It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition started over Trump's speech at ORU

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Interesting, a business associate and I were discussing this just the other day. ORU (Oral Roberts University) is a conservative & Christian college.

Trump and his vocabulary are not the "usual" at this universities campus. It will be interesting to see what happens between now and the Trump's visit into the Bible belt.

"This is a petition signed on behalf of the following Oral Roberts University student and faculty body to not allow Presidential Candidate Donald Trump from coming to ORU. We would like to make it clear that this petition is not due to political bias, but rather we feel offended by comments that Mr. Trump has made in the past. This is our home, an extremely diverse student body and we would like to keep it as unprejudice as possible."

L I N K

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
There is the argument for freedom of speech and I agree...
There is also the argument that it's their facilities and if they as a majority wish to ban him I also agree...

I side with neither in the face of such a dilemma.

But wait...

We would like to make it clear that this petition is not due to political bias.

This is a complete lie though.

& on that note I change my mind.
I don't support this petition.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

No, I wouldn't say it's due to political bias. They most likely agree with quite a few of Trump's political positions, but I would say it's due to political correctness - they just can't stand to hear Trump express his views which they ironically mostly agree with in politically incorrect ways.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Very well put Charles. I don't think ( since it involves a lot of $$$ ) that the students 'opinion' hold much water. It is the bible belt...

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I am unable, so far, to find the number of signatures collected.

I DID find this though...

One person noticed that there seems to be opposition to Trump all over the world. In response this person created a petition to have NASA send Trump into space. This is one of the funnier, but less realistic petitions. However, this petition has still gained some serious support. Since it began just three days ago, this petition has garnered almost 35,000 signatures.

Which I thought was hysterical!

ORU NEWS

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

File that one right next to the one to build the Death Star.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Everything has a political bias nowadays IMO.
They could have left that part out and just said they were offended if it's "PC".

They clearly stated they are a diverse group, alluding to Trump's political stances on Muslims & Immigration in general.

What are they trying to say, that they reject signatures on the basis of politics and only reserve a slot for those offended?
That's hogwash.
edit on 17-1-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Yeah, ultimately it'll be down to whether those above the students, the delegation or committee that oversee these petitions that will decide.

It's just posturing to be honest.

They could just protest the event, or not turn up.

If anything they're giving him publicity to people who would have been none the wiser to this gathering.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The author of the petition is offended by "comments" that Donald Trump has made (without defining which ones these are).

I am offended by this student's inability to craft a reasonably grammatically correct petition...and what that suggests about the quality of education at ORU (or, perhaps more correctly, their admission standards).

That aside, the Donald does tend to use off-colour language during his rallies...which I am sure would not go over well with this crowd.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes!
But, they responded to that one...
I didn't find a response to sending the Donald into space, yet.

Maybe they haven't come to a conclusion?
Just kidding!

Responses

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Trump should just tell those whiney little ***** to **** off and buy ORU and turn it into a college for narcissist and self loving ego maniacs!!! That'll show em!

All this Christian PC BS has got to go!!!

edit on 17-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

to not allow Presidential Candidate Donald Trump from coming to ORU.

I'm guessing not an English major.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I am sure he will be filled with *** ** **

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Oh the poor ORU students and faculty people might have gotten their "Feelings" hurt. Whannnnnnn! The students, and faculty need to grow up. In the real world that is not PC feelings get hurt sometimes. Live with it. Besides the state of Oklahoma is the only state that voted 100% Republican in the last election. So I am pretty sure Donald will make a trip or two to OKC or Tulsa sometime in the next 11 months.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

This is our home, an extremely diverse student body

That part cracked me up. Extremely diverse? At Oral Roberts?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I am unable, so far, to find the number of signatures collected.

I DID find this though...

One person noticed that there seems to be opposition to Trump all over the world. In response this person created a petition to have NASA send Trump into space. This is one of the funnier, but less realistic petitions. However, this petition has still gained some serious support. Since it began just three days ago, this petition has garnered almost 35,000 signatures.

Which I thought was hysterical!

ORU NEWS
the funny thing is if Trump wanted to go to space he could easily build a company to make his own spacecraft or easily buy a ticket on one of the existing carriers. In fact it's too bad he hasn't evinced any desire to do. I wonder what kind of craft he would come up with?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The funny thing is they're typically Conservative Christians. I guess that means not all Conservative Christians hate or fear Muslims huh? What I'd like to know though, which is more PC whiny? The students who are invested in the school that don't want want to be associated with Trump or hate and fear? Or the people that think they should shut up?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
The funny thing is they're typically Conservative Christians. I guess that means not all Conservative Christians hate or fear Muslims huh? What I'd like to know though, which is more PC whiny? The students who are invested in the school that don't want want to be associated with Trump or hate and fear? Or the people that think they should shut up?

Free speech is only for real Americans, Kali.

(I'd guess that the real issue for the ORU folks is that Trump doesn't stink of the right brand of Christianity ...)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If you don't like the guy, the response is to ban him from campus? This is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting, "La la la I can't hear you!"

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

He he, by a LONG shot Phage

Many things in the article are challenging at best.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join