It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Episcopal Church punished by global body for accepting gay marriage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Anglican leaders on Thursday temporarily restricted the role of the U.S. Episcopal Church in their global fellowship as a sanction over the American church's acceptance of gay marriage. Episcopalians have been barred for three years from any policy-setting positions in the Anglican Communion while a task force is formed that will try to reconcile conflicting views over sexuality in the 85-million-member family of churches. The Episcopal Church is the Anglican body in the United States. The announcement came near the end of a weeklong meeting in Canterbury, England, called by Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, to heal rifts over same-sex relationships and keep the Anglican Communion from splitting apart. Welby, the Anglican spiritual leader, does not have the authority to force a compromise. He set a news conference Friday in Canterbury to explain the leaders' decision.

LINK

I was wondering when this issue would become a problem for the church leaders because the bible speaks out about being homosexual.

So if Christians follow the teachings of the bible which includes the Old Testament than homosexuals should not be allowed within the church otherwise this would be hypocrisy.

To those who want to discuss the love Jesus spoke of...... remember:

Matthew 5:17 - "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.…

If Christians are required to follow the teachings of the bible; should we allow gays and lesbians to become church members?

What do you have to say?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
There's a lot of things that the Bible speaks out about that you christians ignore, but you always choose to focus on the persecution of gay people as you have done for over 2000 years.

Any such organisation needs to reform or disband in 2015, you're making the word a worse place to live in.
edit on 15-1-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Good for them! Way to stand up for whats right, instead of bending over to the literal translation of a 2000 year old fairy tail

To me, their actions are much more christ-like than rejecting a persons right to have a unity of love would be.
edit on 15/1/16 by Ghost147 because: added a sentence

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
So if Christians follow the teachings of the bible which includes the Old Testament than homosexuals should not be allowed within the church otherwise this would be hypocrisy.

I say if you are going to walk down this line of reasoning, then start prosecuting adulterers more extremely than homosexuals. Oh yeah, and be sure to stone your disobedient children.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
There's a lot of things that the Bible speaks out about that you christians ignore, but you always choose to focus on the persecution of gay people as you have done for over 2000 years.

Technically the early church had no problems with gay marriage. After all, there is evidence they performed them. So it hasn't been over 2000 years. More like 1500 years or so.
edit on 15-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If not one jot or tittle will pass from the law, why do Christians wear mixed fabrics, let their hair grow long, get tattoos, etc., etc.?

How about you either follow all of it or none of it? Because picking and choosing what you want to believe or follow makes you look like a hypocrite, especially when you try to deny two people their love for each other.
edit on 1/15/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
I was wondering when this issue would become a problem for the church leaders because the bible speaks out about being homosexual.

This issue (homosexuality) has been "a problem" for church leaders (and MANY of their followers) for a very long time, because THEY MAKE IT A PROBLEM. Their "righteous" judgment of other people makes it a very big problem (for them).

If churches refused entry to all sinners, how many people would be in church? Answer: 0

If Christians are required to follow the teachings of the bible; should we allow gays and lesbians to become church members?

What sis Jesus say about allowing sinners in the Church? Luke 5:32: "I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
edit on 1/15/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Let's not forget what Jesus said about homosexuality either:

Very powerful words here.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The problem is not homosexuality per se. The problem is, and has always been the churches obsession with ruling the world, and micro-managing peoples lives. Especially their sex lives.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This really should not be a problem in 2016.

These people are obsessed and possibly latent homosexuals themselves.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I was raised going to the Episcopal Church in the 60s and 70s. They have accepted women as deacons and priests, and homosexuals also - for decades now.

Sure, some traditionalists didn't like that, but it never bothered me. Very tolerant bunch.
edit on 1/15/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

What does your bible say about the judgement of others? How about the condemning of others or false accusations against others (i.e. destroying the sanctity of marriage)?

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

edit on 1/15/2016 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I draw the line at saying gays shouldn't be allowed. The church is a place for redemption of all sinners, including gays. What is really being spoken against is sexual sin which would be the practice of homosexuality.

And let's be plain here - how many who sit in a pew on Sunday are free and clear of all sin, sexual or otherwise, in their day to day lives? How many who sit there even try to live free and clear of sin, minor or major, once they leave church on Sunday?

However, the church should not openly endorse the practice of any sin, including people who live together without marriage, divorce for any reasons other than the ones stated, remarriage to those who divorced for reasons not stated, etc., either, and it definitely should not presume to bless a gay union and call it marriage as the Bible has made it clear this is not God's definition or purpose for marriage.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
This really should not be a problem in 2016.

These people are obsessed and possibly latent homosexuals themselves.

You are talking about a worldwide church and the ones who have the biggest problem with this are countries very newly converted and very conservative many of which have laws against homosexuality in their governments aside from anything their churches might be saying. Often we are talking about countries in Africa who may also have populations of Muslims whom, I am told, also don't allow the practice of homosexuality or homosexual marriage ...

But maybe you could shed some light on that one?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The missionairies that are going over there are NOT preaching Episcopalian values.

They are fundamentalist nutters. They are telling people to pour acid down kids' throats.....to suspect them of witchcraft and order exorcisms. That is ridiculous, cultish, and barbaric......

that is not Episcopalian.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I draw the line at saying gays shouldn't be allowed. The church is a place for redemption of all sinners, including gays.

Wow. How surprisingly benevolent of you.

What is really being spoken against is sexual sin which would be the practice of homosexuality.

Wait.
What?????
So - they can be how they are, but not express it....? That's your verdict on it? And if they do, and get caught, then what?! Emotional torture, abandonment, and/or pity?

And even if they're not caught, they still have to carry around the shame and condemnation that they know you lot have prescribed. Their elders, and family, and friends, and 'pastoral leaders'.

They have to live every day under the horrible mental torment of having been convinced BY YOU that they are filthy sinners, abominations who will burn in hell.....no matter what else they do. They live tortured.....because they LISTENED TO YOU.

sick

And let's be plain here - how many who sit in a pew on Sunday are free and clear of all sin, sexual or otherwise, in their day to day lives?

Zero.

How many who sit there even try to live free and clear of sin, minor or major, once they leave church on Sunday?

That's like asking "how many who sit there speak a dialect that I recognize?".....

However, the church should not openly endorse the practice of any sin, including people who live together without marriage, divorce for any reasons other than the ones stated, remarriage to those who divorced for reasons not stated, etc., either, and it definitely should not presume to bless a gay union and call it marriage as the Bible has made it clear this is not God's definition or purpose for marriage.

WoW.

Wow.

So -

nm. Just wow.

And here I thought you were a Libertarian sort. You were talking about kids not being "brought up proper" the other day.....
but in general in the past you have lashed out at people who think they can offer guidance and help to new parents trying to learn about raising their kids. You condemn the idea that there should be standards.......

Now you're a private school mom - I thought you were going to home-school! Why aren't you?

I don't get it - but nevermind. It doesn't matter. Just keep doing the best you can.

Oh - one other random question -----
do you and your husband talk about this stuff over dinner, in front of your kid?
Just curious.

That is just really scary. And sick.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

It's the church. It is their choice to follow. No one said you have to get into it.

So, um, why do you care so much?

And yes, when I read the Bible, that's what it says. Sin is the act, not the person.

Btw, you can love someone without having to have sex with them. Try this exercise. Draw a basic, two-circle Venn diagram. One side list the names of those you want to have sex with. One the other side list the names of those whom you truly love. In reality, you should have very, very few names overlap.

Sex and love are not the same for all that our society continually tries to conflate them.

PS, Libertarian just means I don't like having laws passed, not that I personally am not socially conservative or religious.

edit on 15-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

It's the church. It is their choice to follow. No one said you have to get into it.

Why do I care so much?????

Seriously? Have you really not been tracking our years-long conversation?

I object to the doctrines of teaching little kids they are sinners, bound for hell, hopelessly flawed, defective abominations.
You're really just now knowing this?

ugh. I was raised in the Episcopal church! Were you? No? Then you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
ugh!!!!!!
Why I bother, I don't know.
Here you go....

Speak for your own religion - do NOT project your beliefs about the afterlife onto others that are nowhere near as judgmental as you are.

And stop giving me your "try this" crap.
I'm so done with this stagnant conversation.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Why don't you care about the belittlement of other people? Why don't you care about equality? Why do you care who sleeps with another person, it doesn't affect you?

"why can't you just leave us alone to our hatred of others who do not follow exactly what I believe is right"
edit on 15/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

And yes, when I read the Bible, that's what it says. Sin is the act, not the person.

And by the way, as I'm gathering up my things......
- I asked you long ago, and you never answered:

How will you respond if your little boy tells you that he feels like he's really a girl, or that he's gay?
Tomorrow, or next week, or in 30 years........

WHAT WILL YOU DO?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join