It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your hobbies?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Wondering what you all do when you're not here. Perhaps something will pique my interest and I can find a new hobby!

I guess I'll share some of mine to kick it off. Pretty lame and mundane.

-Hiking/walking. I really like getting out with my dog and either going for a hike, or just walking around the neighborhood. The more I walk, the better I feel. I thought that was a bunch of BS when I started, but it's really had a positive impact on my life. Even just walking around the neighborhood, I feel awesome afterwards, have more energy and notice all these little things I don't when I drive. Being out in the woods feels so right, I used to backpack and it reminds me of really good times with my Dad.

-Shooting. I don't go as often as I used to, but I really love going to the gun range and blasting away for an hour. It's strangely cathartic, I get a little zen.

-Working on the house/gardening. Adding value to the property, learning new skills, making my environment more comfortable! It's so easy to make drastic changes to your living area now with YouTube. Slap in some paint and crown molding, rip out some drywall, transform your place. It's incredibly satisfying to update the house, and getting compliments from the neighbors on how much the yard has improved since I've been here is a wonderful feeling. Most of my neighbors are rather old and have lived here for 30+ years, so having them come over just to say "You've been doing an amazing job." is a huge compliment.

-Jiu jitsu. I started this awhile ago after being away from martial arts for a long time. It's a real confidence booster, it's awesome for networking and it is a very thorough workout. 30 minutes calisthenics, 1 hour learning new moves, 1 hour free rolling a few times a week and you'll notice some pretty drastic changes. If you're willingly going and getting your ass kicked, rolling around all sweaty with another person that's all sweaty, and dealing with being severely uncomfortable for a few hours weekly, pretty much all other social interactions seem easier, less embarrassing.

-Reading. I've always been a big reader. I think my parents kicked this off. They read to me for at least an hour every night, and I was always being handed books when I was a kid. I love it, I get super into books, feels like I'm actually in them. I bail on one every once in awhile if I just can't stand the writing. I can't sleep without reading for an hour or two.

-Photography. My lady friend and her family got me into this. Love it. I don't have the same natural eye for it that some people do, but I'm getting better. I love being able to capture a moment, and sometimes I can capture a feeling. Like when the sun is going down and the trees get that certain gorgeous golden hue. There's an insane amount to learn, and the sort of meld of artistic and nerdy appeals to me. Also a great excuse for some mini road trips. Some of my favorites are derelict buildings surrounded by nothing.

-Exercising. I built myself a little home gym awhile back in a spare bedroom that wasn't being used for anything. Got an exercise bike, slapped a flatscreen on the wall, got a rack for free weights and a workout bench, popped in a chin up bar, speed bag, dip thing that I use for suspended leg raises. Rejoined the gym when I decided I wanted to start doing SL 5x5 and realized I don't have enough room for a power rack. Feels good man.

-Cooking. I'm trying to drop about 25 pounds of complacency/alcohol. You can't outrun/exercise your fork/cup. I was into cooking for awhile, kinda quit doing anything interesting and now am back into it but with a healthier twist. I've been pretty lucky, I was ordering out at least 3 times a week and just mowing through pizzas, Chinese food and Gyros for over a year and probably should weigh a substantial amount more. Now I'm spending some time making delicious and healthy meals (soooooooooo much cheaper). I'm looking forward to cobbling together a vegetable garden and cooking what I grow. I'm all about the broccoli and chicken, but I'm mixing it up. You cook asparagus right and it's better than french fries.

-Working on the cars. I've always been wrench happy. I don't get a ton of opportunity to work on the newer car (I think she's about 3), but I have a lot to do to my old Jeep. I have this idea of the perfect camping rig.

-I doubt this really counts, but I really dig going with the lady friend to thrift shops and antique stores that are really out of the way. So take a day and cruise out and ransack these places. The more run down the better. Fits with the photography, and also the cooking. Love farmer's markets and you find the best ones when you're further away from the city and closer to amazing photo opportunities.

-Fishing. I've got a little lake that's a quick jaunt from my house (I should just walk there). I don't catch much out of it, but that's not the point. It's like gambling and meditation at the same time. There are a few places I drive up to on occasion. Rent a boat, spend enough time to turn into a lobster, throw back pretty much everything.

There are a few more, but I'd love to hear about yours.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

My list of hobbies was longer a year ago than it is today. Many of the things that I used to do a year ago, are either too physically demanding, or require too much concentration. I have had some of my spare reserves of both ground down by events, and so I have not been connecting as often, or in some cases at all, with my prior hobby list. It's been some time since I last went for a walk, or read a book, or sat and played my bass guitar for hours.

At the moment, I spend most of my free time finding something to kill on a computer game, just churning through sprites like Rambo and Robocop had a bizarre love child and made it a hairy one. Catharsis. Catharsis is my hobby at the moment. To be honest, it worries me quite a lot, and I know I need to get my mojo back, but there are certain factors playing into my state of mind at the moment, which are not conducive to finding my way there. I will, but it will take more energy than I have spare at the moment.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   

love the thrift shop image

-fishing (I caught two blow fishes with a ball of bread) best experience ever
-Internet
-getting to know why people think the way they do
-I used to build a doll house (wish I didn't trash it)

Thank you for the thread

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Shooting, archery, reading, writing, and fishing are a few. I also like camping, just not when it's winter or fall lol. There's more but I'd be here all night.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

You have 48 hour days where you live?😄

Mine in order of time spent:

Diablo3
Weightlifting(+eating 4K calories,+sleeping)
Reading
Mountainbiking(Downhill,Freeride,Enduro,Dirtjump,Pumptrack)
Jogging.

edit on 8-2-2016 by Ericthedoubter because: Thought I'd missed out a ")",but I hadn't.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Live music, there is a vibrant music scene here. Table wargames, musket and tomahawk set during French Indian war and Bolt action set during ww2. Countryside cruise, I live on the edge of the Fleurieu peninsular wine region.

These things and life in general shall cease to exist once virtual reality units are released later this year.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

I have a lucrative small business repairing, oiling and winding deathwatch beetles and supplying waxed coffin worms for the discerning deceased.

The time travel thing is just a hobby.

edit on 8/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

What's going on? That sounds like depression. I've had a few crappy conversations with that SOB.

If that's it, do me a favor, get out of your head and go for a walk. Slap on some headphones and set up 30 minutes of awesome soundtrack. Walk for 15 minutes, then head back home. Do it twice the first week (if that's all you can stand), then do it three times, then add a few minutes for each walk. I'm in Seattle man, I know the dark and gloom. You need those minutes outside though, even if it looks like sh#$.

I bet you you'll be feeling better probably (begrudgingly) after your 3rd walk.

My motivation for walking was my dog. Some asshole started poisoning the local dog parks. My dude needs exercise, and the back yard isn't enough. So now we walk. I went from hating one mile to loving 3.

I throw on some talk radio, get mad at it, and 2-3 miles is nothing. I do OK with music, but I do better with talking that I can tune out, and then I zone out and walking turns fun. Audiobooks are pretty hit or miss. Find your workout distraction, use it, feel better.

Is it a girl? I get the impression you're a romantic but don't do well with the ladies because you have impossible standards. You're a good guy, you're a smart guy, have you ever considered getting a little superficial? Chop off the hair? You're a handsome dude, but it seems like you're super stubborn and the long hair and beard aren't winning you any favors. You don't need to meet a chick that's into your look (it's a look, it's superficial) to be happy. Change it, I bet you find a girl that's got the same values and will love your music.

Screw being sad. Get back into your hobbies.

I love you man. I'd really like to hang out with you some day.
edit on 0820160220161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Heh... No, it's not really a lady problem. Not having a lady in my life is not such a terrible thing that I could not connect with my life.

I had a big upheaval, and a legal dispute, not to mention a massive assault on my character last year, and although I am no longer under assault, I think it's taken a bit of a toll. You are right though, I should just get out and do it!

Get some Pantera on, and just Walk!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   

I had a big upheaval, and a legal dispute, not to mention a massive assault on my character last year, and although I am no longer under assault, I think it's taken a bit of a toll.

I remember that. I was so pissed.

One thing that should never be questioned is you character. You're an awesome guy, incredibly solid and one of my favorite people (online at least).

You are right though, I should just get out and do it!

Man go for a walk! I hated it, I felt embarrassed. Just take that first step, take a few more, and you're back home and proud of yourself in no time. Then it gets fun. It's hard not to do a little happy dance with the border collie dog dog (you gotta say dog dog) when there are no cars.

Are you talking to someone? One of the hardest things and best things I've ever done was walking through that therapists door.

I'll check out some Pantera right now. K, Googled, It's 1:32 and I want to go drive the balls off my car and lift!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Working and sitting on my arse...

I gotta get out more...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Family history.
When my elder sister died some years ago, by default, I became the keeper of the family records. Since I am trained in archiving and curating historical documents, it seemed reasonable. This family archive dates back to the mid-19th century. My sister had begun the process of putting the jumbled messes she had inherited from various ancestors into some semblance of order. I've spent the past three years carrying on with that process. I still have three large bankers' boxes in the corner of the study to tackle before Spring arrives.
This cataloging and curating process led me to be interested in more than the simple genealogy of the family, prompted me to seek to know more of their stories. Contained in those boxes are reams of correspondence which tell of their daily lives.
With the tools now available on the net, the prospects for research are unlimited.
Through the process I've met (on-line) and connected with (by phone and in person) at least a dozen relatives that I never knew existed in my own family and at least half a dozen of my Beloved's family. It's been a barrel of fun!
I find my choices of reading materials influenced by whatever period of history I'm studying in my family's archives.
Like you, I enjoy thrift shops so I watch carefully for old books of regional interest about historic events or people to fill in the gaps that personal correspondence leaves.

edit on 8-2-2016 by diggindirt because: correction

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

I remember a bit ago, when I used to just take it into my head to wake up, get showered, get dressed, pack a bag for the afternoon, and wander off into the countryside. Although Essex is not the most rural of places, there are plenty of locations which offer a person an escape from the concrete nightmare of modern life, and I used to hike 20k for fun, through the woods and fields on the outer edges of our borough.

I need to get it done. Get the town back under my feet, get used to letting the universe flow over, around, and through me again.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

When my elder sister died some years ago

I'm really sorry. I'm an only child, so I can't even begin to imagine how hard that was.

Since I am trained in archiving and curating historical documents, it seemed reasonable. This family archive dates back to the mid-19th century. My sister had begun the process of putting the jumbled messes she had inherited from various ancestors into some semblance of order. I've spent the past three years carrying on with that process.

That's really cool, and I feel like a perfect way to honor her.

I know a ton of history on one side, but I'd really like to learn more about the other.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I need to get it done. Get the town back under my feet, get used to letting the universe flow over, around, and through me again.

What a good way to say it.

You're a good soul, ever thought about getting a dog? It's self charity. You save a pup, you get a new workout partner. I've got a big back yard (heh shudup) but my boy needs exercise. Gets me out of the house when I don't want to walk. Dog will train you. Sitting on the couch and a boy shows up. Looks at you. You don't want to hit the road, but you owe him. 2 miles later you get home, your dog loves you more, you feel better, and you start your day already prepped.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Sounds like a great plan, and I love animals, but I live with my mother. If it was up to me, I would have a cat or dog (and I must say, that I really love cats, and I wish I could have one) but mother is allergic to the hair. Since I am utterly without funds to secure myself independent dwelling space, I shall have to wait to get a little creature friend, until I live alone.

Could be a long time.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
In reality my sister's death was a truly blessed event. She was suffering from dementia, early stages but well into the stage that she recognized her plight. She could not prepare a meal without supervision. She was beginning to suffer depression as a result of her deteriorating brain functions. She prayed for death to come swiftly. She did not want to be a burden. Her life was doing for others, the thought of being reduced to total dependence dismayed her.
On the morning of June 7, 2011, her prayers were answered. She complained of weakness, the ambulance was called, her last words were to her husband as she was being wheeled away, "I love you and I'll see you at the hospital." By the time she loaded into the ambulance she was dead, free from fears, leaving the earth after 80 years of loving and being loved.
I miss her terribly. She was the best sister a girl could have. Without her help and encouragement after she began her decline I'm not sure I would have been able to take on such a task. She was trained as a librarian so she did a crack job of the archiving for reference. But she was never into computers so it is up to me to digitize and distribute the archive and curate the physical artifacts.
My next project is a large box of family letters exchanged during WWII. It contains the correspondence of five different families. Two of my mother's brothers were overseas and their letters home to my grandmother, mother, sister, and various aunts and uncles are in that file. So I'll probably be reading other accounts of that time period in my leisure time.
We love taking road trips or "afternoon drives" to check out places we find mentioned. Even to cemeteries, sometimes to photograph gravestones, or to carefully clean them. The Find-A-Grave site gives me a chance to help out folks who need photos of gravestones in my area. Like you, I enjoy photography, especially in the digital age! I'm from the film age when shooting 100 pictures in one day was a professional photographer 'cause only they could afford that much film and processing.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Oh wow
That was sooo beautiful.. Thank you for sharing that

All of you.. actually it's very calming reading all the posts
(Sorry to jump in)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Walking in the woods,fishing,hitchhiking"chillin"model car building..Heh,in fact UPS will be delivering one today.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Hiking, mountain biking, scuba diving, reading, cooking and working on our Victorian house.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join