It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangers of atheism -Sam Harris

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is the first time I watched this guy...Sam Harris. The subject name corresponds to the title of the video.

Though the video is rather old...uploaded in 2007...and I'm sure many ATS people know this guy...(and his ilk
)...please forgive if already posted.

I think Sam makes awful lot of sense...and he seems to be trying to marry a certain aspect of spirtuality with a contention of non belief in the divine.

I'm a new fan of the guy. His views and stances seem to perfectly sit with me.

The dangers of "atheism" are well explained in the video...and I totally got his point (yaaaaeeee me).

* disclaimer - the tile of the video might mislead some members into thinking this is a religious thread (atheists versus believers), but it isnt so. It really is more of a philosophical discussion, though I have no doubt the title itself will draw the usual crowd.

p.s. the video is 40 minutes long...so it takes some effort. Skip to 4:00 to avoid the announcer's speech.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

it would seem the video is not available. perhaps you could specify some points he made and explain why you sympathize.
edit on 25-1-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

it plays rather normaly for me...what do you mean ?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

im watching part two of the video right now (listening really) but im interested in what you agree with him on and why.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

it plays rather normaly for me...what do you mean ?
Here is a different link, I hope this is the same video.

Part 2

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

im watching part two of the video right now (listening really) but im interested in what you agree with him on and why.

part two ?

Is there a part two ?

anyway...as for points of interest. I wanted to avoid it in the beginning to avoid people debating me instead of the content.

But since you asked...two things that especially rang with me :

1. he declares himself as an "atheist"...yet he attempted to immerse himself into certain aspects of the spiritual path...in order to experience, which is what people of atheistic persuasion dont often do. And this is especially something that always bothered me about "atheism", even though I agree with it's points to a large degree.

2. he apptly addresses the issue of dangers of atheistic self proclamation in a way I havent really thought about. He argues we should move away from the label of "atheism"...though I'm not sure if it is possible anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

Thanks D...yes...its the same video. I havent been aware there is part 2.

Going to watch now.

edit:

ok...part 2 is Q&A.
edit on 25-1-2016 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

i have read that argument before. there are users around here who decry the folly of labeling an idea through its contrast. "non stamp collector" and the like. words are just symbols though, and studying etymology shows you how easily hijacked any symbol is. i imagine atheism will be just as easily diluted and repurposed as yule or samhain.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
he's a very clear speaker and forms thoughts with extreme care, he's my fav atheist speaker behind Hitchen's rhetoric.

not to mention he made Noam Chomsky look like a moral scrub. i listen to Sam weekly for hours and hours. he's my internal voice now.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

How can anyone be an atheist, what does it even mean? to eat an endless amount of hamburgers?

All are one in Yog sothoth.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I think it was about a week ago that I was first introduced to this guy in my last thread about Richard Dawkins, I guess this guy is pretty popular...

Im gonna have to make time to watch some of his stuff... the last video was 2+ hours, this seems a little more reasonable for a first timer

Thanks

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
...meanwhile, Islam... Sorry, had to say it.

This was really good, a lot of what he points out is spot on. I've said it before in here; Enlightenment is not bliss, it is a perpetual state of uncertainty, always vigilant and hyper-aware to new perspectives that is in itself akin to the dynamic reality of truth and nature.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Double post, wrong one. Ignore.
edit on 25-1-2016 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I usually agree with Sam on most things, but having watched this video previously, I don't this time. What he says makes some sense in an ideal world, where people look at things like this from a rational perspective. But the debate between theists and atheists is seldom rational for very long. If you don't believe in god, you are an atheist. Like it or not.

You might this video of interest as well...

edit on 1/25/2016 by Klassified because: add vid

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Atheists are being labeled by others. There are no atheists until you call them that. There are only people as they are born. Naked and atheist. And then the believers brainwash you when you are young into whatever they have been brainwashed to believe.
I can't watch that clip at the moment but I don't need to because there are no atheists. So whatever is being said is being said against humans in their natural form.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

i imagine atheism will be just as easily diluted and repurposed as yule or samhain.

I think It already is down that road. Irreversably so.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

...meanwhile, Islam... Sorry, had to say it.

Enlightenment is not bliss, it is a perpetual state of uncertainty, always vigilant and hyper-aware to new perspectives that is in itself akin to the dynamic reality of truth and nature.

I'm glad that you said that. I agree...but I have an issue around this...which I dont feel free to speak about here since it could go off topic...

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

But the debate between theists and atheists is seldom rational for very long. If you don't believe in god, you are an atheist. Like it or not.

Indeed Klass...I think he's a dreamer
Maybe to point here is...not to attach yourself to that label. No matter the what others call you. It would probably be a rather slow process and not finish in his lifetime.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

yea he's one of the few skeptics working with muslim to reform islam. he, and most of us know, islam is probably never going away completely, our best shot is to secularize it, modernize, then maybe, hopefully, ridicule it into banality. just like christianity.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Nothing is being said against the human in that natural form. He just argues nicely concerning that process of labeling and his desire to move away from it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join