would not be able to detect anything without a super huge interferometer, like one the size of our solar system. Luckily this one was just big enough to detect g-waves.

Now that we know they can be detected; better, smaller, faster g-wave interferometers will be created and used on telescopes to probe into places where light doesn't exists or can't escape. I imagine one day we will be able to see inside a black hole using this method.

I also imagine we will eventually have cameras that can show g-waves in realtime that will be used by our advanced space craft to navigate eddies in spacetime.

Lastly, we will discover how to create our own g-waves that can be used for; propulsion, medical, communication, ect...

The list goes on and on.

TLDR; this is the first step in discovering how to control gravity.

Thanks! That helps me understand it much better! Cheers!

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
So, can we bring back the Bob Lazar topic now?

He's been mumbling about Gravitation Wave A and B for quite sometime now lol...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is interesting news.

Here are a couple of questions that pop into my mind, reading about this discovery.

Firstly,are gravity and gravitational waves the same thing, or are they different? I was reading that gravitational waves travel at the speed of light. So does that make them a form of light? If not, how can they travel at the speed of light?

If they do indeed travel at such a slow speed (fast, but when compared to the universe as a whole, very very slow) how can galaxies such as the Milky Way keep from falling apart, it is over 100,000 light years across.

I always understood that gravity affects everything everywhere at the same time. That it does not take time for it to travel, but its effects on the universe are instantaneous. So I am guessing gravitational waves are a different thing from gravity itself.

Anyone can enlighten me on these things? Please. Thank you.
edit on 11-2-2016 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

This is big.

Confirmation of gravity waves could help physicist understand the graviton. Next they have to confirm the existence of the graviton and maybe a way to create them in a particle accelerator. Maybe we can manipulate gravitons and create our own gravity waves.

en.wikipedia.org...

Antigravity here we come!

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
As the article explains, gravitational waves were first allegedly detected in 1969 by Joseph Weber, but our belief now is that it probably wasn't a real detection, so, keep that in mind with this announcement. If real, it's truly an advancement, but if further research puts it in the same basket with the Weber announcement in 1969, it's another false alarm.

Thanks! That helps me understand it much better! Cheers!
Seriously? Do you believe anything anybody tells you? As far as I can tell the poster that "helped you understand it much better" doesn't know much about the topic. There is really nothing about this discovery that suggests anything he said is true.

Here's something much more factual from the OP article:

power 50 times greater than the output of all the stars in the universe combined vibrated a pair of L-shaped antennas in Washington State and Louisiana known as LIGO on Sept. 14.
So it took 50 times more than the power output of all the stars in the universe to create a barely detectable little blip on our detector, and someone tells you that "Lastly, we will discover how to create our own g-waves that can be used for; propulsion, medical, communication, ect... " and you think this helps you understand the topic better? Do you have any idea how big the LIGO detector is to detect this power output 50 times greater than the output of all the stars in the universe?

Sure you create G-waves every time you spin around your dance partner, but how much power do you think that has? Anywhere near 50 times the power output of all the stars in the universe? No, I didn't think so, so yes we can create g-waves but no they are unlikely to be measurable if created by current human-scale technology.

originally posted by: truthseeker84
So, can we bring back the Bob Lazar topic now?

He's been mumbling about Gravitation Wave A and B for quite sometime now lol...
I listened to what he said, it's a mixture of truth and nonsense.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I heard an astronomer talk about this and he explained it this way (Obviously, I'm paraphrasing):

It's like you look out the window and see kids playing, but you can only see two kids. With this discovery astronomers (parents) will be able to look out the window and see all ten kids playing, including what they are doing. And if what they are doing requires some quick parental intervention to restrain them, now it can be done.

I'm not sure I quite get it either, but it sounds like a big deal, yes. Not inconsequential.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

It might all go to a Chinese component of the apparatus they used to try and detect something ....Seems more likely they detected something and that something was something other then gravity ....A wave they say and travelling at what speed .???? is there a speed associated with gravity other then the or a rate of fall ? .....I am sure I am missing a very large part of what these people making the claims and probably needed to make some kind of a announcement for other reasons then a discovery . If true then I could imagine the information being of a nature as being a threat to National Security . Heck I am sure even Hillary doesn't have bigger information on her Emails then what this might confirm or suggest .

Oh here you go North Korea have a recipe for gravity and see how you can use it , in a peaceful way of course ...Science seems to be borderline fiction not only in what it might suggest but also in the way they parade it out to the public .

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Gravity is a mysterious force, its so weak that a magnet can override its strength, but so strong that it holds galaxies together. So a better understanding of gravity will be a leap forward for the ultimate goal of science, a theory of everything (TOE). Of cause it will be just one small step that could take many thousands of years to complete.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Gravity does not even exist. Matter itself can be scaled down infinitely. When you smash sub-atomic particles together it rapidly decays the energy contained within. When the mass recombines, it's sending out all sorts of wave lengths from the remnants. Matter is constantly spewing connecting and repelling forces called such as the positive negative and neutral forces. When you have a quantum implosion occur when all the mass must be rapidly compressed after exploding all the matter within the infinite scaling re-arranges to pair with its closest relative partner. Even *quarks* and sub quarks have their original wavelengths reset. Just like how Atoms have a capacity to carry only a certain amount of Ions, The ions themselves are drawn by its magnetic pair forcing itself to align and carry along the discharging wave lengths. If there are already masses of fragments occupying those wave lengths then it will have few attracting and repelling wave lengths to share charges with. Similarly, when you disengage the current wave lengths bonding with its partners, such as rapidly colliding matter. Then the infinitely small scaling sequences within the sub-atomic particles themselves also disengage with each other. Which means there would be far more matter attempting to engage with each other because stability is lost and more slots become temporarily available.

The problem with smashing particles together is that they more often than not because highly unstable and rapidly deteriorate from stability. and so seemingly become non-existent. Power is only generated in the fact that the internal energy itself is expired to a degree. These *gravitational waves* detected by rapidly expiring matters core energy level is only the cause and effect of what i explained in the paragraph above. Matter attempting to recombine in the infinitely scaling of smaller and smaller objects that are rapidly separated from their partner.

edit on pm20000002916Thu, 11 Feb 2016 21:03:06 -0600 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: amazing

Gravity is a mysterious force, its so weak that a magnet can override its strength, but so strong that it holds galaxies together. So a better understanding of gravity will be a leap forward for the ultimate goal of science, a theory of everything (TOE). Of cause it will be just one small step that could take many thousands of years to complete.

Gravity is caused by the over abaundance of forces regardless of which force it is. All matter contains 3 basic principals of Negative Neutral and Positive and these forces will act differently depending on what combining matter is made of.

Collectively the planet is full of dirt minerals and ores that are all spewing varying degrees of these 3 forces. And the greater the amount of these forces that send wave lengths the stronger *gravity* is.

Even if the forces generated by Earth in its dust and dirt is rather low, when scaling to the whole planet it becomes quite significant.

That's why a magnet will override the force of the planets dirt in close proximity but as you pull metal away from the magnetic the pull coming from the earths total mass and the forces ejected by each individual piece of dirt is going to tug the metal towards to ground and the magnetism of the magnet will seem to diminish.

However if you have something that is hyper condensed it does not necessarily mean that greater tiers of density will increase the *gravity* because gravity is a catch all word to describe the attraction properties of the natural forces negative positive and neutral. A truly compressed object with extreme density itself can generate zero exterior force if all the infinitely scaling matter is holding itself together. To the point where nothing can orbit or budge. Such as the case of Dark energy and dark matter. Where an object is so tightly compressed it would have zero empty space. With its interior pulling at itself, with all the individually compressed fragments on this one particle occupying all of its capacity to release wave lengths to attract nearby matter. Which in of itself, takes up empty space and only interacts with physical mass by physically pushing it. Similar to a boat being pushed by the movement of water. It is its overabundance and the presence of currents in space that push it.

But i'm not a physicist. And i doubt a physicist would accept any of these theories because they contradict everything they have been taught.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DutchMasterChief

A team of physicists who can now count themselves as astronomers announced on Thursday that they had heard and recorded the sound of two black holes colliding a billion light-years away, a fleeting chirp that fulfilled the last prophecy of Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

That faint rising tone, physicists say, is the first direct evidence of gravitational waves, the ripples in the fabric of space-time that Einstein predicted a century ago (Listen to it here.). And it is a ringing (pun intended) confirmation of the nature of black holes, the bottomless gravitational pits from which not even light can escape, which were the most foreboding (and unwelcome) part of his theory.

It was already on the horizon but gravity waves are confirmed.

Quite a historic discovery.

It will be interesting to see to what new knowledge and technology this will lead, and how fast.

About 30 years ago I watched a program on TV in Australia where this scientist was discussing gravity waves but he was not even sure what they were.

Some years later I read an account of a some bloke who for reasons I cant remember now, nor the reasons of how and why he found himself under the ice of the Antarctic in this alien facility. He was shown around the place a bit and he saw them mining something (packing black balls off a conveyor)

I forget the explanation he was given as to the purpose now, but it meant little to him although he was concerned that the earth resources were being used by someone else and that we might need them ourselves one day.

Anyway, he went into another part of the facility and they told him they were harvesting gravity waves but he did not understand anything about the explanation they gave him regarding what it was or how or why they were harvesting it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join