It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's going on in Detroit tonight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
As long as I can remember, I've been watching the Detroit Red Wings play hockey. I probably haven't missed many games. Before tonight, I have never, that I remember, seen the arena at a home game so empty.

Is something going on in Detroit tonight. I know tickets can be pricey, and Detroit isn't booming, but again, I've never seen it this empty.

I've probably been to 40-60 Detroit games in my life, preseason to Stanley Cup, and every one was more or less solidly packed.

Now, I'm not concerned as a fan, merchandise sales alone could support the team; but as a conspiracy theorist I can't help but wonder about the lack of seats filled.

Any guesses? Anyone from Detroit to weigh in?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I'm watching on Fox Sports Detroit. It is empty, a bit more than normal. More than I would expect for a game against the Ducks. Nothing major going on in town that I'm aware of though.

Edit to add: Brain fart. Auto show maybe drawing people away?
edit on 1/23/2016 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Maybe people are worried about weather and I'm overthinking it. Who knows.

Detroit is just such an interesting city, somewhere I could really imagine a news cover up could go on.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Weather is great here right now. It was low 30s and sunny all day. So not sure that's it either.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Here in Cinci the weather forecast of 4"-6" dramatically impacted crowds and attendance at restaurants, schools, entertainment venues, etc. then we got a dusting less than an inch.

If Detroit being Detroit isn't enough to keep people away, I don't know what could.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm jealous...I really really am. I miss my Wings....

But considering how poorly they've performed over the past couple of weeks, I can totally understand why the stands are empty.

(One a side note, I'm watching the Stars-Avs game. Would rather watch the Wings...)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

They started good tonight, but have been playing catch up since half way through the first period.

Edit to add: Doesn't help that the refs put their whisked away. No call on Larkin and then too many men in the ice in a span of three minutes.

Also, I need to stop posting. Twice in two posts now the Ducks have scored...
edit on 1/23/2016 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The usual: Mugging, murders, mayhem, and a deficit.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Hey Im here in the D too...I'm thinking because of the last day of the Auto Show?
edit on 24-1-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

And the weather today so far is fantastic again!

The game was a bummer though. I really don't like the Ducks. And when did they switch to the wonky duck foot looking emblem?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I feel the same way about the Blues.... Kills me every time to see the Wings lose to them...

They have so much talent on the team but can't seem to connect (despite their early season streak). Makes me wonder if there are chemistry issues on the team?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Yeah, maybe the new coaching has to do with it. It makes me a bit happy to see Toronto not doing so hot, but I understand why Babcock wanted to go there.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Do yourself a favor and go to a sporting event in Detroit.
You will be pleasantly surprised to see that you will not get mugged or murdered there.
Couple miles in the wrong direction... maybe
Just like almost every other big city.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I hadn't watched many games since the auto show ended, and I think we were on an away stretch out west anyway, but the game tonight was a bit more normal in attendance. The upper bowl was pretty packed, while I'd say the lower was at about 75% full. So I'm sticking with the previous game mentioned as being low in attendance sure to the NAIAS.

As an aside, I picked a good game to be the first one to go to in the better part of two decades. Slow start, but into the second it really picked up!

new topics

top topics

join