It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Doesn’t Silicon Valley Hire Black Coders?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Shh, no one wants to acknowledge that.

I've worked quite a few jobs ranging from call centers to factories. It says ALOT when the black employees are the grunts (lowest on the corporate totem pole) and when you start to climb the ladder, that supposed diversity gets thrown out the window. And that's with 3 HBCU's in this state, they can find qualified people if they want to. The question is, DO they want to?

The answer is of course, no. Last thing some folks want is more competition for that job. There is a saying some folks have, "Want to know if the job pays well? Look to see whose working there"
edit on 21-1-2016 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Totally agree with everything in your post.

In addition , having people focus on their skin color instead of the other factors that likely contributed to their position. is a huge disservice to themselves and the community. They will never be able to fix the issue if they don't identify the real culprit.

edit on 53131America/ChicagoThu, 21 Jan 2016 10:53:52 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

Used to have yup the West Yorkshire police lowered the pass rate for certain minorities and whilst not exactly publicised it did become common knowledge. There was once an article on it a few years ago but can't find it now. Other than that nope just hearsay i suppose from people who have for example sat an exam for the ambulance service and discovered that 2 of the recruits from a minority group didn't actually have the right qualifications for the job. Word gets around..or the truth will out as they say

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

You hire the best man or woman for the job. Simple.

African Americans are great at sport-that is a fact. Should the Celtics hire a puny pasty white man to ensure racial equality? no-that's silly. If the Celtics want to win they'll sign the best players regardless of race.

Larry Bird, Neil Degrasse Tyson-both of those men are legends of their professions because of their skills despite the fact they are in an profession that is dominated by folk with a different skin color to theirs.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
No logic at all. Thinking has crawled to a stand still.
It's like the moment they realized they were equal, but still not succeeding as a culture, they found something else to call racism. You can't keep changing and broadening the definition of words.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Because these companies hire Indians to code in India for 9$ an hour.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Ok while we're whining. ... how many woman coders have they hired?

Sorry I finally had a bandwagon to jump on

edit on 1/21/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

Ok why we're whining. ... how many woman coders have they hired?

Thats another thing?

When I decided to go into Engineering school I never had anybody approach me or encourage me into computer engineering. I chose to go into that field because I loved it , I wanted to learn more and I knew it was going to be hot field of study. It was not because I got any special attention or encouragement.

Same thing with my wife, She decided to become an ER nurse because she loves it and wants to become a flight nurse and its a great field of study.

Why must there be a need to encourage MORE of ANYONE RACE OR SEX into any field of study?
I don't recall ever being told not become a nurse or my wife ever been told to not become an Engineer?

These are all Agenda driven B$ causes. Either we are all equal or we are not. On one hand the MSM says we are all equal , but then goes and treats everyone based on color and sex differently.

We need to try to stop quantifying everything into race and sex as if we ever want to be treated equally.

IMO I think this is all about diluting the workforce in hot fields under the guise of equality. The larger the employee pool the less negotiating hand the employees have.
edit on 23131America/ChicagoThu, 21 Jan 2016 11:23:06 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Now I see your point much better. I was born in pittsburgh. It's the epitome of hunters,bibles and bigotry. Every ethnic group has its own neighborhood. And those group worked in those areas only. So if anyone came into or out of these areas. It was frowned apon.

My mother wasn't having it. Packed up with my step dad in 79 And moved to southern California. Whidier, Sapolveda... predominantly mixed. The hilarity of it was.. being a bit deaf. The school decided I needed a special class to learn in.
So I was placed in an all Hispanic class. For 3 month. By Christmas they realized I was getting good with my Spanish (hispanic speech)... lol. So I was placed in a regular class and by then I got a good set of hearingaids. My class was mixed.
But that wasn't what I cared about. I just wanted friends to play with. I learned a lot about every culture. It was a BLESSING. I had real friends. I was at an age that I didn't give a thought about race.... and my friends helped me get rid of my Awful Pittsburgh accent. As well as my horrible lisp from being deaf. I was sad when we moved to Reno nv. But that's another thread involving very bad air quality in L.A. .

I feel hate is taught. Now living back in pittsburgh. (Worked as Firefighter/paramedic/RN) this line of work has a pretty good mix of us misfits.

But. I could do without the toothless Hicks outside this county. "They"... whom have never been threatened buy another ethnic group, still cling to their guns, useless bible because they can't qoet a line and make crap up and primitive ideology.
Thankfully I'm seeing Pittsburgh change with good schools and technology growing big here. Folks are moving here now. I see bunches of California plates ariving. Oregon, nevada,Washington and New Mexico.
So the BS is fading away. However i'm moving to the south. I'm sick of the winters here. 😀

edit on 21-1-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Why is it a racist thread?

You made it one. But carefully veil it, by opening it with "apparently, some people"… and. but "technically"…

I live here, I worked here, shared my experience, "back when", agreeing with you, that blacks weren't hired for engineering positions. My dad worked as an engineer at Lockheed, all white. I grew up in Silicon Valley, white middle class suburbia, didn't see my first black person until I was twelve. We had two black student at my hi school, all four years.

So it must be racism and no other logical reason?

Aww spit, play dumb. The real wealth and power in America is all white… to this day.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: Martin75

Ok why we're whining. ... how many woman coders have they hired?

Thats another thing?

When I decided to go into Engineering school I never had anybody approach me or encourage me into computer engineering. I chose to go into that field because I loved it , I wanted to learn more and I knew it was going to be hot field of study. It was not because I got any special attention or encouragement.

Same thing with my wife, She decided to become an ER nurse because she loves it and wants to become a flight nurse and its a great field of study.

Why must there be a need to encourage MORE of ANYONE RACE OR SEX into any field of study?
I don't recall ever being told not become a nurse or my wife ever been told to not become an Engineer?

These are all Agenda driven B$ causes. Either we are all equal or we are not. On one hand the MSM says we are all equal , but then goes and treats everyone based on color and sex differently.

We need to try to stop quantifying everything into race and sex as if we ever want to be treated equally.

IMO I think this is all about diluting the workforce in hot fields under the guise of equality. The larger the employee pool the less negotiating hand the employees have.

Diversity can be a good thing. Sometimes people don' t know about other opportunities if they've never been exposed to it. Also, companies can benefit from diversity of opinions.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Actually a lot of the power in the US is Jewish, and Italian.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

Well said… Affirmative Action?

***Language Warning***

edit on 21-1-2016 by intrptr because: spelling, additional

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Actually a lot of the power in the US is Jewish, and Italian.

And Silicon Valley is hiring different cultures today. California is probably the most culturally diverse state in the Union.

This country is a nation filled with immigrants.

Didn't know many of them sit on the board of Mega Corp, though. And increasingly , doesn't matter anymore about national borders, either. International mega corporations run the world pretty much.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The Squirrel Hill section of pittsburgh (known for the best greasy cheesy pizza). Is actually a strong Jewish community and is very welcoming of anyone. There are Rabbi's walking the streets, ready to be ask questions. And happy to teach you about their religion.

Go to Bloomfield aka little Italy and prepare to eat till you are ill.
But i'm seeing it mixed with jobs held by every human beings.

But again I emphasize working in Healthcare here. And Airport Fire. Everyone whom applies for work in this feild. Is given ample opprtunity. And hired if they qualify. I've seen plenty of young millenial's who felt owed lose out to my good golf/bowling and motorcycle partner Elliot. Elliot is black. In 6 years he made lieutenant before me. He's simply smarter and very good at taking test. And at 41 and 39. We enduldge in online PS4 Gaming after hours. His daughter kick my butt on GTA5.

Oh wait..😈

My 4 neices are mixed.
2 are in advanced classes and are not subject to the old ways here.
Aside from this thread. I go through life not giving it a thought on whom gets the better education or jobs.
Maybe i'm the problem..😦

edit on 21-1-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You made it one. But carefully veil it, by opening it with "apparently, some people"… and. but "technically"…

LOL so "apparently" and "technically" are new keywords for sneaky racism.

Come on ,you know you are grasping for straws with that argument . Either you didn't really read the Op or

Perhaps its you that might be racist and actually you that translated it yourself into a racist perspective , perhaps to fit your ideology? or is "Perhaps" racist too?

According to you and your logic a thread about the concern of current trends that appear to hinder the progress made to fight racism is racist?

Not to mention that you consider someone that views fighting racism as a positive thing as a racist, LOL? Perhaps you need to get rid off that chip on shoulder thats warping your perception of reality.

Yes this sounds very racist: Nothing worse than a racist who finds it a positive thing to fight racism.

I'm not white and I find the temptation to blame everything on color not only dangerous but unconstructive and damaging to all the efforts that have been made to fight racism.

apparently (oh wait thats a racist key word for you) , you find it racist to suggest that we stand together as humans and as one?

Is it time to have a black , white ,gay,straight,democrat,republican, million Human march to demonstrate to the establishments and politicians that we are no longer going to fall for their use of racism,sexuality, and politics so we can advance humanity?

edit on 06131America/ChicagoThu, 21 Jan 2016 13:06:52 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

According to you and your logic a thread about the concern of current trends that appear to hinder the progress made to fight racism is racist?

Everyone is created equal… what racism?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

You tell me, you are the one claiming racism?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Diversity can be a good thing. Sometimes people don' t know about other opportunities if they've never been exposed to it. Also, companies can benefit from diversity of opinions.

Absolutely, I just don't think thats what these efforts are truly about.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: intrptr

You tell me, you are the one claiming racism?

Sorry, the conversation ended when you called me a racist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join