It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software question: property boundaries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone has any idea if there is a software out there that has access to property boundary lines?
Im trying to get a side business rolling doing aerial, drone surveys. so far i am the only one in my city offering this type of service, so establishing my place in this market is key right now. I have done quite a few so far from just cold emailing people selling properies around town and word of mouth.
Almost Everytime though, ive had to get them to give me a copy of an old survey.
I found a program called COSINE on the net. It is the ministry of transportations hiway control point data base,mits been able to assist a more than a couple times. But the main Problem is, 11 out of the 16 aerial surveys ive done so far have been well off any hi-way.
So i was stuck asking for the location of the property stakes, or a copy of an old survey.

Does anyone have any idea of a program that shows lat and lon or wgs, coordinates of property boundaries?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And if your wondering why someone would want a new survey done when they already have one...
There are regulations that outline if a person wants to build certain structures - fences, sheds, garages, a house,
They must get the property resurveyed.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
oh....hello (nick kroll joke)

im a real estate developer in northeasterm massachusetts and for property maps i usually use patriot properties www.patriotproperties.com...

its a property assessment software utilized by a lot of Mass cities and towns by the tax assessors office. its accurate and up to date.

i believe most cities/towns in most states would have their own GIS data tax assessment maps available through the tax assessors office on the .gov website for that city/town

im very interested in your work im an rc pilot myself. helis, quadcopters, tris, hexes and planes. if you dont mind a nerd inquiring, what type of setup are you using (frame, camera gear etc.)

edit on 2-2-2016 by sethwyeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: sethwyeth

Hello seth,
Thanks for the reply.
I have been flying for years now. Started with my local hobby shops, blade products. Every month i would buy a bigger one. Before long i had a bunch of different helis and quads. So i invested in a good transmitter and got a spectrum dx8. Then i started building my own quads. Just using the hobby shop to get my parts and what not
3 months ago i purchased a phantom 3 professional. Then i bought a software called pix4d. Its a photogrammetry program. Allows me to create 3d models from pictures.
So basically i send the phantom up, get it to fly a zig zag like pattern over the property im surveying.
Taking 3 pictures every 5 seconds. the software combines all those pics to make a big interactive 3d model. I can make maps, calculate volumes of cut or fill or stock piles, calc. Distances.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It was very expensive - $4700 can for a year license. But worth every penny. i made more than that back in 2 surveys. And The drone pays for itself everytime i send it up.
I teamed up with a realtor who gets me to do some aerial photos or a 1 minute video of the houses hes selling. He then hooked me up with his coworkers as well.
So things are really picking up fast. And like i mentioned, i am the only one in my city doing this service.
I only do it on the weekends when im home from work. But if i start making more by doing this than i do being a mine engineer, then i will consider quitting my job and focus solely on aerial imagery. I love my job, but i love making money with my hobby more lol. i make pretty good living at the mine. So i would have to turn this into at least a $200k/year hobby to entice me enough to risk quitting.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

i started out in helis with blade products as well, i beat up and rebuild a blade cp countless times then regressed to a coaxial im stubborn like that. before finally moving up to MinAir gassers. i always liked the spektrum transmitters and had a dx7 until i got my Hitec Aurora 9x which i love.

so you mentioned canadian currency i take it you are our northern neighbor!

so i actually have more questions but im interested if you are near the east coast? our corporation is just north of boston, mass its possible we could give eachother some business if you are interested. email me [email protected]

if you arent local i would be curious as to how you charge clients if you dont mind sharing your secrets and hard work, assuming you dont operate down here i would really appreciate a helping hand to start something similar down here .

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
my current quad frame is a team black sheep discovery with a gopro 3 axis gimbal. i fly mostly line of sight for video and pictures but i do have an fpv transmitter rig i bust out now and again for friends.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: sethwyeth
Hey Seth.
Yup im in canada now. Originally from Windsor then moved across the river to detroit. Now im living in thunder bay ontario.
I never had the chance to try gas helis. But i seen how fast they go and it's impressive.
So my side business consits of doing aerial photos and surveys. For photos i charge $200 dollars for 25 minutes of flight, with a 3 photos being taken every 5 seconds. the client can have what ever they want shot during that time. If no specifics i just fly a grid pattern taking timed shots. If the client wants video i charge $100 a minute for the raw footage. If they want edited the price goes up depending on their needs. For surveys i do the same thing but then import those photos into my pix4d software. Its a photogrammetry software,mthere are a few on the market but in my opinion you get what you pay for. Pix is prob the most expensive, but their support team is awesome. If i have a question i get it answered asap. They are great. The program is very user friendly. It holds your hand through everything. So an average survey in my city goes for 12-15k.
I charge differently. depending on location, ease of access to the area, travel time.mand how detailed of a document they need. My base surveys go for $1500. for the works so to speak, i charge 5k.

Im still trying to get my name out there as the go to person for aerial imagery.
Like i mentioned above, if i can at least match what i make here at the mine, then it might entice me enough to focus soley on surveying and aerial imagery.

top topics

join