It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery illness spread through plane mid-flight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'm curious
why they didn't divert to Iceland
instead of heading all the way back to England...

Zaphod58

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I also thought you need at least 6 hrs for Bacillus cereus, but have now found it depends which type of effects it causes. Viz eg this article on the University of Nebraska UNL-Food site:

Bacillus cereus can cause two distinct types of illnesses: 1) a diarrheal illness with an incubation time of approximately 10 to 16 hours, and 2) an emetic (vomiting) illness with an incubation time of one to six hours.

Symptoms include:

Abdominal cramps
Watery diarrhea
Nausea
Vomiting

Onset time:

Type 1: 10-16 hours
Type 2: 1-6 hours

So, it's not impossible to have effects from Bacillus cereus within a very short time frame. Even just an hour.

Scary stuff, that.

However, as the crew apparently became ill first, the above would probably only apply as a possible source if they had the same food as the passengers, but ate earlier. And also, the reports talk of "equilibrium problems", which I don't take as an obvious euphemism for vomiting per se.

The only positive I take from this story at present is that it doesn't appear both pilots were disabled by whatever-it-was -- at least, not to an extent that rendered them incapable of flying the plane.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

These are things the PTB wouldn't want the general population to know. I rather doubt they'll report this in the MSM, it would too much scare the flying public.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

These are things the PTB wouldn't want the general population to know. I rather doubt they'll report this in the MSM, it would too much scare the flying public.

I'll bet you are wrong.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
One of the crew reported an "electrical" or burning smell just before. Again, consistent with a bleed air leak. American maintenance crews replaced all the air filters on the aircraft as a precaution.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Looks like the NYT is reporting on the bleed air leak - just as Zaphod predicted...

Although it remained unclear what had caused people on board to become ill, dizziness and loss of consciousness are among a range of symptoms that have been associated in the past with jet engine fumes leaking into the cabin.

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Volchitsa

...Maybe it could've been mass hysteria. You know, like how some people throw up when they see someone else throwing up and all that.

There's a different term for that: Barf-O-Rama

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Why do these things always happen to American airlines? I will never fly that airline ever again. Their company needs to be dismantled. I know for a fact that they are unable to do basic scheduling operations due to their unreliable computer systems. How much worse is their maintenance record?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SevenThunders

Old aircraft. Thanks to the merger with US Airways, their fleet age is down to 11.2 years, but they have aircraft anywhere from a year old (787) to almost 24 years old (MD-80/90). The 777 fleet averages 11.5 years.

They actually have a really good maintenance record. They contract a lot of work from other airlines, and perform their heavy checks for them.
edit on 1/28/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

My last flight with them was a disaster; late arrivals, missed connecting flights, wrong gate assignments, poor rescheduling, followed by another wrong gate assignment and a 12 hour hell flight. After missing the first connecting flight due to a late arrival, we nearly missed two others because we were told to go to the wrong gate!

Meanwhile I followed with keen interest of mishap after mishap all reported on American airlines flights. Either the company is snakebit, or they really have a logistics problem, probably due to poor management and excessive cost cutting. The merger was a complete disaster from my personal experience.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SevenThunders

They have been trying to cut costs as low as they could, without replacing the aircraft they needed to replace.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
It just happened again on a different American Airlines flight...

American Airlines forced to ground a plane for the second time after members of the crew and passengers on board suffered from a mystery illness

SOURCE

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join