It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Anti-Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
It looks like Microsoft decided to enter the Anti-Virus detection and removal software sector.

www.eweek.com...

---
Continuing its recent spate of security moves, Microsoft Corp. on Thursday said it plans to release a virus detection and removal tool on Jan. 11. The antivirus fighter will be updated on the second Tuesday of every month as part of the company's scheduled software patching cycle.
---

Let me guess...the software will be on a 3.5" floppy with your basic MSDOS files, especially the one named FDISK.EXE. Add a couple of switches (like /y) and you're on a good start. Only that way will your virus be removed.
Honestly, I would not install AV software created by MSFT on my dedicated PC. I have 2 other test PCs that I would run them on, but not while on my internal network. I'll just stick to NOD32.

NVBadBoy

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I think thay need someting after waching bill gates yesterday at ces and half the stuff did not work.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Actaully, BadBoy, this should be title anti-spyware, not anti-virus. They both attack your PC, but I don't think viruses and spyware are the same thing at all.

See ATSNN here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I have a scary question.

Will M$'s anti-virus software be as buggy and full of holes and exploits as windows operating system?

Will hackers go to work on it as soon as it is launched? (Yeah, like we all don't know)

Does this signal the start of M$ putting anti-virus and anti-spy ware out of business like it did in the browser wars?

Will M$ just buy all the companies-65 billion or so in cash just burning a whole in their pocket.

DTOM,

M$ launched an anti-spy ware (beta) program (free download and updates)

www.microsoft.com...

and it is supposed to launch a separate anti-virus/worm/+ "removal tool" This is not prevention (though they intend to do that soon) it is removal only.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This isn't a full anti-virus program yet, but Microsoft does plan on rolling out a an anti-virus program in the future. The anti-spyware is just one step in that direction. One thing that I thought was odd was the request to validate your Windows software as being genuine before allowing the download. Of course for now they will allow you to skip this step but in the future they may not be so nice. Sounds like another way for Microsoft to bug you about your copy of Windows.

EDIT: Microsoft anti-spyware changes your home page to "MSN.com". It's nice to know that their spyware blocks all other spyware. It's almost like they want to be the exclusive spies and keep everyone else out.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by dbates]

top topics

join