It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burial in Western Canada Offers Hints of First Encounters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Before you go crazy and think we've found an archaeological site on alien-first-encounters, let me explain that the term 'first encounter' in this context refers to Canadian aboriginals' first encounters with Europeans. Sorry to get your hopes up! But, it's pretty darn interesting nonetheless

A farmer in western Canada alerted authorities after he discovered a human skull in a field during last summer’s drought. Once scientists determined that the skull dated to the early nineteenth century, the site was excavated by a team from the Archaeological Survey of Alberta. The scientists uncovered the rest of the skeleton, some 3,000 beads, jewelry, European-style brass buttons from a military jacket, and a thimble.

Experts from the University of Alberta determined that the bones had belonged to a 13 or 14-year-old girl. “Because she was buried in what appears to be a shallow grave away from any known sites that we believe would have been important at that time, it is possible that she died in transit between two locations. But at this point it is all very much a mystery,” Matthew Wangler, Alberta Culture’s director of historical resources, told CBC News. But the researchers think she may have been the daughter of a chief who was traveling on a trade route between a European fort and an aboriginal settlement when she died. The girl’s remains and the artifacts were reburied in a ceremony near the original site.

Source

It's nice to see some archaeological discoveries so close to home (for my location at least). Hopefully the researchers will learn a great deal of information from this find.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
ancient & lost civilizations

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Clicked with expectation of being disappointed...could not be more disappointed.... but SnF for science

A2D

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

Clicked with expectation of being disappointed...could not be more disappointed.... but SnF for science

A2D

lol. it's not my title! it's the title of the article

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

A2D

lol. it's not my title! it's the title of the article

Naaw man great find,and it didn't matter if were pre Colombian or post Colombian at first contact as it would be a life and culture changing event, off world contact would have been Wow!! but would also require extraordinary proof.
edit on 5-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
but would also require extraordinary proof.

and a different forum

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147nice find
ATS is being dodgy, and self posted while I was typing
anyway nice find, but I would hesitate to call it evidence of first contact, being that there was a fort already there. First contact was surely with fur trappers and the like. The French trappers penetrated deep into Canada long before there was any military presence.

edit on p0000001k24122016Tue, 05 Jan 2016 13:24:34 -0600k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Very nice find -- I'm particularly interested in the beads and hope they can retrieve some of the pattern!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

We need an Archaeology forum!!!

Right now this is the place I come to find Archaeology subjects at ATS. Otherwise they are scattered based on a dig's social or political facet.

Mick Aston as the official Patron saint

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Right now this is the place I come to find Archaeology subjects at ATS. Otherwise they are scattered based on a dig's social or political facet.

Mick Aston as the official Patron saint

Well, Archaeology is the study of human activity in the past, so I'd say the Ancient & lost civilization forum suits it well.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

You posted this in that forum. This is a conspiracy site however and some topics here may stray out of conventional Archaeology topics due to the nature of ATS.

With a little looking you will find some truly great threads in this forum. Take some time and search through them.

top topics

join